[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I’m not sure I’ve seen any palace fan on here claiming that we have a ‘state of the art’ academy. FFS We have only been a tier one academy for under two years.

Our U18’s ended up being pipped to the title on goal difference, but above you lot.

Our U23’s have reached the play off final, unlike you lot.

I’ve always assumed that the success of EPL academies was ranked on the players that made the transition to first team football, rather than the quality of their training facilities.

If that breaks Bozza’s rules on here, I’ll catchup with you all in a week or so. :)

:shrug:

Our U-23s already play in Division One.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Err, it was a Brighton fan bigging up your academy that I quoted?

As to the rest of your post, well it’s just a bit weird. You boast about ‘half of your first team’ being from your academy, when it demonstrably isn’t, its a bit odd, to then claim your “academy means literally £Millions”, and you are not sure palace can claim the same? ???

Remind me the last time you sold a home grown player from your academy for £45m?

I think you need a fact check. At Villa away this season almost half the side on the pitch came from the academy and the squad has at least 7 if not more from the youth set up. Albion's youth set up is first class, from under 11's through to when they start making additions at 16/17 from outside of Sussex through to the under 23. The results of the youth set up at Brighton are below. Knocks spots off most including Palace's:-

1. Dunk - Not sure what he would go for.
2. March - solid premier league player - Not less than £5-£10 Million to buy.
3. Bissouma - Will go for more than £45 Million this or next season
4. Alzate - Made it to the first team, not sure value
5. White - Turned down £30 Million for him, will go for god knows how much.
6. Sanchez - Forgot, he was academy also. Very good keeper, saved us Millions and probably kept us up. Tipped also for a move at some point.
7. Also others who left such as Cook were regular Premier League players along the cost until their relegation.
8. More kids on loan than Chelsea to other professional clubs.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I’ve always assumed that the success of EPL academies was ranked on the players that made the transition to first team football, rather than the quality of their training facilities.

How Brighton became the Premier League’s leading talent factory
https://theathletic.com/2480715/202...e-the-premier-leagues-leading-talent-factory/

"Brighton have given 30.8 per cent of minutes played to players employed by the club for at least three seasons from the ages of 15 to 21. According to data from the CIES Football Observatory, that is more than next-best Manchester United (25.6%), Chelsea (24.4%) and Arsenal (21.2%)."

E1AhNN3WQAIqYca.jpg

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Knock knock palace. We are coming for you. Enjoy today tomorrow and next week. Because it will be your last time you are even mentioned in the same breath as us.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
https://theathletic.com/2480715/202...e-the-premier-leagues-leading-talent-factory/

"Brighton have given 30.8 per cent of minutes played to players employed by the club for at least three seasons from the ages of 15 to 21. According to data from the CIES Football Observatory, that is more than next-best Manchester United (25.6%), Chelsea (24.4%) and Arsenal (21.2%)."

View attachment 136853

Something to be very, very proud of.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Steve Cooper, oh please!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think you need a fact check. At Villa away this season almost half the side on the pitch came from the academy and the squad has at least 7 if not more from the youth set up. Albion's youth set up is first class, from under 11's through to when they start making additions at 16/17 from outside of Sussex through to the under 23. The results of the youth set up at Brighton are below. Knocks spots off most including Palace's:-

1. Dunk - Not sure what he would go for.
2. March - solid premier league player - Not less than £5-£10 Million to buy.
3. Bissouma - Will go for more than £45 Million this or next season
4. Alzate - Made it to the first team, not sure value
5. White - Turned down £30 Million for him, will go for god knows how much.
6. Sanchez - Forgot, he was academy also. Very good keeper, saved us Millions and probably kept us up. Tipped also for a move at some point.
7. Also others who left such as Cook were regular Premier League players along the cost until their relegation.
8. More kids on loan than Chelsea to other professional clubs.

Bissouma was not a product of our academy. He was signed from Lille 3 years ago as a 21 year old. One of those long-term targets we never hear about till it happens.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Gareth Barry ..... oh, maybe not!

