Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old Squad Photos

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
I found this broadsheet pullout from the Daily Express in the 1960s featuring 'Brighton's Soccer Men'. Unfortunately, it was already creased - but I've scanned it in for your perusal. Any idea what year this was?

And - yes! - manager Freddie Goodwin in colour!

Wow .... the first team I remember watching .... Kit Napier, Charlie Livesey and all!

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Steve burtneshaw was before my time, as a player, but was well known in Albion history and had spells in management with Arsenal, Wednesday & QPR, i believe.

As for that wondeful pic of Freddie Goodwin's team, I reckon Dec/Jan period of the 68/69 season. Dawson was signed in early December but Eddie Spearritt was signed in mid Jan, so that narrows it down. Also george dalton broke his leg in early jan, a break which ended his career (may even have been Boxing day?) so I'll go for a Dec 68 pic.

Remember Dawson scoring the winner against Pompey in a League Cup first round tie in August 1969 also remember Dalton's leg break too

Last edited:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I remember Alex Dawson scoring a goal with a back heel and looking up into the North Stand and laughing ! Great player and brilliant character.
:albion2:

That came from the great battles between dawson and the brilliant teenage goalie of Walsall, Phil Parkes, who went on to have a long career at the top and didn't he play for England?

Over a series of games that season (we played Walsall 6 times) Parkes stood up to everything dawson threw at him except for this cute backheel and I hope someone can find a pic of dawson, arm raised (like a Cantona) whilst parkes is on his knees.

Incidentally, I think Parke's last senior game may have been for Ipswich and his last touch of the ball would have been picking it out of the net from a wonder Wilkins strike which put us into the Play-offs.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
BTW anybody notice the old Townsend Thoreson advertising behind the players` heads? I remember them advertising quite heavily at the Goldstone. It will mean nothing to today's youngsters of course.

I seem to recall that Townsend Thoreson's major shareholder was Keith Wickenden, who was of course an Albion director and the brains behind Mike Bamber, until his untimely death. That would explain the advertising.

The Bobby Smith in the line-up is certainly not THE Bobby Smith....

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Here's Alex Dawson, second along on the top row.....

Any idea of the year of this photo?

Attachments

• 1960s-no2.jpg
    1960s-no2.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 946

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I was fishing yesterday wearing an Albion t shirt, and this old chap came up and said he used to play for us back in the fifties. His name was Steve Burtenshaw. Nice bloke he was too. Had a good chat.

Any oldies (older than me anyway) on here that remember him?
Steve Burtenshaw was a good bloke.
He used to give up his spare time to coach the kids at the 67 Centre in Moulsecoomb

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Powney, Dawson, J Napier, Gilliver, Bell, Gall, Turner, Sidebottom.
Wilkinson, Henderson, Spearritt, Lawton, Dalton(?), Armstrong.
Napier K, Templeman.

Great kit too!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Powney, Dawson, J Napier, Gilliver, Bell, Gall, Turner, Sidebottom.
Wilkinson, Henderson, Spearritt, Lawton, Dalton(?), Armstrong.
Napier K, Templeman.

Great kit too!

What a great memory you have!

Charles Buchan's Football Monthly has it as Bobby Smith rather than Dalton. Other than that, you've nailed it. :thumbsup:

(And yes, magnificent kit. Like a blue Arsenal. Hopefully, one day, the Albion will play in a blue Ajax-style kit!)

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Yes, I'd go with Bobby smith (the lesser known!). Dalton had a career ending broken leg the season before although I thought it might be one of those where he comes back as a player but has to give up.

He actually joined the backroom staff and followed Goodwin, along with Bell, to birmingham. Willie Bell was a very classy left back. Only had one season with us but a veteran Scottish international and ex Leeds.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Well, here's the 1981-82 team photo. Without cheating, I bet no one recognises the chap on the front row between Moshe Gariani and Mike Bailey....

Attachments

• 1982.jpg
    1982.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 927

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
is it someone called Matt Wiltshire or something ?

No, it isn't. Who he?

Nor is it George Foster. In the magazine I got the picture from, it said that in 1981-82, Brighton signed this player called George Foster from Plymouth. Was he heard of since?

Any more guesses?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here