[Food] Price of fish n chips / takeaway

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
There was a survey before Covid that said that, on average, families had 3 takeaways as week. I wonder what it is now? We have only ever had one a month at most.
We have maybe 2 or 3 takeaways a year so the average elsewhere must be very high!

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
That’s Mr Chips.

I’d rank the Lancing hippies (sic) in this order:

1. Taylor’s
2. Penhill
3. Mr Chips
4. Salt & Vinegar/Codfather or whatever it’s called right now.
I was really rating MrChips on cost although I think they are quite good, Penhill I find ok but boy is the guy who works there the most miserable individual puts me off and not tried Codfather as it’s shut more often than open and never used Taylors but maybe I need to give them a try

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I have always found that no matter how good/expensive a restaurant is, they never, ever do fish and chips as well as a proper chippy. For years I was a Bardsley's fan but I'm afraid that Bankers at Norfolk square has been better for the last 10 years.

Although sitting outside the Regency with a bit of fish, a glass of wine and four carriages of traffic has always been strangely attractive :wink:

Last edited:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
We have maybe 2 or 3 takeaways a year so the average elsewhere must be very high!
Yup. Approaching daily I reckon. Some nursery school kids my wife used to teach used to have Maccie D's 3 or 4 times a week.
Oh and I delivered Pizzas for a while when I came back from SA and the same customers ordered multiple times a week.

Last edited:

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
We pay £17.50 for adult cod, chips, mushy peas, and a pensioner's huss with chips.

Fish and chips has always been a lot cheaper in Yorkshire.
I have two nephews living in York and also have business connections there. My favourite place up north by a country mile, absolutely love it, but not cheap. Is it the exception to the rule?

Hovegull

Nov 27, 2022
I have always found that no matter how good/expensive a restaurant is, they never, ever do fish and chips as well as a proper chippy. For years I was a Bardsley's fan but I'm afraid that Bankers at Norfolk square has been better for the last 10 years.

Although sitting outside the Regency with a bit of fish, a glass of wine and four carriages of traffic has always been strangely attractive :wink:
Agreed. Been having Bankers for 20 years and it’s always stayed top quality.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have two nephews living in York and also have business connections there. My favourite place up north by a country mile, absolutely love it, but not cheap. Is it the exception to the rule?
York is North Yorkshire which is expensive.
West & South Yorkshire are more working class, and cheaper.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
York is North Yorkshire which is expensive.
West & South Yorkshire are more working class, and cheaper.
Except for Sheffield which is MASSIVE

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Medium cod and chips in Brighton £9 tonight - mind you, they could probably see that I’d had a few so added a drunkards levy.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The cost of oil, running the cookers, ingredients, wages have all rocketed. R4 have covered this in detail, lots of takeaways are closing.

We like Bankers Hangleton for fish n chips. It has become expensive compared to a couple of years back.

But still scrumptuous.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
He’s such a dickhead, I made those laminated signs for his shop he has stuck up, saying cash only, and pensioners deal, etc as I was annoyed by the shitty bits paper with pencil stuck on the counter.
that was before covid, and I went backstage so to speak, I notice he has marker penned over one of them.
Cash only for a reason, he spends most of it in the bookies, I also went to measure up for new flooring….
how that place has a cleanliness licence or whatever is beyond me, the pre made pots of curry sauce in the out house had flies in them, I saw a dead mouse behind a vat of oil, disgusting, I stopped going after that, needless to say I over priced the job, so we didn’t have to do it.

The odd looking burger bar two doors up, is way better.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
All this talk of chip shops and surprised that @Herr Tubthumper hasn’t mentioned the much missed Sing Li.

Used to be the Best in Brighton, good quality, good portions and an absolute bargain. Small chips, battered sausage, curry sauce and a coke for about 4 quid. Great curry sauce too, none of that lumpy shite!

What is it now? Take it its gone for good. Real shame.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Much as I feel the chippy's pain, some of them really don't do very much to help themselves. My local chippy has never once in decades swerved from its opening hours of 5pm to 8pm, five days a week. Nowadays it's sold out of pies by about half 6 and all that's left in the expensively-heated cabinet is a gruesome selection of pink saveloys. And of course it's CASH ONLY. I love the guys that run it dearly, they've served us brilliantly since my kids were toddlers, but in all honestly I don't know why they even bother anymore :shrug:
Yes but, if you're a regular, you get free pickled onions and the bill rounded down. I quite admire his attitude that he's making enough to get by on, and then having an early night.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
He’s such a dickhead, I made those laminated signs for his shop he has stuck up, saying cash only, and pensioners deal, etc as I was annoyed by the shitty bits paper with pencil stuck on the counter.
that was before covid, and I went backstage so to speak, I notice he has marker penned over one of them.
Cash only for a reason, he spends most of it in the bookies, I also went to measure up for new flooring….
how that place has a cleanliness licence or whatever is beyond me, the pre made pots of curry sauce in the out house had flies in them, I saw a dead mouse behind a vat of oil, disgusting, I stopped going after that, needless to say I over priced the job, so we didn’t have to do it.

The odd looking burger bar two doors up, is way better.
Blimey! That’s me out. I’ll go to the odd looking burger bar. It does look odd doesn’t it! Good shout.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports