Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace win again

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
This is why I try to avoid threads about Palace. I enjoy some of what folks like EDS, Se20 and Doug contribute to these forums but this thread has become repetitive slanging match.

Its always the same tbh, I understand the need to defend your club but some are just so blinkered it is untrue. WCP is in a league of his own for just making things up as he goes along. You could tell him your name was Billy and he would tell you that you were wrong

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Like a broken record.

Your club obviously isn't important to you or you would attend games.

I know that's aimed at WCP, but i think that's a touch unfair - the Albion are incredibly important to me, but at the moment i can't really afford to attend games (recently gone self-employed so it's a toss up between affording mortgage/bills or seeing the Albion). I don't think it's as black & white as 'go to games=more love for the team'.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I know that's aimed at WCP, but i think that's a touch unfair - the Albion are incredibly important to me, but at the moment i can't really afford to attend games (recently gone self-employed so it's a toss up between affording mortgage/bills or seeing the Albion). I don't think it's as black & white as 'go to games=more love for the team'.

TBH I dont think anyone with half a brain is really that intrested in whether 15000 0r 15258 turn up and watch a game, football is well overpriced, and although I am lucky enough to just about justify a ST, there is a price that even I will go "Fxxk that!" to.

Both Brighton and Palace over the years have punched well above thier weight when it comes to crowds considering the lack of real success. So thats what makes these silly, our crowd is bigger than your crowd spats so bloody dull.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Not one crowd was 10,000 last season, that just goes to show what absolute rubbish you post.

Maybe not. But 16,124 for the South London derby last season was pretty shameful.

Funnily enough, you've found 7000 extra fans for Premier League matches...

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Maybe not. But 16,124 for the South London derby last season was pretty shameful.

Funnily enough, you've found 7000 extra fans for Premier League matches...

Well it was dam near impossable to buy tickets for that game thanks to our friends at the met...any club will find extra fans when in the prem as you lot might find out one day. These are just silly things to say, I watched the BHA v LCFC game on telly the other night and the Amex looked 1/3 empty but the crowd/tickets sold was 27000..it really does not matter??

The Palace v Brighton rivalry should be games won, lost and ties, not whos got bigger crowds FFS!!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I watched the BHA v LCFC game on telly the other night and the Amex looked 1/3 empty but the crowd/tickets sold was 27000..it really does not matter??

The Palace v Brighton rivalry should be games won, lost and ties, not whos got bigger crowds FFS!!

I agree that the argument about crowd size is academic but I just took another look at the FLS on iplayer and no way does it look 1/3 empty. Being there I'd say the actual bums on seats vs tickets sold was pretty similar

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I agree that the argument about crowd size is academic but I just took another look at the FLS on iplayer and no way does it look 1/3 empty. Being there I'd say the actual bums on seats vs tickets sold was pretty similar

It might just be where the way the TV shows it, but one end looks 1/2 empty (away end) and there just seemed a lot of gaps around...but if 27000 tickets sold thats cash in the bank and these days thats all that matters.

You lot are bound to disagree but as we limited ST to 16000 the crowd sizes of 24000 make the old girl feel Rammed to the gunnels as the figure published is all most spot on.

I fully appreciate at the moment BHA get bigger crowds than Palace, so no need to try and wind me up or start a agument, good on both clubs to get 20000+ crowds in a part of the country where the Competition with the big London clubs is stiff.

Feb 14, 2010
Issue has been taken about the Bristol City 10,000. Was it the year before that they got 10,000 for a midweek game? Either way the honest one's will admit that on the Championship they had to do groupon deals, give away tickets and get what was it, 12,000 or 14,000 for us on a midweek and hover around 15,000 with tickets given away for free? They then have a few kids who shout whooa whooa and bang a drum. That's right, do a Reading and bang a freekin drum as if they are American or something. All of a sudden they have convinced themselves they have a great support! Really they have, I know its insane. A great support is taking 3000/4000 to Chesterfield in the bottom league (Brighton) and getting 27000 gates in the Championship. Not turning up when they have reached the premier league.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Not turning up when they have reached the premier league.
The gloryhunters will all be missing next season and the Smellhurst crowds go back down to 15/16k. One initiative being talked about is a morning of trainspotting at East Croydon station before a Saturday afternoon kick off to whet the appetite.

