Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar planning more loans

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I thought I'd seen the last of these loanees when we moved to the Amex and the withdean days were well and truly over but we seem to be in the same situation apart from a nice new shiney stadium.

Don't pretend that you went during the Withdean era.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I think we are in a period of consolidation under Oscar. Ok it would be brilliant to have hit the ground running but providing we start to accumulate points then its not quite time to panic just yet.

The Club and playing side has been badly distracted by the Poyet business and the time taken to appoint Oscar. Inevitably our short term plans have gone out of the window. Not helped by injuries and arrival of new faces, plus the existing squad all trying to learn OG's system.

OK the signings and loanees aren't marquee names but do seem shrewd and without breaking the bank. So hopefully there is still a chunk of the transfer budget left to make one or two signings, as promised by Tony Bloom at the fans forum. We won't be able to compete with parachute money or those ignoring FFP but compared to where the Club was 3 years ago it isn't bad.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
If we pull in some Barca B talent and some decent English loans I have no problem with it. Just want to see a good solid back 4, some decent passing in midfield and us taking the chances we make and then we will all be happy!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
If we pull in some Barca B talent and some decent English loans I have no problem with it. Just want to see a good solid back 4, some decent passing in midfield and us taking the chances we make and then we will all be happy!

I wouldn't hold you breath on anyone coming in from Barcelona B if I was you, it's not going to happen...One look at the signing we have made should tell you what road we are going down. Kemy, Andrews and Ward all experienced championship players. The foreign players may be very nice to look at but they have a weak under belly. Hence why we haven't won from behind since Noah floated his ark.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
No problem with these type of loans for me. I think it's far too early to worry about how we'll end up playing, and whether these players can adapt to Oscar's style. Remember, after the high of the first win under Poyet it took him some time to get the players at his disposal playing the Gus way, and we inevitably lost a few games. And that was with players with far less experience and quality. Ex-Premier League players should be able to adapt more quickly. If things haven't progressed in another few weeks then I'll worry, not yet. A win today would be great for confidence obviously, but a draw or a close loss won't spell the doom some seem to think it will.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
But you can't possibly share it because it was told to you in confidence eh?

Probably also because without providing internet links, then anything the poster says will be dismissed without any trust.

Don't blame PILTDOWN MAN for not posting details, he'll be called a liar if he does. I believe him though as it backs up other 'hearsay'.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
And back on topic.

Any chance of us getting the Becchio loan which was talked about ? ???

Would be excellent, just as long as we don't sell Leo ( and certainly not to the goons up the road ).

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
There are some genuinely stupid views on this thread. Oscar says he would like to make a couple more loans and some people start moaning. Why not just see who the loanees are and judge then?

Andrews and Ward (despite not being rated at their own clubs) both looked good yesterday. Just because a player has a bad time at one club doesn't mean he won't do well here.

As for the person comparing it to the Withdean years, we were getting a lot of short term loans then which is completely different to having season long loans.

Why don't people just wait and see what the squad is when the transfer window closes before moaning (or even give Oscar a season to see how he does)?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
There are some genuinely stupid views on this thread. Oscar says he would like to make a couple more loans and some people start moaning. Why not just see who the loanees are and judge then?

Andrews and Ward (despite not being rated at their own clubs) both looked good yesterday. Just because a player has a bad time at one club doesn't mean he won't do well here.

As for the person comparing it to the Withdean years, we were getting a lot of short term loans then which is completely different to having season long loans.

Why don't people just wait and see what the squad is when the transfer window closes before moaning (or even give Oscar a season to see how he does)?

Precisely right.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Strange comment to make in Mid August.

You do know that we still have to pay loan player's wages don't you? It all comes out of the budget and I don't recall the club saying we will sign no else this season. Remember the end of August last year?

I'm happy with loan players, so long as they can play. Makes sense.

All I'm saying is that there is no evidence that Bloom is backing Oscar with the same amount of budget as he backed Gus. And this latest statement from Oscar backs this view up. And don't condescend me: I know loans cost money, and I know what happened at the end of the Aug / Sep transfer window last season.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Plus we have the January window to potentially spend in as well.

