Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Price of fish n chips / takeaway

Jul 7, 2003
Seeing the ‘freshly battered’ bit on those menus reminds me of the now closed Horns Lodge in Chailey. Some friends and I went there one evening and one ordered the freshly battered fish in Harveys beer batter. It arrived with a nice crisp batter so my friend cut into the fish, only to find that while it may have been freshly battered, the fish was still encased in cling film.

veuve

Jun 27, 2015
Takeaways too expensive but my local a green king pub does a lunchtime deal 2 meals for 12 quid.Fandc decent so two meals and a pint and half for under twenty quid.

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
For my Friday fish lunch I went to a place in Lancing.

Small chips.
Small cod.
Mushy peas.

£9.50

Generous portions, I’ll give them that but that’s pricey, eh? I’m sure it’s the same across the South but in York recently I enjoyed some of the best fish n chips I’ve ever had for £4

What do you pay for your fish supper? Or indeed any takeaway food?
Two medium cod and one large chips £22 at our chippie in Swindon!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Two in Seaford town centre, Trawlers and Osbourne’s. Trawlers used to be excellent, then prices went up (around 20% uplift across the board), portions and quality went down. I last went in February and it was shocking. A bunch of sixteen year olds running the place, no quality control.

But they’ve just (in the last few weeks) been taken over by new owners, so giving them another try tonight. Will report on prices and quality.

Osbourne’s is sometimes okay, slightly cheaper than Trawlers, had a couple of bad ones from there in the past though. Mentioned it to the staff and they didn’t give a shit, quite literally told me to go to Trawlers as “it is what it is with us”. So I’ve never been back.

Delicious Doner is the kebab place in town, very average, quite expensive as they have the monopoly. Usually only when hammered.

SteveU

May 31, 2022
Had a delivery from Old Nicks in Worthing last night, it’s the first time in ages we have had any form of takeaway. Prices just don’t justify it anymore.

Large cod and chips and large jumbo battered sausage and chips £16.95.

We tried Old Nicks and didn’t think it was that great, used Findon Fish bar as it’s only up the road but recently used Steve’s opp Lyon’s Farm and it’s even better.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Intrigued. Any pics of this odd looking burger bar?
I’ll get one for you if I can later.

Looks like half an old Tudor cottage mixed with a public lavatory.

It’s a strange place.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Medium cod, small chips - £9.80 Trawlers. Tasty, reasonable sized portion.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I have fish supper every night

Jay.jpeg

NEASTGULL

Sep 30, 2006
Gateshead
Just had a Fish and Chip meal delivered from a chippy for the first time in a while and whilst the prices had increased slightly found it slightly cheaper than expected although I appreciate that a lot of things are cheaper up here.

1684006374637.png

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I always thought that the further away you were from the sea made fish more expensive - transportation costs.
i.e. I would expect say Newhaven to be cheaper than say Northampton.

My nearest seaside is about 100 miles away and last Tuesday I paid £8.50 for a regular cod and regular chips at my local.
Reasonable?
It was cooked nice but was a bit on the small [portion] size.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Fish and chips at our local chippie is $11.
That is about 5.50 in pounds.
Though you do get 2 x sensible sized pieces of batteted barramundi and plenty of chips.
Over here, when you order fish and chips, you always get 2 x fish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here