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Bissouma was not a product of our academy. He was signed from Lille 3 years ago as a 21 year old. One of those long-term targets we never hear about till it happens.

That is a bit confusing because where the academy starts and ends is "blurred lines". The academy is mainly local kids until 15 then they lose a few locals and add in people from elsewhere and that continues until under 23.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I’m not sure I’ve seen any palace fan on here claiming that we have a ‘state of the art’ academy. FFS We have only been a tier one academy for under two years.

Our U18’s ended up being pipped to the title on goal difference, but above you lot.! place above us and we won the U17 cup

Our U23’s have reached the play off final, unlike you lot. For the right to play teams like Brighton

I’ve always assumed that the success of EPL academies was ranked on the players that made the transition to first team football, rather than the quality of their training facilities.See the post about Brighton playing the most minutes with Academy players in the Prem this season

If that breaks Bozza’s rules on here, I’ll catchup with you all in a week or so. :)

In case you didn't realise.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Our U23’s have reached the play off final, unlike you lot.

LOL. Palace U23s have reached the play off final of the PL2 second tier. You’re right that the Albion U23s didn’t achieve that as they got promoted from that division 3 years ago.

I agree that success of academies should be judged on players that make the first team. In terms of percentage of minutes played by players that have come through a club’s youth ranks, the Albion are top of the Premier League.

Link: https://www.sportskeeda.com/amp/foo...rs-played-minutes-chelsea-manchester-united/2

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That is a bit confusing because where the academy starts and ends is "blurred lines". The academy is mainly local kids until 15 then they lose a few locals and add in people from elsewhere and that continues until under 23.

I'd never consider someone who is signed by BHA at the age of 21 and pretty much goes straight into the first team as being a product of our academy.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

View attachment 136853

That is incredibly impressive and deserves bouncing (again). And all done in a relatively short time :albion2:

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Just found this nugget. Apparently they are in a better position than we were when potter came in, to move to a DOF model?

Im sure as sh8t that Dan Ashworth started when Hughton was our manager.

The shit they come out with....

e1f2970ece4b1672123ef059aa1373a7.jpg

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Just found this nugget. Apparently they are in a better position than we were when potter came in, to move to a DOF model?

Im sure as sh8t that Dan Ashworth started when Hughton was our manager.

The shit they come out with....

e1f2970ece4b1672123ef059aa1373a7.jpg

I think the point they are trying to make, rather badly, is that Dougie Freedman has been in position as director of football there since 2019 so they are used to that set up now and are looking for a manager to fit into that set up, although it sounds like they are still building up their other departments.

When we appointed Potter, Ashworth had only been in position for a few months. That of course doesn’t take into account that Ashworth was brought in to bind all of the different departments together and the rest of our infrastructure had been in place for a long time.

It also ignores their aging squad and lots of players out of contract. Whoever comes in their has a huge rebuilding job regardless of how long they’ve had their current DOF in place.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'm surprised there isn't aclear view on who the next manager is yet.

This has been coming for a while, so I would have expected someone to be lined up.
I can understand that they might delay the announcement until after the last match, but even so, it seems a little odd there is no clear favourite.

Would assume he'd be in place before the current contracts expire.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
So it came down to Ben White's punt in the last minute, made because we were desperate to keep the ball in and try to win the game. The sucker punch goal ended up being the difference between us at the end of the season. A draw would have seen us both on 42 points and us above on goal difference. I'll take that. You could say it was bad game management, but I'd rather watch a team that doesn't want to settle for a point.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Crystal Palace have released 22 (that’s Twenty Two) players.
That is a mahoosive gamble. Or have they actually disbanded!!

B1429785-B985-42B9-8E6B-236D31D102CC.png

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
104 pages - has anyone yet suggested that the answer to the thread question is syphilis? Or Sports Direct closing down? Shortage of children's craft supplies meaning no "daunting" displays?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports