[Albion] Potter IN or OUT - 10 January poll

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Potter IN or OUT

• Total voters

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
As someone who also looks at the bigger picture and long term, getting relegated would be pretty disastrous.

We could be relegated at any time. Perhaps it’s inevitable that we’ll be relegated. Most teams in the league have been.
We could gamble all of our money on a few Locadia’s and still go down.

That’s why everything Tony is doing is long term. High potential young players from other clubs. Our u23s, our development program, starting our own football philosophy. Everything in the club is geared towards long term. You may not like it, but that’s clearly the model Bloom wants.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Out. Regardless of tonight. But we really are shit.

That`s why i voted IN , we are not shit , but the way we are currently playing is . IF GP finds the sense to stop the stupid mistakes we are making , we will be a force . No one shows us up (brave with MC coming up) apart from ourselves . IF GP figures out how to change that quickly , he will make us a consistant threat like Saints , they are us but better managed . I dont think they have better players , but Hassenhutl has used what he has better than GP . :bhasign:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Against a team that has a £1 mil p/a wage cap and that play in the 4th division of English football!

And a very good record of upsetting or taking to the wire Premier league teams - better ones than us.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
We could be relegated at any time. Perhaps it’s inevitable that we’ll be relegated. Most teams in the league have been.
We could gamble all of our money on a few Locadia’s and still go down.

That’s why everything Tony is doing is long term. High potential young players from other clubs. Our u23s, our development program, starting our own football philosophy. Everything in the club is geared towards long term. You may not like it, but that’s clearly the model Bloom wants.

Yes, we *could*. But in my opinion, the squad is good enough to stay up. And based on the last year, the manager isn't.

FWIW, I am not Potter out...yet.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Yes, we *could*. But in my opinion, the squad is good enough to stay up. And based on the last year, the manager isn't.

Fair enough. Don’t forget amongst all this he kept us up last season with a records points total.

I still think we’ll be fine, but like everyone would be nice to get a few wins so we can relax a bit.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
He’s a fraud - as is Billy Reid and the Hamberg bloke, who I reckon got the job with potter because he beat him at a game of FIFA 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
In .... just.

He needs to adapt though. The 3-4-3 formation only works for me when we have Solly and Lamptey on either wing. There isn’t enough speed and direct running when others, such as Veltman or White play in this position. Players’ first touches seem to be cut inside and then pass it back across the middle again, we need to be quicker and more direct.

Another issue is that when we get in wide positions, especially on the right, it is Veltman or White delivering the cross. You want an attacker in these positions, who might take on a defender instead of always putting the cross in the box. There are similarities of the football under Hyypia with the complete wing backs he used to deploy. The issue is still the same, it’s taking too long for our wing backs to get into position and it slows the whole attack down.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Thank you for the nice words, If results are your only criteria then for you it is Potter out.

I tend to look at the bigger picture and long term. All the strides the club are making, how close we are to building something special. A manager who is not afraid to blood a young player in the team, who can set us up to dominate possession against any club. And truth be told. You’d have to have a heart of stone not to think we deserved more points then we got in some games (eg Man Utd 100th minute penalty).

If you’re just looking at black and white results and short term, then what sort of manger do you want? A firefighter? And what after that? Sack him and get another? Do you want the Watford model. Look at saints. Stability is key.

This is all getting away from my point, which is simply, it is disingenuous to consider people wanting him out as having knee jerk reactions. I'm not saying they are right, but they're not wildly lashing out tonight because we didn't win 5-0.

But to your point, it is naive to suggest results don't matter. While a billion pound entertainment industry has built up around it, Football is still at it's centre a sporting competition (or collection of competitions). So of course winning and losing is going to matter to some fans. It is at the core of the game. Would you be pointing to Southampton as an example if they weren't winning games? No, and therein is the crux - winning is important.

It's not an either/or thing. It's not 'fire your manager after every dropped point, or keep him no matter how many points are dropped'. Saints have fired managers in the past. They have stuck with Hasenhuttl because he has shown improvement, and that improvement has seen the team win more games and more points. Do you think they would have stuck with him if he was constantly struggling, losing 9-0 regularly just for the sake of stability? Compare this season's Southampton to last season and look at the improvement. I, personally, can't see anything close to the same level of improvement in Brighton over that same period.

It comes down to how long one is willing to accept poor results in pursuit of their particular dream team. The longer we go with just a single home win, the longer our league run goes on without a win, the more we drop points against teams below us, the more fans are going to turn because they are each reaching their tipping point based on a long run. It isn't knee jerk, it's a cumulative effect.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
But this is clearly knee jerk. How can it not be?

I think you're misreading the data and totally not getting Acker79s post. They're saying, simply, voting 'out' clearly isn't knee jerk as we've been awful for months.

As far as i am aware you can't change your answer in polls, so it isn't people voting 'out' on the final whistle and then changing their mind 30 minutes later. It's simply those who are particularly peed off with the way things are going angrily voting as soon as they can.
I bet very few of the however many 'outters' would change their mind a few minutes later.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I voted out. But I have been drinking. In vino, veritas? ???

Either the squad are poor or they have not been trained to be ruthless. Once again, tonight, our willingness in the box was . . . well I was tempted to make an inappropriate allusion, there, so best not, given my judgement is now on holiday.

In mitigation, that was one hell of a shit pitch.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I think you're misreading the data and totally not getting Acker79s post. They're saying, simply, voting 'out' clearly isn't knee jerk as we've been awful for months.

