Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace's soul? Druma, goal music, Ultras, Eagle's flying, Groupon ect.

Andyjohnson

Feb 1, 2012
No harm in having a themed game such as a Spanish day to reflect the growing presence of them at the Club and the fans willingness to celebrate it. Ditto for Fright Night, an initiative to attract the families / kids on discounted tickets during half term week. Ok most purists would frown at that but if you want to connect with your fans then so be it. Bums on seats and £££'s in the bank are still important.

However making permanent allowances within a stadium for a drum or band and having goal music are a step too far. Maybe it's understandable that Clubs who do not get decent crowds might want to create an artificial atmosphere but a bit sad when clubs with decent support resort to it when not necessary. I'm glad we have resisted the latter.

You haven't really resisted it though have you? You provided the whole ground with clackers for the play off semi final last season. Anyway the point is goal music, themed days at the football, cheers leaders(which I believe you still have?), all these are part of the same thing which you said yourself about trying to make football more attractive to new punters and get bums on seats and more £££. It's not a palace brighton thing it's happening all over the country at different clubs. Unfortunately this is the way the game is going. I'm just saying its very hypocritical for you all to sit there and take the piss as if you're immune from all this. As if going to the Amex is an old school, traditional day at the football. Nonsense.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
You haven't really resisted it though have you? You provided the whole ground with clackers for the play off semi final last season. Anyway the point is goal music, themed days at the football, cheers leaders(which I believe you still have?), all these are part of the same thing which you said yourself about trying to make football more attractive to new punters and get bums on seats and more £££. It's not a palace brighton thing it's happening all over the country at different clubs. Unfortunately this is the way the game is going. I'm just saying its very hypocritical for you all to sit there and take the piss as if you're immune from all this. As if going to the Amex is an old school, traditional day at the football. Nonsense.

Good god, i actually agree with what you have said here, I really dislike thewhole clackers, goal music, cartoon type mascots,dancing girls, thing, but I go to watch the football, all the rest I try to ignore. I also think there is a difference between club imposed crap like that, and fans turning up with drums etc, of their own backs, and seeming a bit twattish

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Good god, i actually agree with what you have said here, I really dislike thewhole clackers, goal music, cartoon type mascots,dancing girls, thing, but I go to watch the football, all the rest I try to ignore. I also think there is a difference between club imposed crap like that, and fans turning up with drums etc, of their own backs, and seeming a bit twattish

It's one of many problems related to modern day football. I don't care about goal music, I can see why people would be against it but kids seem to like it and they are the future, especially in a world where so many children are supporting the top, top clubs. The drum is a bit pointless for me at Selhurst as I genuinely don't think it adds anything to our atmosphere which has improved vastly over the last 5 years, if we took it away tomorrow it wouldn't make any difference IMO.

As other Palace fans have said and in fairness, Brighton fans like yourselves have agreed, this thread is pretty hypocritical but then I wouldn't expect anything less from the OP.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

No, that is one Americanisation of the game which we have rid ourselves of.

I have to say I am fully expecting that one day - when Martin Perry has retired and his pledge holds less influence - that we'll have goal music at the Amex. Hope not tbh.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think most old school fans, both Palace and Albion, are in agreement that the clackers, themes, drums etc are a pox on the game.

At the same time there is a new breed of customers (note the Barberism) who are looking for something different, and these types of additions cater to them.

We all know the OP is a WUM, so don't take him too seriously. After what happened on the night of shame in May, it's the equivalent of someone shagging your wife, and you claiming that you don't care because you have a bigger television.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Laughable in many ways but all said and done . Shitehurst park is probably noisier than the Amex or goldstone was . Controversial but true . Goldstoners will no doubt challenge this but without rose tints on, it was regularly a morgue or if singing was mainly 25 ish 16 year olds .

Amex first season beats the lot however

Can't think of another Club in the UK who have a group of supporters who dress up to go the footie.

How sad is it that someone living in South London aspires to be Italian ? "Ultras" "Capos" etc - pathetic.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Unbelievable amount of hypocrisy on this thread! You lot really shouldn't be talking about plastics, as you seemed to gain 20,000 'new fans' after the AMEX was built did you not?

