Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar planning more loans

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I agree with your point but CMS and Barnes were our only strikers this time last season as Ulloa hadn't signed and Hoskins was out until October/November. Another couple of players would be great (a striker and a winger ideally) but I do think our wage bill will be similar to last season so we haven't cut the wage budget. When fully fit, I am confident we have a squad to compete and certainly finish in top 10 and maybe even higher.

Top 10 won't be enough for the butterflies.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Top 10 won't be enough for the butterflies.

Some people need a bit of realism though. I'm not saying we won't be top 6 but having had the summer that's just gone, we were always going to have a slightly difficult start. If we can get a couple more players, then I'm confident we can challenge but we won yesterday with a few players out so we have a reasonable squad already.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Paul Barber has said Oscars budget is bigger this year than last years.

Which is surely bullshit!!!! Playing budget seems nowhere nr what it was last yr at no. Nowhere near.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Which is surely bullshit!!!! Playing budget seems nowhere nr what it was last yr at no. Nowhere near.

Why is that? You don't know what we are paying for Andrews and Ward and we've negotiated a new deal for Greer, if there is still room for more signings when our squad is already bigger than last season suggests to me that it is a bigger budget.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Why is that? You don't know what we are paying for Andrews and Ward and we've negotiated a new deal for Greer, if there is still room for more signings when our squad is already bigger than last season suggests to me that it is a bigger budget.

No way are we paying huge amounts for them players. Vicente, Bridge and Dobbie all on big wages have gone. We've spent nothing (I think) on transfer fees yet have received some this yr. £2.5 mil on Ulloa, Crofts & Dobbie cost over a mil - at the moment our budget is clearly nowhere nr what it was last yr. And the fact we're looking at loans suggests it won't end up anywhere nr last yrs. FFP has ****ed our chances of a promotion challenge imho. Hope I'm wrong of course...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Some need to get real. We have a better squad than this time last year but suffering from injuries to key players. We are applying the new rules correctly and all this bodes well for the future. As far as some saying that our financial position is so bad need to reflect on past. We have a chairman who is one of the richest in the league and more importantly has the interests of the club foremost in his thinking. Season long loans are a win win for the club.

I was told exactly the same by somebody near the top at The Albion but then again perhaps he doesnt know either. Very few people know TBs actual or even estimated wealth as he doesnt shout abut it, even the so called experts. I am prepared to accept that he is extremely wealthy as I wonder who would give their last £130m to their favourite football team?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
No way are we paying huge amounts for them players.

Andrews was the highest earner at Blackburn, Ward was amongst the highest at Wolves. Both players on prem wages and we dont know how much of them we're paying.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not sure why there are moans about loans. Season long loans give us the option of signing the players next season if things work out, injuries, loss of form, inability to fit in ( Dobbie anyone) give the club the chance to get shot at season's end. Depending on what division we are in after a year of Oscar in charge means that he will have a very good idea of who he wants next season without being lumbered (maybe) with the players we bring in this season. If we are moaning about what look like quality loan signings things can't be that bad at the Albion the moment, we've done food, park and ride, parking, price hikes, trains, what next seat colours :smile:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Thought that it was from the 2 or 3 other clubs the Pozzo family owned or had great financial interest in. Udinese was only 1 such club

Granada in Spain is the only other club they own aside from Watford & Udinese.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Season long loans are VASTLY different to renting a player for a month at which point he pisses off back to a Prem club. They never care as know they just here to play a few 90 mins then get back to the day job. Someone who's here for the whole year is probably trying to earn a new contract as their parent club doesn't want them. Whether that new contract is at Brighton or a higher team, they will be giving their all and reaping the rewards at the end of the season depending on how the club does in the league.

Bridge, Upson and even Hammond cared! People like Assulin, that big Man City idiot that got sent back, the Arsenal Right Back years ago etc. none of them did anything as such a different kind of loan.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Andrews was the highest earner at Blackburn, Ward was amongst the highest at Wolves. Both players on prem wages and we dont know how much of them we're paying.

But they're hardly big names like Bridge & Vicente. Just a hunch tells me we're not paying huge amounts...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
But they're hardly big names like Bridge & Vicente. Just a hunch tells me we're not paying huge amounts...

I know as much or as little as everyone else but from what I do know I suspect you are wrong.
Andrews and Ward will be on a relatively substantial wage and we are likely to be paying most if not all of it.
The return for us if it works out is that potentially they might come to us on a free transfer at the end of the season.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Get in loans on cheap, get promoted, then buy next summer

I totally agree with this as to what is happening or maybe what he's been told.
Spend diddly squat this season, get us in the Prem then you will have a big war chest !

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
People seem to forget with regards to budget what we actually spent and what we received.

Sky said we brought Dobbie for £300k. Crofts was said to be £250k. They were the only signings where we paid a club before january. That's only £550k and both were brought after the sale of Craig Noone. We sold Noone for £1.5 million meaning we had gained £950k. Take that away from the £2 million paid for Ulloa and you find we spent approximately (because those figures are 100% accurate but near enough right) £1.1 million plus signing on fees for the free agents which would have been minimal and you'll find we didn't spend that much.

So without selling anyone, you can't expect millions to be spent.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
People seem to forget with regards to budget what we actually spent and what we received.

Sky said we brought Dobbie for £300k. Crofts was said to be £250k. They were the only signings where we paid a club before january. That's only £550k and both were brought after the sale of Craig Noone. We sold Noone for £1.5 million meaning we had gained £950k. Take that away from the £2 million paid for Ulloa and you find we spent approximately (because those figures are 100% accurate but near enough right) £1.1 million plus signing on fees for the free agents which would have been minimal and you'll find we didn't spend that much.

So without selling anyone, you can't expect millions to be spent.

Do you remember GP complaining about how the transfers & wages are split into two pots? The wage fund & transfer budgets are totally separate from each other so there is no relevance to each other

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here