Margins are fine in our league. Investing in Jan suggests a missed opportunity in the summer.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
All I'm saying is that there is no evidence that Bloom is backing Oscar with the same amount of budget as he backed Gus. And this latest statement from Oscar backs this view up. And don't condescend me: I know loans cost money, and I know what happened at the end of the Aug / Sep transfer window last season.

Paul Barber has said Oscars budget is bigger this year than last years.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
This, or something like, is universal practice at the highest levels in US professional sport, and no particular stigma attaches to a team as 'tin-pot' for being on either end of the transaction. I'd anticipate seeing a lot more of it as FFP begins to bite, when the incentives to get out from under long-term contracts -- not that they're all that long in English football by comparison, five, six, seven year deals are nearly unheard of.

Not loans, per se, because they don't exist, but taking on free agents from other teams when the sending team agrees to keep paying some of the player's salary. Or players in the final year of their contract are shipped out to play that contract year somewhere else, even if their new home team isn't likely to turn around and offer them a long-term deal. In many cases it's a move dictated in whole or in part by salary-cap issues.

People don't like it -- fan favorites remain those who come up with one team and retire from it -- but it's been a feature of the landscape for a generation anyways.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Isn't it obvious that we have a stronger squad at the end of last season than the season before so less changes were needed. Since then, we've improved on all players who have left except Bridge and he was always going to be impossible to replace. I would say the new players are better (other than Ward for Bridge) as we have changed:

Chicksen for Painter (not seen Chicksen play but hopefully will be better)
Augustien for Hammond (if he stays fit, he looks a better player)
Andrews for Dicker (improvement)

The only other key player we have lost is Vicente and he hardly played. Any extra loans would just strengthen from here and remember we didn't have Orlandi, Hammond, Lopez and Dobbie (although he obviously struggled) until deadline day and then Upson and Ulloa until January. We are clearly stronger than end of transfer window last year (and even more so than this time last year) so why all the complaints?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Paul Barber has said Oscars budget is bigger this year than last years.

I thought he said similar, but even better. However, so far, no evidence of his claim IMHO.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Isn't it obvious that we have a stronger squad at the end of last season than the season before so less changes were needed. Since then, we've improved on all players who have left except Bridge and he was always going to be impossible to replace. I would say the new players are better (other than Ward for Bridge) as we have changed:

Chicksen for Painter (not seen Chicksen play but hopefully will be better)
Augustien for Hammond (if he stays fit, he looks a better player)
Andrews for Dicker (improvement)

The only other key player we have lost is Vicente and he hardly played. Any extra loans would just strengthen from here and remember we didn't have Orlandi, Hammond, Lopez and Dobbie (although he obviously struggled) until deadline day and then Upson and Ulloa until January. We are clearly stronger than end of transfer window last year (and even more so than this time last year) so why all the complaints?

All agreed. Except we now need to strengthen up front, keeping in mind we were stupid enough to renew Hoskins contract, and CMS will not return until Sep / Oct.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
All agreed. Except we now need to strengthen up front, keeping in mind we were stupid enough to renew Hoskins contract, and CMS will not return until Sep / Oct.

I agree with your point but CMS and Barnes were our only strikers this time last season as Ulloa hadn't signed and Hoskins was out until October/November. Another couple of players would be great (a striker and a winger ideally) but I do think our wage bill will be similar to last season so we haven't cut the wage budget. When fully fit, I am confident we have a squad to compete and certainly finish in top 10 and maybe even higher.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Well then if you know all that how can you conclude he is not begin backed yet? Just because he has not spent it yet does not mean it is not there does it!
Also, if the budget is the same as last year there is not going to be a huge amount left is there as the squad is now roughly the same size as last year. Probably room for a few more though.

There are some very premature ejaculaters around here at the moment.

Unnecessary insult. I'm just pointing out that, as you seem to admit, we have room for more player acquisitions and, indeed, a need for these acquisitions to take place to remain top 6 contenders. Nothing to do with premature ejaculation, is it? I used question marks in relation to PB's statement re the budget. Do pay attention.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here