Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Open Heart Surgery

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Good luck Glasfryn. Ask all the questions you can think of at the pre-op. As mentioned earlier I had valve surgery at Papworth in November 2013. The waiting in the weeks beforehand is likely to be the worst bit - certainly it was for me.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Hope you get your op soon - all this waiting around is a real pain - sods law we're missing the best start to a season I can remember!

good thing I can't get there at the moment ..........the excitement might be to much

joker

BHA Blues Away
Aug 2, 2010
Eastbourne
I got rushed in to the RSCH following my fifth heart attack back in May 2013, I had been off work for three months before that, I could hardly breathe, they gave me an angiogram on the morning of 7 May and decided there and then that I needed a CABG, heart bypass, I ended up having a triple heart bypass and my aortic valve replaced apparently., they took me to theatre and that's the last I remember of before the op, they were brilliant, my surgeon is Mr Ude Trevedi, I owe that man and his team my life as I was told I would not have made it through that day, I was that ill. Enough of that.
I was taken off life support a few hours later, and already started feeling better, no wheezing, I came round with my beautiful wife by my side.
The following morning they got me out of bed, then six days later, I was begging them to let me home as there was a little game on tv I wanted to watch, eventually they let me out, oh and the game was the Albion v Palace second leg, so the stress levels are ok.
The next couple of months were tough but so worth it, I met some great people in cardiac rehab and the gym, I went back to work exactly three months after my op, oh and I also survived a further life saving op after suffering a burst decode all ulcer ten days after my first op.
Now over two years later I feel so much better, I can again look forward to my life, a life given back to me by a whole lot of people that I shall be eternally indebted to, these panoply are/were total strangers but saved my life twice.
I guess what I am saying Glas is, have your op mate, you will be fine, the people looking after you are fantastic, wherever you have it done, listen to your doctors, do as they say, do the rehab if you need it, and enjoy many many years with your family and watching our beloved Albion, your recouperation will take as long as you want it too, oh and one little tip, try not to sneeze for a month or so, cos that does hurt.
All the best

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
, try not to sneeze for a month or so, cos that does hurt.
All the best
Yes, and proper uncontrolled laughing out loud. After mine, I'm a celebrity was on the telly so I should have been safe. But it was the one where the snooker player Steve Davis fell into a lake. damn that hurt.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I got rushed in to the RSCH following my fifth heart attack back in May 2013, I had been off work for three months before that, I could hardly breathe, they gave me an angiogram on the morning of 7 May and decided there and then that I needed a CABG, heart bypass, I ended up having a triple heart bypass and my aortic valve replaced apparently., they took me to theatre and that's the last I remember of before the op, they were brilliant, my surgeon is Mr Ude Trevedi, I owe that man and his team my life as I was told I would not have made it through that day, I was that ill. Enough of that.
I was taken off life support a few hours later, and already started feeling better, no wheezing, I came round with my beautiful wife by my side.
The following morning they got me out of bed, then six days later, I was begging them to let me home as there was a little game on tv I wanted to watch, eventually they let me out, oh and the game was the Albion v Palace second leg, so the stress levels are ok.
The next couple of months were tough but so worth it, I met some great people in cardiac rehab and the gym, I went back to work exactly three months after my op, oh and I also survived a further life saving op after suffering a burst decode all ulcer ten days after my first op.
Now over two years later I feel so much better, I can again look forward to my life, a life given back to me by a whole lot of people that I shall be eternally indebted to, these panoply are/were total strangers but saved my life twice.
I guess what I am saying Glas is, have your op mate, you will be fine, the people looking after you are fantastic, wherever you have it done, listen to your doctors, do as they say, do the rehab if you need it, and enjoy many many years with your family and watching our beloved Albion, your recouperation will take as long as you want it too, oh and one little tip, try not to sneeze for a month or so, cos that does hurt.
All the best

this the guy I am seeing 0n the day I go for pre-op assessment, he has got a great record.
thanks for that joker it has put my mind as ease
in fact thanks to all who have passed on good wishes :bowdown:

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
I'd like to add my best wishes and positive vibes to both Glas and Creaky too, if I may.

Hopefully this thread will have given both of you a bit of a boost to know that as crap as you feel right now, you can look forwards with genuine optimism.
Heart problems are no longer necessarily the beginning of the end, in most cases they are just the prelude to a new beginning, where after the surgery you will almost certainly feel better than you have for years.

Fortunately for me, unlike you two, in my particular circumstances I didn't have to go through months of worry and anxiety waiting to find out where and when you will have your ops, that must be so frustrating and I genuinely feel for you.

I had my heart attack on August 7th 2014, and my operation on August 8th 2014, so I only had 24 hours to contemplate my possible demise, and that seemed bad enough!

As it turned out, as with a lot of fellow BHA supporters by the look of it, I was unnecessarily morbid, the operation was a complete success and 1 year on I feel absolutely great ... as will you two guys I'm sure.

The only downside is the side effect.
I am now extremely allergic to cats, but I've been told that's absolutely normal and everyone has that problem after heart surgery ...... :whistle:

Rehab is a must, make sure you take it up.
Not just for your physical well being, but also for your mental well being.

It's brilliant talking to other survivors during your gym sessions, it's proper therapy.
Whatever problems you are experiencing, someone else will have been through the same and worse, and I always felt better on my way home from rehab having witnessed and heard how amazing some people's stories are.

So chin up boys, better times are around the corner, fingers crossed you get your ops soon.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
the Surgeon is going to try and do it "keyhole" but if not the traditional route,could be anytime in the next 6 weeks.
long and arduous journey across to hove yesterday, and on the way found Churchill Square teeming, I love Brighton but am glad I don't live there anymore, to fast, to many people rushing about, but a good and efficient bus service

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
When I first came on this board the discussion was all about eating drinking and away football etc now it's about operations and illness etc I think it's called getting old just hope I see the Albion in the Premership before I start pushing up Daisies.:whistle::ohmy:
I also think the club should start providing oxengen halfway up the stairs to the WSU:facepalm:
Ps good luck with the op.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
in next Monday
Op Tuesday
jeez that was quick

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Like I and a few others on here have said, it does work. Nearly 25 years now since my quadruple bypass and never had any bother since.

You will really be fine after this and in a week or so be and feel absolutely great. The only slight downside I had was for a few months afterwards I seemed to be mildly depressed but according to my consultant that's not unusual because you suddenly realise that perhaps you are mortal. It soon passed.

I think that its highly likely in 25 years that they have got even better at it then when I had mine done so I know your be as right as ninepence.

Anyway good luck but don't ogle the nurses for a few days after the op. :nono: :wink:

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
Watch out for the guy who does the shaving... that ain't fun! I found after the op that every time I coughed it hurt like crazy: no-one seemed over;ly concerned. I'm sure everything will go well - this is really routine surgery these days. Best wishes...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here