Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Gascoigne's back on the sauce...

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
To be fair, he's had and continues to be offered far more help than your average alcoholic. The PFA are falling over themselves to push him towards Tony Adams' clinic, while the tabloid press show a far more sympathetic angle on his issues than they would to any other "normal" substance abuser with a history of problems.

The only person who can help him is...er...him. His agent can't lock him up.

Well said,

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Shocking video. He'll be lucky to see the year out.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I met him about 3 years ago and we had quite a long chat. He was sober at the time but still didn't appear to know what day of the week it was!
He was staying at the same hotel as me and he was with a mate on a fishing expedition In the Lake District.
At the time I thought that maybe he was getting over his problems but after seeing this then obviously not. The guy is very immature and pretty clueless about the real world was how he came across to me and I hope that someone can get hold of him before its too late! He's up there with the best but never fulfilled his true potential in the game IMO.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
It's very sad what's happened to Gazza and I hope he pulls himself out of this. I'm not going to be as low as to predict how long he has left but he does need help sooner than later. I think people need to help Gazza from inside football, as that is all he knows. Give him a a role in the game where he still feels loved.
Alcohol is clearly a drug which turns you into something you're not. This video isn't Gazzas fault. Gazza has had a rough ride before his career and after. I am saddened by this video a lot because it's just a reflection of so many others who drink too much.
All the best Gazza and I'll be sending you my positive thoughts x

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
True. But his agent can be much more helpful than the video suggests.

Where are all his "mates" now?

I would suspect that many an old mate, has contacted him and tried to encourage him to seek help and continue to offer friendship.

Ultimately what can a mate do ??
There's only so much people can do, and have it thrown back at them.

Ultimately as said, only one person can get to the point of accepting ongoing help from others.
It seems PG isn't there, (fingers crossed) yet.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
So very this.

To be fair, he's had and continues to be offered far more help than your average alcoholic. The PFA are falling over themselves to push him towards Tony Adams' clinic, while the tabloid press show a far more sympathetic angle on his issues than they would to any other "normal" substance abuser with a history of problems.

The only person who can help him is...er...him. His agent can't lock him up.

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
I read yesterday that he is bipolar. It's quite common for people suffering with this to use alcohol to try to "self regulate" or "soothe" themselves. His fame is probably his worst enemy. Sadly I can only see him getting better if he abandons his public life and finds the right support to help him truly understand his condition and realise that he has the ability to get better.

Durlston

NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
He's up there with the best but never fulfilled his true potential in the game IMO.

Well, he was never the same player after he f***ed up his knee in the FA Cup final in 1991. He should have been booked for his first challenge and maybe it would have calmed him down - Terry Venables couldn't and was too soft as a manager on him. The second challenge was bad too on Gary Charles (?). That game changed his career I feel but going over to Italy was brave and winning over the Lazio fans showed how much passion he had.

If he hadn't had that injury he'd be talked about in the same sentences as Pele, Maradona, Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi. He WAS that good but only between 1988-1991.

Durlston

NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
It's very sad what's happened to Gazza and I hope he pulls himself out of this. I'm not going to be as low as to predict how long he has left but he does need help sooner than later. I think people need to help Gazza from inside football, as that is all he knows. Give him a a role in the game where he still feels loved.
Alcohol is clearly a drug which turns you into something you're not. This video isn't Gazzas fault. Gazza has had a rough ride before his career and after. I am saddened by this video a lot because it's just a reflection of so many others who drink too much.
All the best Gazza and I'll be sending you my positive thoughts x

Good post, The Truth.

Alcohol can bring out the worst in people and Gazza did actually say that he started to drink because he was quite a shy and sensitive person and the media have never really helped him in his book. It's all very sad the way they've treated him over the years.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Well, he was never the same player after he f***ed up his knee in the FA Cup final in 1991. He should have been booked for his first challenge and maybe it would have calmed him down - Terry Venables couldn't and was too soft as a manager on him. The second challenge was bad too on Gary Charles (?). That game changed his career I feel but going over to Italy was brave and winning over the Lazio fans showed how much passion he had.

If he hadn't had that injury he'd be talked about in the same sentences as Pele, Maradona, Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi. He WAS that good but only between 1988-1991.

Totally agree mate :thumbsup:: I did ask him why he was so fired up in that game but he wouldn't answer me! He swerved the question and went back to talking about fishing :lolol:

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
He looks a disgrace now so much time and money spent on trying to get him better, if he doesnt want it there is nothing you can do!

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
When I see Gazza back in the news for the wrong reasons, I must admit I think along the lines of blah blah blah.........boring!

BUT I just sat there and watched all 43 minutes of that documentary and I'm glad I did because it brought back how fantastic that guy really is.

Thanks for posting it WC and I hope the great man gets to a place where we all want him to be. Sorry for thinking negative thoughts Gazza.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There's only so much people can do, and have it thrown back at them.

I'm sorry but if someone is clearly in distress, like Gazza was, the last thing I will do is pop them on a very public stage. His agent has a lot to answer to for this particular sorry episode.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm sorry but if someone is clearly in distress, like Gazza was, the last thing I will do is pop them on a very public stage. His agent has a lot to answer to for this particular sorry episode.
Very true.

I took the original comment as a dig at 5 Bellies, Evans, Baker et al.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
the media have never really helped him in his book. It's all very sad the way they've treated him over the years.

Yes and no. They inevitably featured his worst excesses back in the day- going out on the lash with Danny Baker, Chris Evans etc, assaulting (or allegedly assaulting- I can't recall if he was ever taken to court over it) his ex wife, the whole Dentist's Chair thing.

But as I've already said, in recent years their angle has been very much "poor old Gazza". They offer him bundles of sympathy whereas if he wasn't an ex footballer they wouldn't give a toss. I've no major issue with it, I'm only saying that Gazza isn't judged like others with the same condition are, & that suggesting he's had no support from the media simply isn't true.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

The agent said the other day that when he realised Gascoigne was drinking again, he tried to cancel the gig & stop him going on stage. It was apparently Gazza himself who was insistent on doing it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here