Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace win again

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
What did you expect after losing the Goldstone and playing lower league football at Gillingham and an athletics track with no roof? And for your info, even Withdean was sold out in most of the first 4 seasons there. You lot wouldnt have had a hope if you had to play tier 4 football, 140 mile round trip from Croydon. Palace only turn up if you get in the Premier League, otherwise you club has to give away tickets and you get 10,000 at home for games against Bristol City in the Championship. Compare like with like and your support is dire. Where were you lot last season? Plastic Palace with happy clappy fans, goal music, Ultra's and a drum.

Totally, totally pointless argument. How do you know what crowds we would get had we lost our stadium? It's an impossibility so turn off that broken record, Pompey are getting fantastic crowds in League Two yet plenty on here have lambasted their support in the past, I don't think anyone expected them to turn up in such big numbers this year.

We averaged 17,000 last season and the Bristol City game was 16,000 so atleast get your facts right. Our support is hardly dire, there's a reason why all the pundits are constantly praising the atmosphere that we're creating, just because you have a vitriol hatred of CPFC doesn't make you right, it just makes you sound sad and bitter quite frankly.

Feb 14, 2010
Totally, totally pointless argument. How do you know what crowds we would get had we lost our stadium? It's an impossibility so turn off that broken record, Pompey are getting fantastic crowds in League Two yet plenty on here have lambasted their support in the past, I don't think anyone expected them to turn up in such big numbers this year.

We averaged 17,000 last season and the Bristol City game was 16,000 so atleast get your facts right. Our support is hardly dire, there's a reason why all the pundits are constantly praising the atmosphere that we're creating, just because you have a vitriol hatred of CPFC doesn't make you right, it just makes you sound sad and bitter quite frankly.

Evening game, Bristol City at home last season 10,000. I think you scraped together 14000 for us for an evening game. You're support is atrocious. Your 16,000 last season was made up on 4,000 / 5000 getting in for free. Now all of a sudden you reach the Premier League and you think you have a wonderful support. You lot are the classic Plastic fans. No wonder you think banging a drum is an atmosphere. Brighton fans on the other hand took on Archer, and won. Brighton fans turn up in 25,000 to 30,000 in numbers when in the second tier. Now that is proper support not turning up when you play Spurs, Arsenal and Premier League football. You might think you are wonderful and the press may love a drum and a whooa whooa, but us proper fans judge you on how you support your club in the lower leagues and Palace, as last year showed, you went missing in action. If you had played 140 mile round trip when losing most weeks in the 4th tier, the you would not have had a club. Palace just dont have the same identity in its catchment area that The Albion have in Sussex. That is just how it is, and you know it.

raba

Jun 9, 2013
Evening game, Bristol City at home last season 10,000. I think you scraped together 14000 for us for an evening game. You're support is atrocious. Your 16,000 last season was made up on 4,000 / 5000 getting in for free. Now all of a sudden you reach the Premier League and you think you have a wonderful support. You lot are the classic Plastic fans. No wonder you think banging a drum is an atmosphere. Brighton fans on the other hand took on Archer, and won. Brighton fans turn up in 25,000 to 30,000 in numbers when in the second tier. Now that is proper support not turning up when you play Spurs, Arsenal and Premier League football. You might think you are wonderful and the press may love a drum and a whooa whooa, but us proper fans judge you on how you support your club in the lower leagues and Palace, as last year showed, you went missing in action. If you had played 140 mile round trip when losing most weeks in the 4th tier, the you would not have had a club. Palace just dont have the same identity in its catchment area that The Albion have in Sussex. That is just how it is, and you know it.

"Us proper fans"

You don't go to matches so don't take credit off your proper fans who do. I notice you always dodge this when questioned about it.

What does it matter to you how other teams celebrate? You don't see it anyway.

raba

Jun 9, 2013
Still second from bottom I see.

We certainly are, at least now it looks like we're getting over an awful start.

Great win for you yesterday as well, good bounce back from mid week & on the verge of the playoffs.

Feb 14, 2010
"Us proper fans"

You don't go to matches so don't take credit off your proper fans who do. I notice you always dodge this when questioned about it.

What does it matter to you how other teams celebrate? You don't see it anyway.

I dont dodge that I go rarely these days. I moved away from Sussex for work as people do, so what? I have been a season ticket holder from the mid 80s to the 90s. I was a regular at away games, going up and down the lower leagues and have got over 75 league grounds under my belt following the Albion. I have seen support up and down the country. I was there for the Archer struggles, and so what is your point? I know, and proper Palace fans know that banging a drum, and shouting whooa whooa does not make a great support. The Archer struggles and getting 25000 to 30,000 when in the second tier does. Palace fool nobody, they turn up only when in the top flight as gates of between 10,000 to 15,000 with 4000/5000 getting in for free on groupon deals show. Palace are the classic example of plastic fans. Nowhere to be seen when to going get tough. The reason is that the Albion are more important to Brighton/the coast / Sussex than Palace are to Surrey/ Croydon/Bromley. And you know it.

raba

Jun 9, 2013
I dont dodge that I go rarely these days. I moved away from Sussex for work as people do, so what? I have been a season ticket holder from the mid 80s to the 90s. I was a regular at away games, going up and down the lower leagues and have got over 75 league grounds under my belt following the Albion. I have seen support up and down the country. I was there for the Archer struggles, and so what is your point? I know, and proper Palace fans know that banging a drum, and shouting whooa whooa does not make a great support. The Archer struggles and getting 25000 to 30,000 when in the second tier does. Palace fool nobody, they turn up only when in the top flight as gates of between 10,000 to 15,000 with 4000/5000 getting in for free on groupon deals show. Palace are the classic example of plastic fans. Nowhere to be seen when to going get tough. The reason is that the Albion are more important to Brighton/the coast / Sussex than Palace are to Surrey/ Croydon/Bromley. And you know it.

You live in London. Poor excuse to not go, it' s hardly a long commute.

And again, what does it matter to you how we support our team, what songs we sing and all the rest that comes.with our match day experience? I'd rather a few woah woah based songs than thirty chants of Albiiiiiiiion. Each to their own I suppose.

Feb 14, 2010

And again, what does it matter to you how we support our team, what songs we sing and all the rest that comes.with our match day experience? I'd rather a few woah woah based songs than thirty chants of Albiiiiiiiion. Each to their own I suppose.

Why does it matter that you think banging a drum and shouting whooa whooa in the Premier league but failing to turn up when only in the Championship (never mind the 4th tier)? If you dont know the answer to that then that is why you support Palace. Palace = Plastic fans. You wouldnt have had a hope with an Archer, Palace just are not that important to your catchment area.

raba

Jun 9, 2013
Why does it matter that you think banging a drum and shouting whooa whooa in the Premier league but failing to turn up when only in the Championship (never mind the 4th tier)? If you dont know the answer to that then that is why you support Palace. Palace = Plastic fans. You wouldnt have had a hope with an Archer, Palace just are not that important to your catchment area.

Like a broken record.

Your club obviously isn't important to you or you would attend games but obviously that's too much effort for you so enjoy being an armchair fan and self righteous about what others do when they pay theor money & make their choice.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota

Geez, you really are demented.

Explain this to me then, how come Brighton only averaged about 13,000 in the Old First Division at The Goldstone? You've regularly slagged off our support in the past, personally I think it's pathetic to talk about support from such a long time ago but I'd love to know your reasoning behind that? Enlighten me with your endless wisdom.

Our home support is inferior to yours number wise, I'm happy to accept that but given that the nearest FL club to you is 42 miles away (I won't count Crawley given that their support is tiny) and we're competing with endless Premier League teams for support, our support is not "atrocious" as you have put it, nor do we have 4/5000 fans each game on a freebie, coming out with baseless stats like that just shows what a numpty you truly are.

It also comes across as totally bizarre that you can slag off fans that attend games week in week out when you're sitting just 50 miles away and don't go to games anymore. Personally, I can never have some vitriol hatred for fans who attend their local team, of course we have a small number of plastic fans but that is the norm at any club who get to the PL, I'd rather focus my negativity on "fans" who sit at home in their armchair and support teams like ManUre simply because they win most of the time.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota

They tried to make their own "We Love You" song but with crap lyrics and whenever it was sung, it sounded terrible as nobody knew or bothered to learn the words. It's much simpler for their newbie support to sing songs with one word it seems.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
WCP really does talk some crap, bemoaning someone elses support while admitting not even supporting his own team, what a twit

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Pulis will keep Palace up. Stone-bonker guarantee. He hasn't yet been relegated in his ( long ) career and he's clever enough to outwit the managers around him.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
They tried to make their own "We Love You" song but with crap lyrics and whenever it was sung, it sounded terrible as nobody knew or bothered to learn the words. It's much simpler for their newbie support to sing songs with one word it seems.

I think to be fair to most Brighton fans, they stopped this song before it started, as it was a drone and agree that they were awful lyrics, think you can keep that one.

Now lets try and get some sense into this discussion, we get bigger crowds as we have better facilities, nothing to do with catchment areas etc, there is only 1.8 million in Sussex, and 5 million in your area, so lets put that one to bed. Palace are the same as us, good fans, bad fans, singers, moaners, etc etc no difference. Think the only thing that makes me laugh re Palace is their belief that they are some sort of 'super' fan, your are not, just the same as all fans in this country, who support their clubs with equal passion. I know from some of my mates who support Palace, they are embarrassed by the Drum, Ultras and goal music/announcements, but put up with it, as it seems popular amongst the kids, so no issue. I think like most fans at the Albion, we did not like the clackers, but again to explain something about the words to Sussex by the Sea, they were printed in full on the back of the clackers, as a fan of 50 years, I do not know the full words to the whole song, I am sure not many do (maybe the same for you guys for Glad all Over ?), so this was an attempt to get the knowledge out to all the fans, maybe in a wrong way, but I can assure you 99% of Albion fans know the words to the Norman Wisdom created version.