Threeagles

Dec 1, 2012
Working Class Pride. Having read this post and seen your endless drivel I'm amazed by how bitter and twisted you are, and the resentment you have with Palace is truly amazing. I suppose not going to matches you have not felt the pain of a true Brighton fan, having seen us beat you at the Amex both in the semi final and your first league defeat at home too!

May I ask, you said you had to move away for work reasons, do you work in London, or more specifically the Houses Of Parliament?

I ask this question as they too come out with the type of distorted facts and figures to suit their own beliefs(you only look recent figures when it suits, lets forget largest crowd stats etc, we get 4-5,000 groupon fans turning up, where did this figure come from, like to see your source for these stats !!). They also are great at dodging simple questions with the same answer again and again(why don't you go to the Amex it's not that far for a TRUE fan), and they are too wrapped up in their own party(in your case team) to ever admit anything the other party(team) has done has been a success and still bang on with the same lines, until in the end no one listens anymore!!

Sound familiar ???

And I agree with most on here, unless you start to attend games and travel a rather short distance to do so, you do not have any substance arguing about how many people attend matches!!

Bobbysmith - Some wise comments, agree totally with what you have to say.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Why does it matter that you think banging a drum and shouting whooa whooa in the Premier league but failing to turn up when only in the Championship (never mind the 4th tier)? If you dont know the answer to that then that is why you support Palace. Palace = Plastic fans. You wouldnt have had a hope with an Archer, Palace just are not that important to your catchment area.

You fail to turn up and we are in the second tier though.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Issue has been taken about the Bristol City 10,000. Was it the year before that they got 10,000 for a midweek game? Either way the honest one's will admit that on the Championship they had to do groupon deals, give away tickets and get what was it, 12,000 or 14,000 for us on a midweek and hover around 15,000 with tickets given away for free? They then have a few kids who shout whooa whooa and bang a drum. That's right, do a Reading and bang a freekin drum as if they are American or something. All of a sudden they have convinced themselves they have a great support! Really they have, I know its insane. A great support is taking 3000/4000 to Chesterfield in the bottom league (Brighton) and getting 27000 gates in the Championship. Not turning up when they have reached the premier league.

I remember two seasons ago we had two away games in the space of four days. One was away to Liverpool in what was a meaningless FA Cup match as we were chasing a play off place at the time, and the other was an important match at Hull where we desperately needed the league points.

We took 6,000 to one of those matches and 250 to the other, care to remind us which number went to which match?

Every team has cringeworthy aspects to the support. I loathe Palace, they're our rivals, but I'd rather have a chinwag with one of their old farts on here than any one of the armchair plastics who support the likes of ManYoo and phone up 606 from Dorking every week talking about 'us'.

I

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
There are a number of clubs I dislike, (not sure I'd go so far as to say loathe), but I don't dislike any fan just because they happen to support one of those teams.

Feb 14, 2010
I'm not sure the point that El P is making as 1. This is not about the support I give, it is the support that Palace fans give as against Brighton. Although I am an anomily as I watched Brighton more when the club was in serial decline after the 1st division and all the way through to the Archer then Gillingham, then Withdean years. That to do with other factors. The fact is that Brighton take 4000 to Chesterfield in the 4th tier and get 27000 in the Championship. Palace rely on groupon deals to get 15000 in the Championship and on an evening their crowds have been as low as 10,000 to 12,000. Now all of a sudden they reach the Premier League they think they have a great support because they be all American and bang a drum. 2. As for the cup game effecting away turn out for one game, then that is an absurd a point as you could make. FYI a Leeds mate told me that Palace took about 50 for a game up there in similar circumstances. Brighton regularly took away turn outs to 3000 to 4000 to trips like Chesterfield when in the 4th tier, now that is support. Not being the ultimate "Flexile friend" when in the top flight. Its Palace fans that claim to be "wonderful fans". I'm just pointing out that such a re write of history is patently absurd. They are plastic fans who turn up in the Premier League but who go missing when in the Championship, never mind the 4th tier.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Its always the same tbh, I understand the need to defend your club but some are just so blinkered it is untrue. WCP is in a league of his own for just making things up as he goes along. You could tell him your name was Billy and he would tell you that you were wrong

