Old Squad Photos

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
No-one has the team photo which included Dean Saunders' little soldier having a look out from his shorts then?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
No-one has the team photo which included Dean Saunders' little soldier having a look out from his shorts then?

Afraid not :(

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Found some info about Tommy Mason MK 2 (from a Middlesbrough programme in 1981-82):
"Young defender released by Fulham at the end of last season. Signed by Alan Mullery shortly before his departure to Charlton having originally been spotted by former Brighton Assistant Manager, Ken Craggs. His opportunities at Fulham were limited."

The programme also has a profile of a Brighton player called Mark Vanston, described as "a Steyning born youngster who is still an apprentice but averaged better than a goal a game in all appearances in the Youth and Reserves last season." Could still do a job?

Last edited:

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Here's my contribution...

Any suggestions of date. Early 70's sometime?? No prizes for naming them

Attachments

• brighton.jpg
    brighton.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 679

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
That's the pat saward promotion winning team of 71/72. I think there's already another pic of them up on the thread.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Found some info about Tommy Mason MK 2 (from a Middlesbrough programme in 1981-82):
"Young defender released by Fulham at the end of last season. Signed by Alan Mullery shortly before his departure to Charlton having originally been spotted by former Brighton Assistant Manager, Ken Craggs. His opportunities at Fulham were limited."

The programme also has a profile of a Brighton player called Mark Vanston, described as "a Steyning born youngster who is still an apprentice but averaged better than a goal a game in all appearances in the Youth and Reserves last season." Could still do a job?

Mark Vanston was a Worthing / Steyning lad, who was a prolific goalscorer for the youth team at the time, a team by the way that was full of British players rather than the local Sussex lads now.

He ended up being released before being offered a professional deal and ended up in USA and was a successful college player there !!!

I am sure he is still there.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Talking of fringe players, there's a lot of them here! (circa 1979-80)

Again I can name many of the obscure players in this picture, however I am struggling with the guy to the right of George Aitkin, the Ginger lad and who is the lad on the left shoulder of Mike Ring ( Wayne Orton ?? ) surely not !!!

George Walter Foster (born 26 September 1956 in Plymouth) is a retired English footballer and manager, who spent the majority of his career at Plymouth Argyle and Mansfield Town. He began his career as a full-back, but was later moved into central defence.

Foster began his career at his hometown club Plymouth Argyle, making his debut in a Division Three match against Hereford United on 20 February 1974.[1] During an eight-year spell at Argyle, Foster played more than 200 games for the club, and also had loan spells at Devon rivals Torquay United and Exeter City.

In June 1982, Derby County paid £40,000 for his services, but would only spend one season at the Baseball Ground, before moving to Mansfield the following summer on a free transfer. He made his Mansfield debut on 27 August 1983 in a 4-0 defeat against Bristol City.[2] However, things would soon take a turn for the better. In his first season at the club, Foster was named Player of the Year, and in 1984-85, he was named team captain, and marshalled a defence that only conceded 38 goals in the league.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Yep, generally referred to as 'Yank' .......... I think he was financed by his parents at the time.

Does anyone know who the others might be ???

Yes, you are right. The one sitting on the floor in the middle is Skouras. :thumbsup:

Again I can name many of the obscure players in this picture, however I am struggling with the guy to the right of George Aitkin

Here's a clue, First name is Frank

the Ginger lad

He's a Tony

and who is the lad on the left shoulder of Mike Ring ( Wayne Orton ?? ) surely not !!!

A Paul.

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
During an eight-year spell at Argyle, Foster played more than 200 games for the club, and also had loan spells at Devon rivals Torquay United and Exeter City.

In June 1982, Derby County paid £40,000 for his services, but would only spend one season at the Baseball Ground, before moving to Mansfield the following summer on a free transfer.

Thank you for the information. So Tiger magazine in 1981-82 was probably wrong!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here