The same 20,000 who were registered on the database for tickets at Withdean you mean?

raba

Jun 9, 2013
Can't think of another Club in the UK who have a group of supporters who dress up to go the footie.

How sad is it that someone living in South London aspires to be Italian ? "Ultras" "Capos" etc - pathetic.

Do you not think 20,000 in replica kit is not dressing up for football?

I hate the goal music, I hate the drum, I appreciate what the lad in Block B do to help the atmosphere but I think it's wrong that they believe they're better fans than others.

When it comes down to it, every club has different type of support. Ours is quite boisterous, yours can be when people allow themselves to get involved without thinking it's 'cringey' to enjoy themselves & Fulham sit quietly and enjoy a day out.

If we were all the same it'll be dull.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I want Palace to lose every match, I want their chairman to be rebuffed by everyone they approach to manage the club, I want to read all the stories about cockroach infested kebab houses in Croydon, but at the same time I would rather have a chat with a Palace fan about football than all the armchair plastics who support one of the big clubs in the PL.

This willy waving 'we're better fans than you because.....' is embarrassing and childish in the extreme.

I want Palace to lose every match, I want their chairman to be rebuffed by everyone they approach to manage the club, I want to read all the stories about cockroach infested kebab houses in Croydon, but at the same time I would rather have a chat with a Palace fan about football than all the armchair plastics who support one of the big clubs in the PL.

This willy waving 'we're better fans than you because.....' is embarrassing and childish in the extreme.

Dont have to go far EP 15K + can be found in the Brighton area since you moved to the Amex :D :clap:

Some great posts above me ole mucker,
Old school fans of both CP & BHA quietly respect each other for sticking by their clubs

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Do you not think 20,000 in replica kit is not dressing up for football?

In this case, no.

BLQtSX_CYAAEqui.jpg

Feb 14, 2010

The clackers was an idea by someone working in the marketing department at the club and not popular with Albion fans.It was also a one off unlike the goal music that you have at Selhurst. I would agree that the goal music is also imposed on you as is the flying Eagle nonsense. However there is suspicion that a large part of the support at palace like goal music and the ultra's, drums and whooa whooa are things you palace fans do for yourself. That os why I worry for the Palace soul. Has football at Palace really come to this?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Agree with this, the American razzmatazz dancing thru hoops crap is now embedding itself into football .... maybe we will be able to have BBQ's in the car park outside soon

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I think most old school fans, both Palace and Albion, are in agreement that the clackers, themes, drums etc are a pox on the game.

At the same time there is a new breed of customers (note the Barberism) who are looking for something different, and these types of additions cater to them.

We all know the OP is a WUM, so don't take him too seriously. After what happened on the night of shame in May, it's the equivalent of someone shagging your wife, and you claiming that you don't care because you have a bigger television.

I am old school....what the youngsters dont understand is it was great fun standing on a Crumbling terrace, eating some sort of offal burger that had been boiled in water with tasteless onions and vinegary red sauce...then if you were lucky, picking up some lose change and darts being thrown at you by the away fans. Bloody football fans these days with their goal music and songs, don’t they know just how good it used to be!!

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
The clackers was an idea by someone working in the marketing department at the club and not popular with Albion fans.It was also a one off unlike the goal music that you have at Selhurst. I would agree that the goal music is also imposed on you as is the flying Eagle nonsense. However there is suspicion that a large part of the support at palace like goal music and the ultra's, drums and whooa whooa are things you palace fans do for yourself. That os why I worry for the Palace soul. Has football at Palace really come to this?

I quite like the eagle and so do the kids. I do not mind the MIB as they are very good for atmosphere, nobody can say different and nobody really does except some of you lot

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I quite like the eagle and so do the kids.
The eagle itself is nice, it just doesn't fit with an English football team.
I do not mind the MIB as they are very good for atmosphere, nobody can say different and nobody really does except some of you lot
The reason some of us are unimpressed with the atmosphere at your place is because it's been so lack-luster on the occasions we've visited. And they're more BIB than MIB.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here