I think this statement is so true and I would advise WCP to stay away from the BBS where they are the masters of this. I disagree he is in a league of his own about making things up. In fact I think WCP would be bottom of the league if you compared him to some on there for doing just what you say he is doing. WCP is an amateur when compared with the likes of EagleJez, Old Git, Frazer H, Vince Hilaire's Afro and Penstone Eagle. I suggest you do the same as me on NSC as I do when I read these guys posts on the BBS, think what a load of childish morons and ignore anything they say, or I could find myself getting wound up as you are about WCP posts.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I think to be fair to most Brighton fans, they stopped this song before it started, as it was a drone and agree that they were awful lyrics, think you can keep that one.

Now lets try and get some sense into this discussion, we get bigger crowds as we have better facilities, nothing to do with catchment areas etc, there is only 1.8 million in Sussex, and 5 million in your area, so lets put that one to bed. Palace are the same as us, good fans, bad fans, singers, moaners, etc etc no difference. Think the only thing that makes me laugh re Palace is their belief that they are some sort of 'super' fan, your are not, just the same as all fans in this country, who support their clubs with equal passion. I know from some of my mates who support Palace, they are embarrassed by the Drum, Ultras and goal music/announcements, but put up with it, as it seems popular amongst the kids, so no issue. I think like most fans at the Albion, we did not like the clackers, but again to explain something about the words to Sussex by the Sea, they were printed in full on the back of the clackers, as a fan of 50 years, I do not know the full words to the whole song, I am sure not many do (maybe the same for you guys for Glad all Over ?), so this was an attempt to get the knowledge out to all the fans, maybe in a wrong way, but I can assure you 99% of Albion fans know the words to the Norman Wisdom created version.

Will Palace stay up ?, think you need to find 3 teams worse than you and as I do not watch Prem football, so not a clue if there are any worse, do I care, not really, happy for some mates of mine, who by their own admission were very lucky to go up and just enjoying the ride this year. Think you have a chance with Pullis as think he know his stuff, not pretty football, but don't think you care about that.

Us, who knows, we have a chance of going up, with the players coming back, we will have nearly a new team after Xmas and think if Leicester are the bench mark, then we have a very good chance.

Future for us is very good, with the stadium and the training ground, no complaints from me on those fronts, we are going in the right direction and were not ready for it last year, in a few ways and rather go up when we can have a go at staying there, although still not sure if I want all that, again my Palace mates are equally happy at the away terrace at Peterborough.

So lets just stop the silly banter and realise that we are just football fans enjoying supporting our teams and long may that continue.
The most sensible post yet......I started reading this thread and thought....Ooh! a willy waving attendance thread.....
"WHERE'S THE MAJOR WHEN YOU NEED HIM?:lolol:

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Working Class Pride. Having read this post and seen your endless drivel I'm amazed by how bitter and twisted you are, and the resentment you have with Palace is truly amazing. I suppose not going to matches you have not felt the pain of a true Brighton fan, having seen us beat you at the Amex both in the semi final and your first league defeat at home too!

May I ask, you said you had to move away for work reasons, do you work in London, or more specifically the Houses Of Parliament?

I ask this question as they too come out with the type of distorted facts and figures to suit their own beliefs(you only look recent figures when it suits, lets forget largest crowd stats etc, we get 4-5,000 groupon fans turning up, where did this figure come from, like to see your source for these stats !!). They also are great at dodging simple questions with the same answer again and again(why don't you go to the Amex it's not that far for a TRUE fan), and they are too wrapped up in their own party(in your case team) to ever admit anything the other party(team) has done has been a success and still bang on with the same lines, until in the end no one listens anymore!!

Sound familiar ???

And I agree with most on here, unless you start to attend games and travel a rather short distance to do so, you do not have any substance arguing about how many people attend matches!!

Bobbysmith - Some wise comments, agree totally with what you have to say.
Well put...distance from the ground should not be an excuse unless you live abroad,my son travels from Northamptonshire and my newphew from the Isle of Wight....admittedly they do miss some night games because of work in the morning...it really depends how strong your support is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here