Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old Squad Photos

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
I found this broadsheet pullout from the Daily Express in the 1960s featuring 'Brighton's Soccer Men'. Unfortunately, it was already creased - but I've scanned it in for your perusal. Any idea what year this was?

And - yes! - manager Freddie Goodwin in colour!

I think this is 1968-69, Alex Dawson joined during that season and Tony Burns left at the end of it.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
I was fishing yesterday wearing an Albion t shirt, and this old chap came up and said he used to play for us back in the fifties. His name was Steve Burtenshaw. Nice bloke he was too. Had a good chat.

Any oldies (older than me anyway) on here that remember him?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Steve burtneshaw was before my time, as a player, but was well known in Albion history and had spells in management with Arsenal, Wednesday & QPR, i believe.

As for that wondeful pic of Freddie Goodwin's team, I reckon Dec/Jan period of the 68/69 season. Dawson was signed in early December but Eddie Spearritt was signed in mid Jan, so that narrows it down. Also george dalton broke his leg in early jan, a break which ended his career (may even have been Boxing day?) so I'll go for a Dec 68 pic.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think this is 1968-69, Alex Dawson joined during that season and Tony Burns left at the end of it.

I bloody well loved Alex Dawson. One of the toughest centre forwards ever.

Diving header anyone ?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
he certainly was and I'll have to do one of my threads on him if somebody doesn't get there 1st!

Jan 15, 2004
I was fishing yesterday wearing an Albion t shirt, and this old chap came up and said he used to play for us back in the fifties. His name was Steve Burtenshaw. Nice bloke he was too. Had a good chat.

Any oldies (older than me anyway) on here that remember him?

Seems he's a serial chatter on Worthing seafront.... he did the very same to me and my lad the other week. Really nice bloke

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
I bloody well loved Alex Dawson. One of the toughest centre forwards ever.

Diving header anyone ?

Alex was a great header of the ball, but was not given enough credit for his ability to hold the ball. If a long pass upfield found him he rarely lost possession for the team although he looked clumsy, I wish Glen Murray could learn the knack, like Big Alex and Bobby Z.

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
I found this broadsheet pullout from the Daily Express in the 1960s featuring 'Brighton's Soccer Men'. Unfortunately, it was already creased - but I've scanned it in for your perusal. Any idea what year this was?

And - yes! - manager Freddie Goodwin in colour!

That is a cracking photo. Surprised Bobby Smith wasn't bigger having heard my Dad speaking of him "ball and goalie in the net" etc.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
After seeing thread with the Goldstone pics, reminded me of this picture, think it's the team of 78 but i'm sure i'll be corrected if wrong. Wonder how many old squad photo's lying around in peoples lofts or cupboards?

View attachment 17435

Im not sure that picture is big enough. I want each players head to fill my whole screen.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Well, I've just come across this team photo from 1975-76. Enjoy!

Attachments

• brighton75-76.jpg
    brighton75-76.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 879

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
Blimey that first photo takes me back :bowdown:

Did anyone ever get into the players bar at goldstone.....tiny room with the bar (if I can remember) on the left as you entered

I went in there quite a few times - it was very small (by today's standards) with a bar on one side. On one occasion I spoke (unsurprisingly) to Graham Mosely - his was a reasonably well known face in the bar!!!

BTW anybody notice the old Townsend Thoreson advertising behind the players` heads? I remember them advertising quite heavily at the Goldstone. It will mean nothing to today's youngsters of course.

I went in there quite a few times - it was very small (by today's standards) with a bar on one side. On one occasion I spoke (unsurprisingly) to Graham Mosely - his was a reasonably well known face in the bar!!!

BTW anybody notice the old Townsend Thoreson advertising behind the players` heads? I remember them advertising quite heavily at the Goldstone. It will mean nothing to today's youngsters of course.

who remembers the Townsend Thoreson Cup????

Now, THERE was a trophy!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here