Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Open Heart Surgery

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
I went to the RSCH for my open heart surgery five years ago - in Thursday evening, operation on the Friday morning - was sitting up awake at 5am on the Saturday morning. Discharged Tuesday lunchtime. The care is just brilliant, the surgeons. the nurses, the cleaners, the food all excellent. Coughing in the weeks post op was the only painful bit - the tip was to hold a cushion against your chest and lean into it and then cough, no pain then! Exercise sessions start 6 weeks after your op and they are great fun - twice a week for 5 weeks at Moulsecoomb Leisure Centre off the Lewes Road.

All in all, you're in safe hands - and if you get taken up to theatre by Brian the porter - he's an Albion fan of many years. We talked all things Albion from the ward, in the lift and right up to when I was knocked out!

You'll be fine - don't worry, it'll be soon behind you and you can join a growing band of Albion fans who have had open heart surgery - and yes we do bleed blue & white! Good luck.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I went to the RSCH for my open heart surgery five years ago - in Thursday evening, operation on the Friday morning - was sitting up awake at 5am on the Saturday morning. Discharged Tuesday lunchtime. The care is just brilliant, the surgeons. the nurses, the cleaners, the food all excellent. Coughing in the weeks post op was the only painful bit - the tip was to hold a cushion against your chest and lean into it and then cough, no pain then! Exercise sessions start 6 weeks after your op and they are great fun - twice a week for 5 weeks at Moulsecoomb Leisure Centre off the Lewes Road.

All in all, you're in safe hands - and if you get taken up to theatre by Brian the porter - he's an Albion fan of many years. We talked all things Albion from the ward, in the lift and right up to when I was knocked out!

You'll be fine - don't worry, it'll be soon behind you and you can join a growing band of Albion fans who have had open heart surgery - and yes we do bleed blue & white! Good luck.

thanks for that it goes some way to putting my mind to rest, not so frightened of the surgery(I had two discs out there some time ago) my fear is the waiting after getting a letter saying the furring was bad and the breathlessness is getting worse.
thanks again to all for your good wishes.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
after spending a few days in the DGH 10 days ago with a minor attack the heart doctor told me to ring the RSCH because I had heard nothing about the Op astounded to hear they had never recieved anything from Eastbourne (10 weeks had gone by) sorted now and waiting for a date.
both hospitals now in "special measures" whatever that means (answers on a postcard)
the days I was in hospital a few weeks ago and today it seems like they just take the phone off the hook.
symtoms now nearly passing out especially at night and breathing like I spent 10 rounds with Mike Tyson

beginning to think it was a wrong decision and should had chosen St Thomas in London .........might have been done by now

Jul 7, 2003
after spending a few days in the DGH 10 days ago with a minor attack the heart doctor told me to ring the RSCH because I had heard nothing about the Op astounded to hear they had never recieved anything from Eastbourne (10 weeks had gone by) sorted now and waiting for a date.
both hospitals now in "special measures" whatever that means (answers on a postcard)
the days I was in hospital a few weeks ago and today it seems like they just take the phone off the hook.
symtoms now nearly passing out especially at night and breathing like I spent 10 rounds with Mike Tyson

beginning to think it was a wrong decision and should had chosen St Thomas in London .........might have been done by now

Trying to be positive, now they are in special measures then cases like yours should be prioritised. However, maybe it is worth a chat with your GP to see if St Thomas' is still an option given what has happened locally.

Good luck and best wishes for a speedy resolution and recovery .

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane

My dad had similar symptoms about a year ago and three sessions of lasering arteries and several new type stents later together with a drastically improved drug regime and he's in a much much much better place. So much so that the last time he came to the Albion he positively bounced up the stairs to the West Upper in comparison to much younger models. He's 70 now and had a triple heart bypass at 54 so it was about time the old plumbing needed a bit of a service.

Chin up and make sure that whatever happens you take the rehab seriously as this is where your battle will be won!

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

I'm beginning to think I may be in the same position.

Had an angiogram two weeks ago in Redhill - this confirmed that one artery is totally blocked, one badly blocked and the other partially blocked. Last Wednesday at Redhill they attempted the insertion of a stent but this failed and I was told I was to be put on this Friday's 'list' for a further attempt at an angioplasty at St Thomas' in London and would get a letter giving me the details. If this failed then I would have to have a 'bypass'.

Heard nothing by yesterday's post and tried ringing to find out what's going on - going round in circles and am currently waiting for a phone call.

In the meantime I'm 'rattling' with all the pills I'm taking and any effort greater than a slow walk causes pain which thankfully goes after a few minutes rest. How you've managed to last 10 weeks I don't know - less than a week for me and I'm exhausted. Good luck with your op.

black & white seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Brighton
My mum had surgery two days ago to remove an aortic aneurysm. It was in France, where she lives, so I can't recommend a hospital or surgeon, but all I can say is that everything went exactly to plan and she's making a good recovery. I was able to speak to her on the phone yesterday, only 24 hours after the surgery. She sounded as if she'd necked a bottle of whisky, but it was incredible that we were able to have a conversation so soon after such a serious op. I hope you have the same good experience (if that's the right choice of words!) as she's had.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I'm beginning to think I may be in the same position.

Had an angiogram two weeks ago in Redhill - this confirmed that one artery is totally blocked, one badly blocked and the other partially blocked. Last Wednesday at Redhill they attempted the insertion of a stent but this failed and I was told I was to be put on this Friday's 'list' for a further attempt at an angioplasty at St Thomas' in London and would get a letter giving me the details. If this failed then I would have to have a 'bypass'.

Heard nothing by yesterday's post and tried ringing to find out what's going on - going round in circles and am currently waiting for a phone call.

In the meantime I'm 'rattling' with all the pills I'm taking and any effort greater than a slow walk causes pain which thankfully goes after a few minutes rest. How you've managed to last 10 weeks I don't know - less than a week for me and I'm exhausted. Good luck with your op.

Looks like I'm going to be waiting somewhat longer - 6th November now given as the date!

blimey and I am worried
take it easy mate
hope all goes well

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
date at last
pre-op assessment 10th Oct and Hove polyclinic
Op soon after I hope

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here