Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Gascoigne's back on the sauce...

Ward1971

Oct 24, 2012
Actually bought a tear to my eye and a lump to my throat , one of. One of the nations sporting heroes being abused like that while so called fans laugh at him .SICK BASTARDS

His agent should be struck off and given a serious beating the low life scum bag

Not sure if that's his agent siting next to him in the video but I want to see I'm in dark alley .....

So upset and angry at what I've seen , yes he can only help himself but what chance does he have with Scum like that around him.

We as a sporting nation have to try and help him , we owe him that ......

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The agent said the other day that when he realised Gascoigne was drinking again, he tried to cancel the gig & stop him going on stage. It was apparently Gazza himself who was insistent on doing it.

I'm sure Gazza, with his pickled brain, was insistent. As I understand it, it was the agent who was asking the questions. Even if Gazza did insist he should have refused to facilitate the event.

Ward1971

Oct 24, 2012
I'm sure Gazza, with his pickled brain, was insistent. As I understand it, it was the agent who was asking the questions. Even if Gazza did insist he should have refused to facilitate the event.

This 100% , any decent human being would have stopped him

Actually bought a tear to my eye and a lump to my throat , one of. One of the nations sporting heroes being abused like that while so called fans laugh at him .SICK BASTARDS

His agent should be struck off and given a serious beating the low life scum bag

Not sure if that's his agent siting next to him in the video but I want to see I'm in dark alley .....

So upset and angry at what I've seen , yes he can only help himself but what chance does he have with Scum like that around him.

We as a sporting nation have to try and help him , we owe him that ......

I owe him nothing. I paid money to see him play, some of that money would have gone to him.

He had it all, he threw it all away.

Sad as it is, my conscience is clear.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This 100% , any decent human being would have stopped him

Playing devil's advocate for a second: next time you see some pissed up old street drinker doing something stupid & humiliating himself in Churchill Square, are you going to step in and stop him?

There's no difference really, except that Gascoigne- as far as I know- still has a home to go to & a lot of public goodwill.

Ward1971

Oct 24, 2012
I owe him nothing. I paid money to see him play, some of that money would have gone to him.

He had it all, he threw it all away.

Sad as it is, my conscience is clear.

The fact is we made him , we put him on that pedestal and in true British Media fashion we done everything we could to destroy him once he was on top, yes he didn't help himself , yes he had choices etc but anyone who ever bought a newspaper to read about him is responsible all be it very removed from the actual cause of his problems which is largely self inflicted , but we had a part to play.

He is an England icon in the sport we love and we should do all we can to save and preserve a true genius of our beloved industry.

Ward1971

Oct 24, 2012
Playing devil's advocate for a second: next time you see some pissed up old street drinker doing something stupid & humiliating himself in Churchill Square, are you going to step in and stop him?

There's no difference really, except that Gascoigne- as far as I know- still has a home to go to & a lot of public goodwill.

You have a point but Gazza is an English Icon in an industry we love , someone who made a difference to this nation , he inspired millions and for that alone he deserves all our efforts o preserve him more than the man in Churchill Square.

You have a point but Gazza is an English Icon in an industry we love , someone who made a difference to this nation , he inspired millions and for that alone he deserves all our efforts o preserve him more than the man in Churchill Square.

Rubbish.

What about the homeless drunks who are there because of the greed of the banks? Surely they deserve more than someone who had MILLIONS of pounds and pissed it all against a wall.

Ward1971

Oct 24, 2012
Rubbish.

What about the homeless drunks who are there because of the greed of the banks? Surely they deserve more than someone who had MILLIONS of pounds and pissed it all against a wall.

If your an addict it makes no difference how much money you have . He didn't turn to drink because of the bank .....all drunks piss it up against the wall it's the disease , from your Churchill Square drunk to multi millionaire drunks they are the same, difference is Gazza is a drunk who was also an Icon who inspired millions of kids to strive for something better through football

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Probably not, but if it was someone I knew I almost certainly would.

If your an addict it makes no difference how much money you have . He didn't turn to drink because of the bank .....all drunks piss it up against the wall it's the disease , from your Churchill Square drunk to multi millionaire drunks they are the same, difference is Gazza is a drunk who was also an Icon who inspired millions of kids to strive for something better through football

And beat his wife up along the way. I'd rather not have that as a role model to my children and grand children.

Ward1971

Oct 24, 2012
How sure of that are you?

Is every wife beater an alchoholic, is this an exscuse for them all?

Silly post ......... And we are detracting from what this thread is all about .

The Great English Footballing Icon that is Paul Gascoigne , the most gifted , talented English player of all time

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
No one condones that , but it is a result of the disease

Hmm. Let's just say I disagree with you. I was going to make a long post about it being a cop-out to excuse the violence on the booze, personal responsibility, victim culture, the assistance he's been given above and beyond the average Joe Alcoholic, that perhaps unconditional hero-worship is the very worst medicine for him but I'll bow out here. Suffice to say, I've very little sympathy for him and IMO it's probably best to leave him to live his life as he wants.

Last edited:

Silly post ......... And we are detracting from what this thread is all about .

The Great English Footballing Icon that is Paul Gascoigne , the most gifted , talented English player of all time

Can't see why it's a silly post to be honest. You said he attacked his wife because he was drunk, almost exscusing it.

I wanted to know if you know he did it while drunk. FWIW, even if it was when drunk it doesn't make it any better.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'm not sure if the Mental Health Act allows alcoholics to be sectioned, but he needs some serious help. It looks quite likely that he'll die soon without treatment.

Ward1971

Oct 24, 2012
Hmm. Let's just say I disagree with you. I was going to make a long post about it being a cop-out to excuse the violence on the booze, personal responsibility, victim culture, the assistance he's been given above and beyond the average Joe Alcoholic, that perhaps unconditional hero-worship is the very worst medicine for him but I'll bow out here. Suffice to say, I've very little sympathy for him and IMO it's probably best to leave him to live his life as he wants.

I'm not posting to debate the rights and wrongs of treatment for alcoholics.......

Gazza is an English Icon of the Greatest Game on Earth and we should try and preserve that .

That's all

Ward1971

Oct 24, 2012
Can't see why it's a silly post to be honest. You said he attacked his wife because he was drunk, almost exscusing it.

I wanted to know if you know he did it while drunk. FWIW, even if it was when drunk it doesn't make it any better.

I said it was part of his disease which in his case has always been a Mental Health and alcoholism issue. I never said he was or wasn't drunk at the time

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm not posting to debate the rights and wrongs of treatment for alcoholics.......

Gazza is an English Icon of the Greatest Game on Earth and we should try and preserve that .

That's all

Apologies for breaking my promise not to add anymore to the debate but I think you've taken a large part of my post out of context because you seem to have glossed over the very serious issue of his violence and most importantly in this particular exchange of ours (I'm not belittling anything else) do you think that the unconditional hero-worship helps?

It's obvious that he struggles to find any meaning to his life post-football because that was the only thing he was good at. Have you thought that if you only ever keep him in this little box as a once-great footballer that it is that, that is causing him the greatest mental damage? I'm a bit tired so perhaps not making myself clear so apologies if so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here