Potter IN or OUT

• Total voters

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
That would be true- except that here are previous poll results:

View attachment 132348

Huge knee jerk reaction after the Arsenal match. Back to normal four days later. In fact, after the third goal went in an increased number of ins. Should have seen things prior !

I think the Arsenal game is an anomaly because of the significant change to the team - that's the game we started with no strikers, and a perceived significantly weaker side which upset a lot of people.

I think it's also worth noting that the polls went from anonymous to not anonymous, which will always have an impact. So there is a danger of reading too much into a trend, especially one based on only a handful of data points, as well as the general dangers of comparing NSC respondents with the fan base at large.

I perhaps should acknowledge that I am probably going too far in certitude the other way from Vagabond. There likely are a number of fans who do lash out in disappointment after a result that isn't pleasing (scraping a win after penalties really complicates being able to just write 'bad result', how can winning be a bad result!), but equally, it goes both ways - just as some will have are 'out' because we needed penalties to beat a league two team, there will those that are 'in' simply because we won the shoot out.

I believe the numbers of those that sway with results, whether they are on NSC, voted, or not, are not a significant chunk of the numbers, and because they go both ways they kinda cancel themselves out.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The problem is a crisis of confidence in front of goal by certain players, changing the manager will not resolve that.

Sadly this was obvious at the start of the season however we may resolve this in the current transfer window

Happy to stand corrected, but isn't it the manager ( and coaching staff) who are responsible for team/squad morale, attitude, and approach.

GP may have emotional management qualities but he doesn't have a rutheless streak in him. Being nice is getttin us nowhere.

we are the Johnny Herbert of the PL up against 17 or 18 Sennas/Schumachers. Even Damon Hill has a harder stare than GP.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The problem is a crisis of confidence in front of goal by certain players, changing the manager will not resolve that.

Sadly this was obvious at the start of the season however we may resolve this in the current transfer window

Doesn't explain why Tau absolutely shanked a sitter when he's been here two minutes.

We put ourselves under way too much pressure in most of our games. Newcastle is the only game where we've looked comfy at the back and, guess what, we looked great and scored three.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Football isnt "logic" in that way, its far less binary. Liverpool could go unbeaten for about 28-29 games and then lose to a team like Watford. Sheffield could end up 9th in the PL one season, spend a lot of money and then months later have 2 points after 16 or 17 games into the next season.

Yes, that's all true - but despite that freak result, Watford still went down. Sheffield will be on their way down unless something radically changes. Norwich had a similar post-lockdown run of form and went down. Clubs can't keep hoping blindly that poor result after poor result the same manager/system/players will beat City 3-0 in a freak result. Albion don't just need one win - we need plenty, and plenty more besides if we want to kick on from last year - something I'm sure both GP and TB desperately desire.

GP took a risk last night. I can see his logic: he put out his strongest team to try and negate the possibility of an upset. On paper with a PL starting XI (minus Steele), that should have been a 3-0 win with Maupay scoring a couple and the whole team brimming with positivity ahead of Wednesday. But, the alternative is that your best team don't win, and thus it completely backfires (except for winning on pennos). The same team that is supposed to be looking for wins against Leeds and Fulham in the next fortnight couldn't even beat Newport County of League Two. On top of that, the vast majority of these players will now have to play on Wednesday against Manchester City after having played 120 minutes of football in Wales last night. And I can't imagine Maupay, Bissouma and Pröpper's confidence is higher than it was at 19:45 last night after missing those penalties either.

I usually steer clear of calling for somebody's job - it's their livelihood, and GP seems like a good, dignified man. However, his starting PL XI can't beat anybody at the moment, as last night proved. I can understand people pointing fingers at the players and recruitment, but every single one of those players out there last night are easily good enough to beat a League Two level. We may argue whether some of them are PL level, but they are all easily Championship quality. So, if Potter can't organise them to beat a League Two team, then the buck stops with him in my opinion. Of course, things might change and we might return to our post-lockdown/early season form. But that's looking less and less likely as each game passes.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Not if we make a change now, but clearly something is stopping Bloom from pulling the trigger, surely it can't be the contract money, which is small beer up against the EPL TV money?
Pride and determination not to pay off another manager? Barber wouldn't want to have to make a statement to say that the whole 'project' has failed.

Let's face it, we weren't even prepared to sack Hyppia

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
A banana skin cup game and a away game at a in form Man City are hard to read too much into but if we do not take at least 3 points from Leeds or Fulham then I think we will be seeing a monumental swing towards calls for a new manager.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It is a bit weird how people vote based on the result.

I voted out well before the end of the game. Our problems are endemic and can't be solved by scraping a draw against a league two side.

We don't know that they did. It feels far more likely to me that the majority of people who voted later did so simply because they were focused on the game and only saw the poll once the game was over and they came to NSC to discuss it and they voted, just like you, based on an opinion already formed on a bigger picture and not the result, not because they were waiting to see if we won before making up their mind.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Doesn't explain why Tau absolutely shanked a sitter when he's been here two minutes.

We put ourselves under way too much pressure in most of our games. Newcastle is the only game where we've looked comfy at the back and, guess what, we looked great and scored three.

I don't disagree with any of that, what I would say is that not that long ago a bit further West from us Southampton fans were demanding their manager was sacked after an abhorrent home result against Leicester and look where they are now.

I think we are going through a very bad patch, however, we are not doomed to be relegated yet and we have the players to get us through this and out the other side.

The only not so good thing is that we aren't really progressing as much as everyone would have hoped, but this may change.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Still ‘out.’
Not based on any individual result but on performance. Potter was hired to improve the quality of play and had a promising start. Unfortunately for some time now the team has been playing slow, sideways passing, non shooting football and that is a regression in quality. I do not enjoy watching this style of football and we seem to be heading for relegation.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I'm still fence. Last night we created enough chances to win by three or four. We looked comfortable on the ball until we got in or around the penalty area. Can you blame Potter for the woeful performances of Maupay and Trossard.

We desperately need Lamptey, Lallana and Welbeck back and fit and not necessarily a change of manager.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Moved from fence to out.
Even if you ignore the stats this season and the home record which is clearly not good enough, I see a team that is soft in both boxes, passive and ponderous in possession, devoid of confidence and lacking the nous and game management skills to hold on to and build on any lead it gets. Those things are fully at the door of the manager. Frankly I cant see where the next win is coming from and yet I am supposed to believe that we are suddenly going to win 6 games needed to survive when we have won 2 all season and 1 at home in just over a year.

We are, in my opinion, heading down as it stands.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That`s why i voted IN , we are not shit , but the way we are currently playing is . IF GP finds the sense to stop the stupid mistakes we are making , we will be a force . No one shows us up (brave with MC coming up) apart from ourselves . IF GP figures out how to change that quickly , he will make us a consistant threat like Saints , they are us but better managed . I dont think they have better players , but Hassenhutl has used what he has better than GP . :bhasign:
I agree with this.

You look at Steele's error and the penalty shambles yesterday and realise that is what Potter is up against right now. Our strikers would struggle to hit a barn door at the moment, and defensively we have a rick in us during every game. I remain convinced that some of that can be ironed out and want to believe that binning off Potter would be like throwing the baby out with the bath water. You can't say the football we play is dull or attritional - we're not at 0-5 home to Bournemouth levels, or even 0-2 home to Cardiff levels. The players are playing for him and I do feel the possibility of 2 or 3 good results in succession would pull us clear and is not out of the question at some point soon.

Regardless, I don't think there is a single manager who'd come here who is guaranteed to get us playing better - and that includes Eddie Howe. I just think we need to be a bit more patient. I've said end of January personally. I'll reassess my position then.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
It's in for now but I am very much on the fence. Our team isn't good enough and those who we suspected have been found out..... Ryan for example.... but it's not just the players. Potter seems too wedded to playing one way and if we can't make and take enough chances we go down. Possession means nothing without that. Ask Man Shitty.

Without Lamptey I dread to think how many points we would have had and now he aint coming back anytime soon....

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Am still "out" but will at least try and provide reasons on these threads. Last night was never going to be easy but many of the same old failings were evident. One or two better things though.

GOOD
1) Very dangerous from our own set pieces and very unlucky
2) Controlled most of the game against tricky opponents who always do well agianst Prem sides Cup games.

BAD
1) Cannot control a game once we score which leads to
2) Cannot hold on to a lead

I could take these two if they were one offs but it is every time we go in front seemingly. These ARE coachable and big failings in the Potter set up. Also

3) Insistence on "playing our football" despite opponents and conditions. Volleying back passes to maintain a 70% possession stat on that pitch is completely unforgiveable.

So, nothing to make me move but nothing to make me think he's not at least trying to turn it round.

Fair play for providing thought out reasons [emoji106]

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
You do realise you can’t change your mind in the poll once you voted? Nobody who voted out then voted in at full time. I suspect that the early voters are those of us that want him out regardless of an FA cup result on the basis he’s a terrible manager. Those that voted later are prepared to give him some benefit for scraping through against a league 2 side. There is no knee jerking in that poll at all. Knee jerking means changing your decision.

Lol.

That would be true- except that here are previous poll results:

View attachment 132348

Huge knee jerk reaction after the Arsenal match. Back to normal four days later. In fact, after the third goal went in an increased number of ins. Should have seen things prior !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here