[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Crystal Palace have released 22 (that’s Twenty Two) players.
That is a mahoosive gamble. Or have they actually disbanded!!

View attachment 137411

A quick glance at this: https://www.premierleague.com/clubs/6/Crystal-Palace/squad suggests that the eight first teamers on that list plus Batshuayi have made approximately two fifths of the team's starting appearances this season. That is some clear out.

I can't find a current average transfer fee for a Premier League player, but this from 2017 https://www.aaronwallis.co.uk/news/...ighest average fee,an estimated £9.29 million. had it at £9.3 million with a prediction of it increasing to £20 million by 2021/22. A conservative estimate would suggest perhaps £12 million needed per player. Even if they are looking to replace half of those nine regulars + a third choice keeper with loans and academy promotions, that is at least £60 million needed to sign five new players. That is not far off the total transfer spend balance over the full eleven windows that the Americans have been owners. This is at a time when they must have lost tens of millions over the last year and when levels of future income cannot be guaranteed. They don't currently have a manager and they have the summer to do this business.

You have to believe that it is time to cash-in on Zaha. He's the only saleable asset who they should be thinking of parting with. They are not going to get anything like what they could have done a couple of windows back.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
A quick glance at this: https://www.premierleague.com/clubs/6/Crystal-Palace/squad suggests that the eight first teamers on that list plus Batshuayi have made approximately two fifths of the team's starting appearances this season. That is some clear out.

I can't find a current average transfer fee for a Premier League player, but this from 2017 https://www.aaronwallis.co.uk/news/...ighest average fee,an estimated £9.29 million. had it at £9.3 million with a prediction of it increasing to £20 million by 2021/22. A conservative estimate would suggest perhaps £12 million needed per player. Even if they are looking to replace half of those nine regulars + a third choice keeper with loans and academy promotions, that is at least £60 million needed to sign five new players. That is not far off the total transfer spend balance over the full eleven windows that the Americans have been owners. This is at a time when they must have lost tens of millions over the last year and when levels of future income cannot be guaranteed. They don't currently have a manager and they have the summer to do this business.

You have to believe that it is time to cash-in on Zaha. He's the only saleable asset who they should be thinking of parting with. They are not going to get anything like what they could have done a couple of windows back.

and not a lot of transfer activity will happen until after the euros, not a lot of time............ :):ffsparr:

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Palace have re-sighed two of those 22 and will be offering contracts to at least 5 others. I would say there are quite a few on that list who only played a couple of games la st season.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I thought there were rules against releasing a player then re-signing them immediately, covered under employment law in the same way as a company cannot make someone redundant then re-hire them immediately back into their old role?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I thought there were rules against releasing a player then re-signing them immediately, covered under employment law in the same way as a company cannot make someone redundant then re-hire them immediately back into their old role?

it's palace

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester

Not an issue when a contract expires. Much like Welbeck coming to the end of his one year contract. We will now be offering him a new one. Whether he takes it or not is up to him.
Benteke has been offered a new two year contract and he’s accepted it at Palace.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Palace have re-sighed two of those 22 and will be offering contracts to at least 5 others. I would say there are quite a few on that list who only played a couple of games la st season.

I know Benteke is one, who is the other?
For Palace I would think that re-signing Cahill is the most important one.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Why wasn’t Welbeck in our list then? Seems weird to publish a list but be retaining some of those players - no other club seem to have done it have they? Is it part of the rules for clubs who have cheated in the past to be more transparent as they’re not trusted?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Palace have re-sighed two of those 22 and will be offering contracts to at least 5 others. I would say there are quite a few on that list who only played a couple of games last season.

According to the PL's website 14 of them didn't start a league game at all, including Hennessey and Wickham. The eight who did start had over 200 starting appearances between them last year: Cahill, Clyne, Dann, McCarthy, Sakho, Townsend, Van Aanolt & Ward. Which two have been re-signed, or are you referring to players like Benteke who are not on the list because they've agreed new contracts? Cahill would still be worth signing. I would think that, if the new manager wants any of the others, Palace will be hoping that releasing them could help negotiate down what are probably some over-hefty wage deals. If you have re-signed/are re-signing seven of these eight as you seem to indicate, then I presume you'll be looking at a manager in the same mould as Hodgson and playing backs to the wall football for another year or two.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

I know Benteke is one, who is the other?
For Palace I would think that re-signing Cahill is the most important one.

James McArther, I am pretty sure Cahill will be offered something or so the rumours say.

Benteke and McArthur are NOT two of the 22 - that pair are shown on the retained list (which is a separate document).

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Why wasn’t Welbeck in our list then? Seems weird to publish a list but be retaining some of those players - no other club seem to have done it have they? Is it part of the rules for clubs who have cheated in the past to be more transparent as they’re not trusted?

The Free Transfer List is a list of players who are out of contract and who haven't been offered a new deal. Of course, the club could subsequently change its mind and offer that player a deal after all, at some later date, but what sort of a tinpot outfit would do that?

Welbeck isn't on the Albion Free Transfer List because he HAS been offered a new deal; he appears on the Retained List with an "(o)" against his name:-

1234.jpg

(No guarantee, of course, that he will sign that deal, but it has at least been offered).

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Interesting times for that lot. The longer they take to appoint a manager the better as whoever gets that gig has a lot of work to do. Seems like Dyche is staying at Burnley so smug Eddie maybe? Who I think would be a terrible choice so here's hoping they go for him in about a month...

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
The Free Transfer List is a list of players who are out of contract and who haven't been offered a new deal. Of course, the club could subsequently change its mind and offer that player a deal after all, at some later date, but what sort of a tinpot outfit would do that?

Welbeck isn't on the Albion Free Transfer List because he HAS been offered a new deal; he appears on the Retained List with an "(o)" against his name:-

View attachment 137432

(No guarantee, of course, that he will sign that deal, but it has at least been offered).

ben bill white

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports