Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Gascoigne's back on the sauce...

Ward1971

Oct 24, 2012
Apologies for breaking my promise not to add anymore to the debate but I think you've taken a large part of my post out of context because you seem to have glossed over the very serious issue of his violence and most importantly in this particular exchange of ours (I'm not belittling anything else) do you think that the unconditional hero-worship helps?

It's obvious that he struggles to find any meaning to his life post-football because that was the only thing he was good at. Have you thought that if you only ever keep him in this little box as a once-great footballer that it is that, that is causing him the greatest mental damage? I'm a bit tired so perhaps not making myself clear so apologies if so.

I think i understand what your saying and agree to a large degree, I don't hold him on a pedestal for his post career antics but no one can deny his genius talent and the fact he was an icon to millions of kids during his career. He is the greatest footballing talent this country has ever produced and we may never see a talent like it again, Its probably too late but it would be great for our kids to remember him as that and not as a bum who died in a gutter.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Gazza is an English Icon of the Greatest Game on Earth and we should try and preserve that .

In all fairness, pickling him in alcohol is probably a good way to go then.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
scored the best two goals. i ve seen at wemebly everyones talking like he s died Come on gazza you can do this

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
And beat his wife up along the way. I'd rather not have that as a role model to my children and grand children.

I've done some very stupid things in the past when I've been absolutely pissed; ending up in a Police cell and being charged with criminal damage was the worst without doubt but I've never been in the public eye, thank God. As I said earlier in this thread, alcohol brings out the worst in people and obviously his ex-wife had very strong rows with Gascoigne when he'd had a few beers leading to alleged domestic violence. Go down West Street any Friday or Saturday night and no doubt something will kick off big time due to the demon drink.

I'm teetotal now due to medication but do I miss alcohol? No. I can still have a good day/night out and have a laugh with mates. I love betting and football; when I get a win that puts me on a huge high and I treat pals to an extra round of drinks.

Gazza never wanted to be a role model; the media followed his every move at every opportunity and look how he's ended up.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
You have a point but Gazza is an English Icon in an industry we love , someone who made a difference to this nation , he inspired millions and for that alone he deserves all our efforts o preserve him more than the man in Churchill Square.

He has built his own downfall and was told in the 90s he needed to slow down!

FTM

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
As a recovering alkie I always read threads with interest. I wait to see how long it takes the mis-informed, the ignorant or the downright nasty to turn up. Well done Hillian1, Buzzer, Twizzle and wakeytom; you are all winners so far.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
As a recovering alkie I always read threads with interest. I wait to see how long it takes the mis-informed, the ignorant or the downright nasty to turn up. Well done Hillian1, Buzzer, Twizzle and wakeytom; you are all winners so far.

:( I have nothing but admiration for those who (metaphorically) fight their addiction for the sake of themselves and their loved ones and I'm genuinely very sorry if you feel like that. My very personal view on alcoholism and its effects is a result of living with violent alcoholics throughout my entire childhood. I've heard the reasons why the violence should be understood in the context of the disease but it doesn't make the bruises any less painful.

I'm trying to guess which category you have me in: Mis-informed? Possibly, I did make comments about victim culture and personal responsibility. Ignorant? Maybe, but as I've explained, I have very real first hand experience of violent alcoholics. Downright nasty? I wonder if it's this. I said I had very little sympathy for him but I didn't think it was 'downright nasty'. I do think you're being extremely harsh on me and I regret that I got into this debate now but I've read and re-read my 2 previous posts and I don't think any of what I wrote was ignorant bile.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
harsh as it is to say, Gazza's an adult and he makes these choices and to a degree should be allowed to do so without other people forcing their views as to what's best for him on him - and what follows is in a way of his own free choice - same as George Best knew post transplant drinking would kill him, he still did it, didn't as far as I recall hugely berate himself for it and it killed him as he knew it would one day. There's no doubt Gazza has serious issues of low self esteem, confidence etc etc and the booze and the playing the fool are the way he masks it but if he has the self destruct button in him which he seems to clearly have, then no amount of help or advice will ever stop him pressing it any time he wants to. As I said, this is not being cold, harsh etc, but I've seen a few similar type very destructive people in my life (close up) and in my job and at the end of the day, however difficult it is you have to stand back and let them do what they chose to do and some will find in themselves the wish to fight, survive and stop their demons and others will not. I hope he chooses to fight his ones but sadly the evidence does suggest he doesn't really wish to.

Stumpy Tim

You seem to assume that you're the only one on this thread touched by alcoholism. One huge assumption to make IMO

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Very true.

I took the original comment as a dig at 5 Bellies, Evans, Baker et al.

No. It's the agent who booked the recent charity gig, put him on that stage and asked him those questions. He should be ashamed of himself.

Ward1971

Oct 24, 2012
This thread is going off course IMO . This is about should we try and save a once National Hero from his Demons ? Did Gazza give the English game enough to warrant more help in his current state.

Yes he made millions but would he have done it for £20,000 a year and live in a council house ? ABSOLUTELY.....

Did he raise the worlds opinion of the standard of English Football ? Yes

Was he the greatest English talent to put a pair of boots on ? Yes

Did he inspire millions of kids to take up the game ? Yes

Will he always be remembered world wide for the pure genius things he done on the pitch ? Yes

Have we ever looked liked winning a National Tournament without him in the team ? No

Did he Make us all smile with the Daft as a brush Gazza antics ? Yes

SAVE GAZZA NOW !!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This thread is going off course IMO . This is about should we try and save a once National Hero from his Demons ? Did Gazza give the English game enough to warrant more help in his current state.

Yes he made millions but would he have done it for £20,000 a year and live in a council house ? ABSOLUTELY.....

Did he raise the worlds opinion of the standard of English Football ? Yes

Was he the greatest English talent to put a pair of boots on ? Yes

Did he inspire millions of kids to take up the game ? Yes

Will he always be remembered world wide for the pure genius things he done on the pitch ? Yes

Have we ever looked liked winning a National Tournament without him in the team ? No

Did he Make us all smile with the Daft as a brush Gazza antics ? Yes

SAVE GAZZA NOW !!
Your missing the point, of what many are saying.

WE can't save Gazza, not now, not then, not ever.

It's down to the man himself, all 'we' can do is be aware of his demons and not encourage them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
harsh as it is to say, Gazza's an adult and he makes these choices and to a degree should be allowed to do so without other people forcing their views as to what's best for him on him - and what follows is in a way of his own free choice - same as George Best knew post transplant drinking would kill him, he still did it, didn't as far as I recall hugely berate himself for it and it killed him as he knew it would one day. There's no doubt Gazza has serious issues of low self esteem, confidence etc etc and the booze and the playing the fool are the way he masks it but if he has the self destruct button in him which he seems to clearly have, then no amount of help or advice will ever stop him pressing it any time he wants to. As I said, this is not being cold, harsh etc, but I've seen a few similar type very destructive people in my life (close up) and in my job and at the end of the day, however difficult it is you have to stand back and let them do what they chose to do and some will find in themselves the wish to fight, survive and stop their demons and others will not. I hope he chooses to fight his ones but sadly the evidence does suggest he doesn't really wish to.

I wonder what has happened recently. I read a piece about him having sorted himself out and living in Bournemouth. He'd been clean for some time and was living a fairly simple life which mainly involved a small circle of sensible friends and fishing on the south coast.

fisons

Feb 21, 2005

You can take Wakeytom off of that list.

FTM

Ward1971

Oct 24, 2012
Your missing the point, of what many are saying.

WE can't save Gazza, not now, not then, not ever.

It's down to the man himself, all 'we' can do is be aware of his demons and not encourage them.

If the right people step in, we maybe able to give him something to make him want to fight his demons , try and keep the scum away who are clearly not helping him at the moment .

I've not missed any point !!

My point is let's do all we can to try and help ! It may not work as he does have to want to do it , but lets try and keep trying until we can try no more

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here