Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar planning more loans

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Some people need a bit of realism though. I'm not saying we won't be top 6 but having had the summer that's just gone, we were always going to have a slightly difficult start. If we can get a couple more players, then I'm confident we can challenge but we won yesterday with a few players out so we have a reasonable squad already.

Again, agreed. But it is not the fans on here that will drift away from the Albion if we don't challenge. It is the butterflies. The danger of a viscous downward spiral is always there. To keep the butterflies happy we need to make a positive signing and at least stay near the top 6 IMHO.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
FFP has ****ed our chances of a promotion challenge imho. Hope I'm wrong of course...
I'm not sure that it has. Much smaller clubs than this one have been promoted to the Premiership in the past. When Blackpool did it four years ago, their ground could only hold about 11,000 and they hastily had to build that "temporary" stand down one side of the ground for Premier League football. There are 7 or 8 clubs with parachute payments and sneaky wealthy owners who can seemingly side-step the new rules, but some of them will nevertheless prove to be poor, and we're as well placed as anyone else in the division apart from those clubs. Top six has to be the target.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
Do you remember GP complaining about how the transfers & wages are split into two pots? The wage fund & transfer budgets are totally separate from each other so there is no relevance to each other

Didn't realise that. But in that case, the budget is a lot smaller than I thought if the free agents wages don't come out of that.

Any players on the horizon?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
People seem to forget with regards to budget what we actually spent and what we received.

Sky said we brought Dobbie for £300k. Crofts was said to be £250k. They were the only signings where we paid a club before january. That's only £550k and both were brought after the sale of Craig Noone. We sold Noone for £1.5 million meaning we had gained £950k. Take that away from the £2 million paid for Ulloa and you find we spent approximately (because those figures are 100% accurate but near enough right) £1.1 million plus signing on fees for the free agents which would have been minimal and you'll find we didn't spend that much.

So without selling anyone, you can't expect millions to be spent.

Not sure that is right. I believe we got back what we paid for Dobbie. There should definitely be more in the pot to buy players if we are matching or increasing last season's budget.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Do you remember GP complaining about how the transfers & wages are split into two pots? The wage fund & transfer budgets are totally separate from each other so there is no relevance to each other

No. That issue was sorted. Now just one big pot I believe.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
So far this season we've signed Agustien, Lopez, Upson, Ward and Andrews. All of whom are either internationals, former internationals and have a fair bit of Prem League or top flight experience. and some useful youngsters; Chicksen... Jury is out as to whether they will succeed or not but their experience means signings 2013 isn't vastly different to Hammond, Orlandi, Dobbie, Bridge. With more loans/signings to come. Is this really any different to last year in terms of activity ?
No Vicente of course but that always was an anomaly and as it turns out a very fleeting one.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
Sky reported on deadline day it was £300k and that Palace only paid around £1m because of a promotion clause in the contract according to people on here.

I would hope we have a bigger budget than last year but difficult to know just how much last years was. But from looking at the amount spent to received, it wasn't much.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Last year's budget WAS generous. Don't believe the Gus BS.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
So far this season we've signed Agustien, Lopez, Upson, Ward and Andrews. All of whom are either internationals, former internationals and have a fair bit of Prem League or top flight experience. and some useful youngsters; Chicksen... Jury is out as to whether they will succeed or not but their experience means signings 2013 isn't vastly different to Hammond, Orlandi, Dobbie, Bridge. With more loans/signings to come. Is this really any different to last year in terms of activity ?
No Vicente of course but that always was an anomaly and as it turns out a very fleeting one.

Still find the signing of Chicksen very strange. He was second choice LB at a league one club but was signed because he was young. But David Burke said that he has the potential to be a good championship player in the future. Surely Maksimenko is our LB for the future and seems a better prospect. So why waste money on him? I though we would be signing LB's that can play in the premier league in the future, not the championship.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Still find the signing of Chicksen very strange. He was second choice LB at a league one club but was signed because he was young. But David Burke said that he has the potential to be a good championship player in the future. Surely Maksimenko is our LB for the future and seems a better prospect. So why waste money on him? I though we would be signing LB's that can play in the premier league in the future, not the championship.

From what I have aeen so far Maksi is more probably a future centre back and very promising at that. I think he lacks the basic pace to play fullback at this level and higher.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
From what I have aeen so far Maksi is more probably a future centre back and very promising at that. I think he lacks the basic pace to play fullback at this level and higher.

Could do. Still not decided. But still seems strange that we have signed a player that the club hope to be good enough for the championship in the future.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

You can reach this conclusion after 20 odd mins of him playing for the Albion against a quality attacking side?

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
You can reach this conclusion after 20 odd mins of him playing for the Albion against a quality attacking side?

I haven't made any conclusion. Just strange that we already have a highly rated young international left back and we needed to sign an experienced left back but we went for another prospect that Burke has said they hope turns into a good championship player. I just feel it's a bit of a strange signing.

And for the record, I missed the Villareal game but thought Chicksen was quality against Crawley.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I'm not sure that it has. Much smaller clubs than this one have been promoted to the Premiership in the past. When Blackpool did it four years ago, their ground could only hold about 11,000 and they hastily had to build that "temporary" stand down one side of the ground for Premier League football. There are 7 or 8 clubs with parachute payments and sneaky wealthy owners who can seemingly side-step the new rules, but some of them will nevertheless prove to be poor, and we're as well placed as anyone else in the division apart from those clubs. Top six has to be the target.

Agreed. Blackburn, Leicester and Forest all out-spent us last year. Didn't do them much good.
Most teams in the league (if not all?) spent more than palace and yet up they went.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Hopefully but FFP wasn't about then. Just can't see us mounting a challenge. We're still weeks behind others imo cos of the shit in the Summer. Really really REALLY hope I'm wrong but my 14th place prediction is looking about right imo... (please be wrong)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
People seem to forget with regards to budget what we actually spent and what we received.

Sky said we brought Dobbie for £300k. Crofts was said to be £250k. They were the only signings where we paid a club before january. That's only £550k and both were brought after the sale of Craig Noone. We sold Noone for £1.5 million meaning we had gained £950k. Take that away from the £2 million paid for Ulloa and you find we spent approximately (because those figures are 100% accurate but near enough right) £1.1 million plus signing on fees for the free agents which would have been minimal and you'll find we didn't spend that much.

So without selling anyone, you can't expect millions to be spent.

Very good points but that would mean we should have 1million Sat in the bank to spend on players if wage bill IS similar and yet all we're hearing is loan loan loan. However SKY also said we sold Dobbie for 800k or so so make that nearly 2million we should have to spend (really can't see it and convinced budget is much, much lower) :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here