Will Palace stay up ?, think you need to find 3 teams worse than you and as I do not watch Prem football, so not a clue if there are any worse, do I care, not really, happy for some mates of mine, who by their own admission were very lucky to go up and just enjoying the ride this year. Think you have a chance with Pullis as think he know his stuff, not pretty football, but don't think you care about that.

Us, who knows, we have a chance of going up, with the players coming back, we will have nearly a new team after Xmas and think if Leicester are the bench mark, then we have a very good chance.

Future for us is very good, with the stadium and the training ground, no complaints from me on those fronts, we are going in the right direction and were not ready for it last year, in a few ways and rather go up when we can have a go at staying there, although still not sure if I want all that, again my Palace mates are equally happy at the away terrace at Peterborough.

So lets just stop the silly banter and realise that we are just football fans enjoying supporting our teams and long may that continue.

Feb 14, 2010

Explain this to me then, how come Brighton only averaged about 13,000 in the Old First Division at The Goldstone?

No problem. It was the early 80s where every club had seen a massive decline in crowds for a number of reasons including hooliganism, fences, police ect. Arsenal were getting around 18,000 to 26,000 at the time.

The idea that palace have "great fans" as you seem to delude yourself because you bang a drum and shout whooa whooa in the Premier league just does not hold water. Where were you last season ? Nowhere to be seen. 16000 crowds with groupon deals and gates as low as 10,000. Brighton on the other hand, are getting 27,000 for the Championship. Now that is support, not the palace fans who are the ultimate "flexible friends".

theboybilly

Explain this to me then, how come Brighton only averaged about 13,000 in the Old First Division at The Goldstone?

No problem. It was the early 80s where every club had seen a massive decline in crowds for a number of reasons including hooliganism, fences, police ect. Arsenal were getting around 18,000 to 26,000 at the time.

The idea that palace have "great fans" as you seem to delude yourself because you bang a drum and shout whooa whooa in the Premier league just does not hold water. Where were you last season ? Nowhere to be seen. 16000 crowds with groupon deals and gates as low as 10,000. Brighton on the other hand, are getting 27,000 for the Championship. Now that is support, not the palace fans who are the ultimate "flexible friends".

This is why I try to avoid threads about Palace. I enjoy some of what folks like EDS, Se20 and Doug contribute to these forums but this thread has become repetitive slanging match.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota

Not one crowd was 10,000 last season, that just goes to show what absolute rubbish you post.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, that playoff semi-final defeat must have REALLY hurt.

Sincere apologies to all the others who have bothered to read this discussion, notably though, nobody has agreed with WCP which says it all.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
I think to be fair to most Brighton fans, they stopped this song before it started, as it was a drone and agree that they were awful lyrics, think you can keep that one.

Now lets try and get some sense into this discussion, we get bigger crowds as we have better facilities, nothing to do with catchment areas etc, there is only 1.8 million in Sussex, and 5 million in your area, so lets put that one to bed. Palace are the same as us, good fans, bad fans, singers, moaners, etc etc no difference. Think the only thing that makes me laugh re Palace is their belief that they are some sort of 'super' fan, your are not, just the same as all fans in this country, who support their clubs with equal passion. I know from some of my mates who support Palace, they are embarrassed by the Drum, Ultras and goal music/announcements, but put up with it, as it seems popular amongst the kids, so no issue. I think like most fans at the Albion, we did not like the clackers, but again to explain something about the words to Sussex by the Sea, they were printed in full on the back of the clackers, as a fan of 50 years, I do not know the full words to the whole song, I am sure not many do (maybe the same for you guys for Glad all Over ?), so this was an attempt to get the knowledge out to all the fans, maybe in a wrong way, but I can assure you 99% of Albion fans know the words to the Norman Wisdom created version.

Will Palace stay up ?, think you need to find 3 teams worse than you and as I do not watch Prem football, so not a clue if there are any worse, do I care, not really, happy for some mates of mine, who by their own admission were very lucky to go up and just enjoying the ride this year. Think you have a chance with Pullis as think he know his stuff, not pretty football, but don't think you care about that.

Us, who knows, we have a chance of going up, with the players coming back, we will have nearly a new team after Xmas and think if Leicester are the bench mark, then we have a very good chance.

Future for us is very good, with the stadium and the training ground, no complaints from me on those fronts, we are going in the right direction and were not ready for it last year, in a few ways and rather go up when we can have a go at staying there, although still not sure if I want all that, again my Palace mates are equally happy at the away terrace at Peterborough.

So lets just stop the silly banter and realise that we are just football fans enjoying supporting our teams and long may that continue.

Best post on the thread, well done to you sir.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
I'm sure we'd have a few thousand less if we had to endure the naff goal music. Kudos to the Palace team for trying to limit their embarrassment by not scoring many...Peter...Ramage...Peter...RAMAGE (OK that example was from seasons past)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here