Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Price of fish n chips / takeaway

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
For my Friday fish lunch I went to a place in Lancing.

Small chips.
Small cod.
Mushy peas.

£9.50

Generous portions, I’ll give them that but that’s pricey, eh? I’m sure it’s the same across the South but in York recently I enjoyed some of the best fish n chips I’ve ever had for £4

What do you pay for your fish supper? Or indeed any takeaway food?

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Small chips.
Small cos.
Mushy peas.

£9.50

Generous portions, I’ll give them that but that’s pricey, eh? I’m sure it’s the same across the South but in York recently I enjoyed some of the best fish n chips I’ve ever had for £4

Does seem a bit steep for a small lettuce with chips and peas.

Small chips.
Small cos.
Mushy peas.

£9.50

Does seem a bit steep for lettuce, peas and chips!

Our local chippy doesn't do lettuce, but regular cod (£7.50), regular chips (£3.00) and mushy peas (£1.80) is £12.30.

Again generous portions and very tasty.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Sign of the times. Pay even more round my way. It’s far from a rip off. Many have closed. People can’t afford, custom has dried up.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Sign of the times. Pay even more round my way. It’s far from a rip off. Many have closed. People can’t afford, custom has dried up.
My local chippie closed a few months ago mainly down to the energy costs of running a fryer and the cost of oil to cook in.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Lewes £6.70 Cod £2.80 Chips so £9.50 . However Chips are ample for two people. So £16.20 for two, a good feed.
Cheaper than Indian or Chinese takeaway !! Normal Indian takeaway for two £35

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Monty's of Leek (website available) regular chips 2.20, small fish 4.00,peas 1.20 and again at 1-20. So for two £17-40 it makes you think twice.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We shared a large Haddock and large chips last night from the chippy opposite West Worthing station, the Haddock was a bit small for " large " but masses of chips for £9.50. We don't bother with the miserly portions of Mushy peas they give you, we just open a can from the cupboard..

In a similar vein, Morrisons were recently offering a four pack of large Heinze Baked Beans as a "Special " for £3.99 ! a pound a can for baked beans !

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I don’t go to the chippy very often but just looked at the prices for one of the Newhaven shops out of curiosity.
Small chips £2.50
Small cod £6.50
Mushy peas £1.50

Another shop has cheaper prices on their website but a post on Trip adviser says the site is showing out of date prices.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
My local chippie closed a few months ago mainly down to the energy costs of running a fryer and the cost of oil to cook in.
Yep, all caused by. Fish & Chip shops been especially hit hard, entire sector. Main distributor also dropped such independent accounts. The pain and misery behind the front of house has been terrible. Beyond general publics knowledge. Worth remembering when we all complain about price. Soon you won’t be paying anything. Because won’t be anywhere to buy from!

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Blimey. How many side dishes?

We can just about manage 2 curries, one rice and one nan for about £21.
2 curries @ £9.50 one rice @ £5.80 1 Nan £3.60 1 Bombay Aloo £5.25 £33.65 Maybe two Popadums aswell.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
When I worked at a food outlet under the Palace Pier in the early '70's, fish & chips cost 26 p., and customers complained because they were so expensive!

Jul 7, 2003
Until recently my daughter worked for the local chippy which does good business - always big queues at weekends and not far from the seafront so plenty of summer trade.

Talking to the owner, he told me that his wholesale prices for the fish, potatoes and even things like sausages keep going up and there is only so much he can absorb before he has to put his own prices up. Energy bills are also hitting him hard. He knows a lot of his customers are pensioners so tries to keep costs down but ultimately, it is his business and he has to make a living.

He has just stopped opening on Tuesdays as the energy costs don't make it cost effective for him to open.

The comment about smaller portions is something you see across food and retail now. Pack sizes in supermarkets are getting smaller so it doesn't look like prices have gone up as much. In restaurants, portion control is very much a thing. You might find that your pizza has slightly less topping now - for example, taking off a couple of bits of pepperoni won't make much difference to you but across 100 pizzas it all adds to the savings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here