Open Heart Surgery

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
All the best for a quick recovery.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
My dad had his reverse Alien chest burster taken car of at London Bridge and they did such a thorough good job 22 years ago that when ,as can be inevitable, he had a minor blip/re-occurrence recently they couldn't work out what the chap had done to his plumbing! (All sorted now.)

Def check out mortality rates, for peace of mind not fear, and pick the one with the best recovery rates and after care treatment but if I were you i'd go St Thomas's.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
My Dad had a bypass op in London (don't know where) in 1987 and still going strong. Dunno about him but it scared the shit out of me.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
I had a triple bypass at Harefield four and a half years ago and no problems since. They keep you so doped up that I can hardly remember any of it until I was on a ward recovering a few days later. I was back at work six weeks later. They like you to walk or exercise afterwards; I didn't think much of the exercise classes so got a big dog and walk miles every day. Amazingly good care, and I can never get over what the op would have cost in (say) the USA. I'm told (I've never bothered to find out) that you can buy a dvd of your op!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
All the best mate

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
What are you likely to be having done, Glas?

I'm amazed at how 'routine' CABG (heart bypass) has become over the years at our place (Southampton General) and how risks of surgery have decreased. When I first started, the average age of the patients seemed to be about 55, as the inherent risks of operating on older patients was too great. That was the late 90's/early 2000s. Now, whenever I see the cardiac list, the patients seem to be well into their 80's.

You're in good hands wherever you go and you'll be right as rain in no time. :)

All the best.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
All the best wherever you choose!

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
The mother in-law came out of Harefields a week ago after having 3 values replaced and to be honest I was stunned at the pace of the recovery. she spent more time in hospital before the op than after as she was home in 10 days. The first few days she was in cloud cuckoo land with all the drugs but although physically still weak, mentally back to normal (as normal as possible for a mother in-law) in about a week.

The only downer with Harefields is the location stuck up a country lane near Uxbridge the traffic was a nightmare and public transport not really an option but the staff are excellent and you do get the top heart surgeon.

Best wishes where ever you go.

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
I underwnet open heart and lung surgery last June. Had it done at Papworth hospital in Cambridge, without doubt the best hospital in the country by a country mile for heart and lung surgery.
I'd ask if you could go there if I was you

I second that. Had lung surgery there and it's also a beautiful place. Unfortunately it will be moving to Addenbrookes at some point.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
I second that. Had lung surgery there and it's also a beautiful place. Unfortunately it will be moving to Addenbrookes at some point.

I live in Brighton so travelling for family and friends is an issue but they have properties up there and you can rent rooms out for long periods and it's very cheap.
Papworth is in the top 3 hospitals in the world for lung and heart surgery, they have fantastic staff and like footychick says, it's set in a beautiful area,
Good luck with your surgery

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Good luck mate - not that you'll need it these days, but wishing you a speedy recovery.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
just seen on local TV some guy who had an aortic valve done by keyhole ................I'll have some of that thanks
update
waiting for a date to have it done at RSH

portlander

Jul 16, 2003
Portland, Maine, USA
Encouraging stuff for you on here glas. Don't have any personal connections with anyone who's had this kind of surgery, but they do amazing things these days. Will be thinking of you. All the best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here