Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Price of fish n chips / takeaway

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We pay £17.50 for adult cod, chips, mushy peas, and a pensioner's huss with chips.

Fish and chips has always been a lot cheaper in Yorkshire.
This. A hussd and chips and plaice and chips for Mrs. Cowfold and l comes to over £20 at our chippy of choice, Kingfish in Henfield now.

I can remember back in the day when l used to travel away regularly with the Albion, fish and chips prior to a game cost an absolute pittance in comparison if eaten anywhere north of Watford.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
2 Medium cod, 2 medium chips. Mushy peas and scraps for £15

Its probably the cheapest take out available to us now as Pizza prices are ridiculous for what they are
Scraps? I haven't seen those on the menu in any takeaway fish and chip shop in this part of the world, for donkey's years now.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Two in Seaford town centre, Trawlers and Osbourne’s. Trawlers used to be excellent, then prices went up (around 20% uplift across the board), portions and quality went down. I last went in February and it was shocking. A bunch of sixteen year olds running the place, no quality control.

But they’ve just (in the last few weeks) been taken over by new owners, so giving them another try tonight. Will report on prices and quality.

Osbourne’s is sometimes okay, slightly cheaper than Trawlers, had a couple of bad ones from there in the past though. Mentioned it to the staff and they didn’t give a shit, quite literally told me to go to Trawlers as “it is what it is with us”. So I’ve never been back.

Delicious Doner is the kebab place in town, very average, quite expensive as they have the monopoly. Usually only when hammered.
We go to Seaford for evenings by the sea most years. The one in Claremont Road (the road that comes up from the seafront to meet the end of the Buckle bypass) is excellent, and I think its prices are slightly less than the two in the town centre. It's a pain to park, though, as it's very popular and there is a convenience store and a Chinese takeaway on the same parade. I agree about the other two: we used to go to Trawlers then it went poor, so moved to Osbourne's and had several good meals from there, but the last one (pre-pandemic, so nearly 4 years ago) was very poor and we haven't gone back.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We go to Seaford for evenings by the sea most years. The one in Claremont Road (the road that comes up from the seafront to meet the end of the Buckle bypass) is excellent, and I think its prices are slightly less than the two in the town centre. It's a pain to park, though, as it's very popular and there is a convenience store and a Chinese takeaway on the same parade. I agree about the other two: we used to go to Trawlers then it went poor, so moved to Osbourne's and had several good meals from there, but the last one (pre-pandemic, so nearly 4 years ago) was very poor and we haven't gone back.
Park on the seafront, it's only 10 mins walk up past Morrisons. It's free on the seafront.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I REALLY dislike batter. I think it RUINS a beautiful piece of fish.

So I buy the chips and curry sauce and then cook my own cod (takes about 4 minutes) and obviously hugely improves cost and health.

SUE ME.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
Large cod £9 and £3 for chips last time I went there, was shocked at the price of chips TBH as hadn't paid that before. I bought the smaller portion but had tons of them.

Curryisgreat

Dec 9, 2010
Now you’re being silly. North Yorkshire is 90% richer than West Yorkshire with Thirsk, Harrogate, Scarborough, Knaresborough, Beverley etc.
Scarborough. Nice seaside town but the demographic that live there are certainly not rich compared to the average…

Blimey at these prices 3 portions of FNC and I could save money by getting a deep fat fryer and buying supermarket fish which is like £5 for four portions then throw the fryer away cos I can't be arsed to clean it!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Blimey at these prices 3 portions of FNC and I could save money by getting a deep fat fryer and buying supermarket fish which is like £5 for four portions then throw the fryer away cos I can't be arsed to clean it!
This is what you need. £3 - does two of us. As close to chippie chips as you can get - costed in beef dripping, stick in a normal oven - jobs' a good'un.

1684446496571.png

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I REALLY dislike batter. I think it RUINS a beautiful piece of fish.

So I buy the chips and curry sauce and then cook my own cod (takes about 4 minutes) and obviously hugely improves cost and health.

SUE ME.
I may just sue you actually. But it wouldn't be for the lack of batter, it would be for the addition of curry sauce!

I mean with fish and chips? really? Lashings of salt an vinegar should be the only additions.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Large cod £9 and £3 for chips last time I went there, was shocked at the price of chips TBH as hadn't paid that before. I bought the smaller portion but had tons of them.
Spuds now £17 a bag ( 25kg )....were £10 in January.
Most shops haven't put their chips up by 70% so they are still value for money. My local was £2.20 in Jan. Now £2.50.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here