Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter IN or OUT - 10 January poll

Potter IN or OUT

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I would imagine it has nothing to do with Potter and but all to do with Ben Roberts. I can’t blame Potter for Steele’s errors but he did pick him. I can blame Potter for yet another dreadful performance and another 90 mins without a win!

Oh no, are we out of the Cup, bugger (yes I know you said 90 mins but a wins a win :wink:)

Ice Man

Jan 5, 2006
The problem for the "In" crowd is that their basis for wanting Potter to remain is based on a lot of wish-thinking... "We're playing well, the wins will come" "Our xG is really good, eventually we'll start getting results". Some would argue that we're not even playing that well now, but either way how long can we realistically keep waiting for these wins before it's too late?

Or you get the classic "The players aren't good enough". This may well be true, but Potter has been here a while now. Two of the big money signings that were supposed to improve us really aren't looking up to much at the moment, actually they look like they're getting worse (Maupay, Trossard). The squad is far too big and completely unbalanced (Not completely his fault to be fair), but some of the players look so devoid of confidence. The defending has become worse even though the quality and depth of our defence is the best it has been since we've been in the Premier League. We're still not clinical, and we seem to be playing at a slower tempo now more than we did last season. AJ clearly isn't good enough for English football, the evidence for this is palpable, he shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

So much more I could add. I don't even think sacking Potter will make an enormous difference but the case against him is certainly stronger than the case for him, in my eyes. It may well be a "long term" project but I'm not seeing much in the short term to suggest we should proceed with Potter long term.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
In. Tonight was always going to be a dogfight, but we are so slow going forward.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Not sure what people were expecting. Newport’s record in the cup games against prem opposition is very good. We dominated play on a ploughed field and their keeper made two very good saves. Personally I thought it was a decent away performance against a very dangerous lower league opposition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

This flabbergasts me. In light of our injures we put out a full strength squad and still couldn’t beat a LEAGUE TWO team in 90 minutes - not even in 120! Our bar has fallen so low that many consider that a decent day at the office.

dstanman

Jul 1, 2011
It's the FA cup away to a lower league side, but gives you little confidence for us remaining in the Premier League

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Wolves?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
It’s a cup game on a ploughed field and the MOTM is the Newport keeper

Accurate analysis. We played well.

Potter in for 10 years I hope. Would be an incredibly good thing.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
We were humble and tried our best to win.

What more do people want?

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
This flabbergasts me. In light of our injures we put out a full strength squad and still couldn’t beat a LEAGUE TWO team in 90 minutes - not even in 120! Our bar has fallen so low that many consider that a decent day at the office.

Neither could Leeds, Leicester, and Spurs all of whom have all lost in recent seasons. Newcastle won on penalties in EFL cup this season.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Some of us have seen the FA Cup before. Dyche didnt get sacked when Burnley lost to Lincoln, Alex Ferguson didnt get sacked when they lost to League One Leeds, Bielsa wont be sacked because they lost to Crawley... just to mention some. Its a difficult and wonderful cup and some are aware of it.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
There does appear to be issues in and around the squad. Ryan is obviously one, his fall from first team slot is more than down to save ratio. Potter hates talking to the press that's obvious and the players don't appear in interviews very often. It appears to a very closed shop when it comes to exposure to the media. Potter actually shows some disdain when asked perfectly good questions, especially given our current position.

There's players that are not doing what they've done previously, is it down to coaching or confidence? Tonight we should have won at a canter and though some are saying how bad we played, we created enough to win. Newport is a graveyard for many top sides but apart from individual errors they didn't lay a glove on us in truth. You can see why they cause trouble to better teams at home.

What I do I want from Potter? More engagement with the press, a more positive demeanour. Big up his players to the listening crowd. He doesn't come over as someone who praises the team often his words sound hollow and the togetherness has gone.

I like the intent to play but something is wrong. Really would like to know an insiders view. You normally get an idea when players speak to the press but we get nothing. The only thing I would say is Dunk had a chance to move on, he didn't but would have if unhappy.

Potter balancing on the fence to me.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Never could Leeds, Leicester, and Spurs all of whom have all lost in recent seasons. Newcastle won on penalties in EFL cup this season.

They gave Man City a scare when White was on loan there.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
There does appear to be issues in and around the squad. Ryan is obviously one, his fall from first team slot is more than down to save ratio. Potter hates talking to the press that's obvious and the players don't appear in interviews very often. It appears to a very closed shop when it comes to exposure to the media. Potter actually shows some disdain when asked perfectly good questions, especially given our current position.

There's players that are not doing what they've done previously, is it down to coaching or confidence? Tonight we should have won at a canter and though some are saying how bad we played, we created enough to win. Newport is a graveyard for many top sides but apart from individual errors they didn't lay a glove on us in truth. You can see why they cause trouble to better teams at home.

What I do I want from Potter? More engagement with the press, a more positive demeanour. Big up his players to the listening crowd. He doesn't come over as someone who praises the team often his words sound hollow and the togetherness has gone.

I like the intent to play but something is wrong. Really would like to know an insiders view. You normally get an idea when players speak to the press but we get nothing. The only thing I would say is Dunk had a chance to move on, he didn't but would have if unhappy.

Very good post. Thought provoking points [emoji106]. I would only take umbrage with this though: “Tonight we should have won at a canter”.

This is the FA cup. If that was the case there’d never be giant killings. Bielsaball should have beaten Crawley at a canter, it didn’t. It’s classic, dodgy pitch, small team gets an upset.

Truth be told we played ok. But same old story. Can’t take our chances. Even Percy had a great opportunity and skyed it. We gave it away at the end too.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Some of us have seen the FA Cup before. Dyche didnt get sacked when Burnley lost to Lincoln, Alex Ferguson didnt get sacked when they lost to League One Leeds, Bielsa wont be sacked because they lost to Crawley... just to mention some. Its a difficult and wonderful cup and some are aware of it.

Firstly, I don’t appreciate the patronising tone. I’ve spent my entire life watching Brighton in the FA Cup. I’m fully aware that big teams can be knocked out by minnows - that’s the beauty of it. It doesn’t make it okay though for the “giant” that’s been slayed though, does it? I doubt Bielsa’s patting his lads on the back tonight.

Secondly, it’s about context. Albion lost to Lincoln City in our promotion year. It was bloody disappointing at the time to be ousted by a team two divisions below us, but easy to get over because we were having a wonderful season. The difference here is that we are having an increasingly poor season. We haven’t beaten anybody in the PL for a long time and now we can’t beat a League Two team in 90/120 minutes with Potter playing a full strength team (minus Steele and in light of injuries) for crying out loud.

Logically, at what point do you see us winning a game of football? Because we’re going to have to win some to survive, let alone show progression from last year.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Out. Out. Out. The clappers saying we’re playing this mystery amazing football are the same people who said the emperor was wearing clothes. We are awful to watch. Slow ponderous sideways stuff, loads of bad passing, loads of individual errors, loads of missed chances, consistently terrible defending, and actual lack of effort to get into positions.

It’s not Potters fault though.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
If someone asked me what does Potter do well as as a manager I'd struggle to really give a quick and compelling answer.

With CH you could say straight away he at least bought some defensive strengths to the squad as a manager and his dour teams reflected that.

Potter's sides however have no identity, nothing that stamps them as being a team more a collective of individuals.

Potter is remarkably unremarkable in how his team's come across. As does he in interviews.

I guess the players performances reflect on him as a persona.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008

Great post. Wish he was more positive. So bland and boring. I seems to have rubbed off on the team in certain aspects.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here