As far as i am aware you can't change your answer in polls, so it isn't people voting 'out' on the final whistle and then changing their mind 30 minutes later. It's simply those who are particularly peed off with the way things are going angrily voting as soon as they can.
I bet very few of the however many 'outters' would change their mind a few minutes later.

Fair enough. Maybe we shouldn’t have polls so regularly then.

Besides, only one vote that counts. Mr Bloom.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
This is all getting away from my point, which is simply, it is disingenuous to consider people wanting him out as having knee jerk reactions. I'm not saying they are right, but they're not wildly lashing out tonight because we didn't win 5-0.

But to your point, it is naive to suggest results don't matter. While a billion pound entertainment industry has built up around it, Football is still at it's centre a sporting competition (or collection of competitions). So of course winning and losing is going to matter to some fans. It is at the core of the game. Would you be pointing to Southampton as an example if they weren't winning games? No, and therein is the crux - winning is important.

It's not an either/or thing. It's not 'fire your manager after every dropped point, or keep him no matter how many points are dropped'. Saints have fired managers in the past. They have stuck with Hasenhuttl because he has shown improvement, and that improvement has seen the team win more games and more points. Do you think they would have stuck with him if he was constantly struggling, losing 9-0 regularly just for the sake of stability? Compare this season's Southampton to last season and look at the improvement. I, personally, can't see anything close to the same level of improvement in Brighton over that same period.

It comes down to how long one is willing to accept poor results in pursuit of their particular dream team. The longer we go with just a single home win, the longer our league run goes on without a win, the more we drop points against teams below us, the more fans are going to turn because they are each reaching their tipping point based on a long run. It isn't knee jerk, it's a cumulative effect.

This is a good post, and I don’t disagree with a lot of it to be honest. It’s actually very hard to be defending Potter in right now if results are the main factor. We’re clearly not doing well enough in the short term. Long term, I have laid out my case in my last post.

In fact yes, i agree with most your points. Hasenhuttl turned it round for Saints. That’s the challenge for GP now. This is a very challenging moment for him. I still believe we will have enough this season, he did it last time with record points.

Btw I don’t doubt that if we do go down, there’d be serious discussions and thoughts from our owner.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Fair enough. Maybe we shouldn’t have polls so regularly then.

Besides, only one vote that counts. Mr Bloom.

I think this poll is very valid.
No point taking it personally.
I'm certain there's some seriously hardcore Albion supporters voting 'out'.
And, i actually think that if we start to see 2 thirds voting out, Potter will be out. Clearly Bloom won't make decisions based on an NSC poll (or would he??) BUT that kind of result would be indicative of their being a serious problem.

We're nowhere near that point yet, and as you say, it's all down to Bloom anyway.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
That Leicester game was at the end of October and then Saints went on to win 4 games by the end of the year, I think. Then they had an amazing January.
And ended up in 11th.
People are quick to go on about Ralph as if they were rotten for months and months. It was a shocking result. And they started the season poorly. But he got a pretty immediate response. In fact, didn't they play Man City next two games and play very well in both?
Also, even before the Leicester game they'd won at least a couple of games (they beat us didn't they?).

It's really clutching at straws comparing our season to theirs last, and Potter to Hasenhüttl.

the

Jul 25, 2018
London
This is turning out to be an Eddie Howe situation (youngish English coach who the media is obsessed with), and might just end up with the team sleep walking into the Championship.

The squad is regressing and Potter is too stubborn to acknowledge that he doesn't have the right players to deploy the system he wants to deploy (playing out from the back with three defenders). Instead of changing tactics, he just rotates the same players who fail to deliver.

This is turning out to be an Eddie Howe situation (youngish English coach who the media is obsessed with), and might just end up with the team sleep walking into the Championship.

The squad is regressing and Potter is too stubborn to acknowledge that he doesn't have the right players to deploy the system he wants to deploy (playing out from the back with three defenders). Instead of changing tactics, he just rotates the same players who fail to deliver.

Spot on - it all starts with the regular clangers at the back, which has effectively destroyed the confidence of the squad. Dunk might have been our one guy good enough to play it but even his usually consistent standards are falling such is the rot setting in.

Potter is a naive idealist and people like that will attract a base of idealistic followers, and good luck to them they have that right to their beliefs. The rest of us have had a good look hoping it would work out but it hasn’t. We draw so many games because our confidence-shredded defence can’t keep leads. We need a new coach who will prioritise making us hard to score against and then use the undoubted talent in the squad to tick off those wins we desperately need

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Spot on - it all starts with the regular clangers at the back, which has effectively destroyed the confidence of the squad. Dunk might have been our one guy good enough to play it but even his usually consistent standards are falling such is the rot setting in.

Potter is a naive idealist and people like that will attract a base of idealistic followers, and good luck to them they have that right to their beliefs. The rest of us have had a good look hoping it would work out but it hasn’t. We draw so many games because our confidence-shredded defence can’t keep leads. We need a new coach who will prioritise making us hard to score against and then use the undoubted talent in the squad to tick off those wins we desperately need

Any manager worth their salt, any, would come in to the club and start from the back. That is what you do when a team is struggling. Get things organised, keep things tight. Do that and the results will slowly come. Then you start worrying about the rest. It's not about being more defensive, it's about being better defensively.
You do wonder why Potter seems to have no interest in that.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

That would be true- except that here are previous poll results:

Screenshot 2021-01-11 013033.jpg

Huge knee jerk reaction after the Arsenal match. Back to normal four days later. In fact, after the third goal went in an increased number of ins. Should have seen things prior !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports