Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Gascoigne's back on the sauce...

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Turned up in a very bad state for a pre-booked charity event in Northampton on Thursday evening after days of heavy drinking. He still took to the stage though (against the advice of others) & slurred, shook & swore his way through a few minutes of golden footballing 'memories' before being ushered off.

There's a video of it in one of the red-tops' sites, but I can't - or rather don't - want to remember which one I saw it on.

How very sad.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It will kill him one day. His agent was quoted as such on BBC.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I'm not being funny but he obviously hasn't reached "rock bottom" as they say in therapy parlance because ( despite what he says when sober) he lacks the will to commit to a proper recovery. He goes through detox for extended periods,which means he has got rid of the physical addiction, but lacks the ability to maintain his sobriety the minute he has a bad day.

I wish him all the very best but he doesn't want to get well beyond a superficial desire.

bassking

Mar 18, 2011
The Dollar Store
I remember when he turned up on the scene of that Rael Moat saga pissed, declaring he was one of his friends when clearly he wasnt, such a shame to see him like that.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
When you contrast this with THAT goal in 1996, you realise just how far he has fallen.

A real shame.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Peter Scmeichel apparently made comments online about how the football unions and Gordon Taylor should step in to help today. It's sad to see him in such a desperate state, especially when he has so many people who want him to get out of it.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
If Alex Ferguson had signed him I wonder if gazza would be in a difference place now. seems like he needed a strong father figure to guide him on and off the pitch. Instead he was led astray by too many hangers on and so called mates. where are they now when he needs help?

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
As a footballer, he was the one I always wanted to be in the school playground. His ability to take on players, dribble round them and place the ball in the net exactly where he wanted was incredible. He was my sporting hero growing up and that being a Tottenham player! The tears of the World Cup semi-final in Italia '90 made him an overnight hero and I don't think he ever got the right guidance for the fame ahead which he found so difficult to cope with.

Reading his autobiography is very sad. A deeply troubled man who is highly unlikely to ever conquer his demons. :(

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If Alex Ferguson had signed him I wonder if gazza would be in a difference place now. seems like he needed a strong father figure to guide him on and off the pitch. Instead he was led astray by too many hangers on and so called mates. where are they now when he needs help?

I'm not convinced with this idea that Fergie would have saved him. A number of players have had errant behaviour under the red faced scot.

Also, that fool asking the questions is Gazza's agent. Why on earth did he let him get near the venue let alone on stage and the continue to keep him whilst he was in distress?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Stunning player who was way more gifted than many we have seen recently, I know he scored an amazing goal in Euro '96 but that Spuds goal v Arsenal in the FA Cup semi-final was an audacious free-kick.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Just seen the clip on the news, I know nothing but was he shaking cause he had not had drink and trying to go cold turkey?. But he is in a terrible state!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I despise his advisors that are just getting whatever they can out of him, poor bastard needs a doctor not an agent.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Its on the Scums (Suns) website its actually quite upsetting to see him !
Shaking, slurring and forgetting what he is saying, i would say he has months to live really if that, AWFUL !!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Exactly this.

To be fair, he's had and continues to be offered far more help than your average alcoholic. The PFA are falling over themselves to push him towards Tony Adams' clinic, while the tabloid press show a far more sympathetic angle on his issues than they would to any other "normal" substance abuser with a history of problems.

The only person who can help him is...er...him. His agent can't lock him up.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Edit: I made a joke, but I've just watched the video. The fella's in a bad, bad way. Let's hope someone or something can help him, if he wants to be helped.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here