Old Squad Photos

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Sadly, by Mike bailey's time, my fanatical following of everything albion had been chipped away at be drink, a wife & kids. Can't name all from that pick and no idea of that guy next to Bailey and I'll not cheat by looking it up.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
No, it isn't. Who he?

Nor is it George Foster. In the magazine I got the picture from, it said that in 1981-82, Brighton signed this player called George Foster from Plymouth. Was he heard of since?

Any more guesses?

It is Tommy Mason, I think he came from Fulham, but definitely Tommy Mason, left back, think he played a couple of first team games.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
It is Tommy Mason, I think he came from Fulham, but definitely Tommy Mason, left back, think he played a couple of first team games.

I beg to differ and will say that it is deffinatly NOT the Tommy Mason signed, along with Ricky marlowe, by Peter Taylor (the 1st) from Derby.

That TM was a small but tenacious midfield player who didn't quite get the chance he hoped for down here. He also had straight hair and a little beared. used to see him down Sherry's too.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I beg to differ and will say that it is deffinatly NOT the Tommy Mason signed, along with Ricky marlowe, by Peter Taylor (the 1st) from Derby.

That TM was a small but tenacious midfield player who didn't quite get the chance he hoped for down here. He also had straight hair and a little beared. used to see him down Sherry's too.

He might not be the Tommy Mason you allude to, however it is Tommy Mason signed 1983'sh.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Did TM2 ever play?

Must get my old books out one day.

Well, Sir, you are right in that it's listed as Tommy Mason in the team pic but only the 'real' TM is listed in the A-Z and and TM2 was not one of the 19(!) players who appeared in that81/82 season.

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Did TM2 ever play?

Must get my old books out one day.

Well, Sir, you are right in that it's listed as Tommy Mason in the team pic but only the 'real' TM is listed in the A-Z and and TM2 was not one of the 19(!) players who appeared in that81/82 season.

Yeah, he was from Fulham I think, I am sure he played in a couple of first team games, but more likely a cup game or two, rather than league.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Looking at the Tim Carder book, Tommy Mason Mk 2 made no first team appearances for the Albion (I hadn't heard of him before finding that old squad photo). Nor did Mike Kerslake, despite appearing in numerous team photos in various seasons for the Albion.

Thanks for the info on Tommy Mason Mk 1 - I hadn't known there was one!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Looking at the Tim Carder book, Tommy Mason Mk 2 made no first team appearances for the Albion (I hadn't heard of him before finding that old squad photo). Nor did Mike Kerslake, despite appearing in numerous team photos in various seasons for the Albion.

Thanks for the info on Tommy Mason Mk 1 - I hadn't known there was one!

Do the stats include cup games ?

I am not 100% sure but I know he was included in a number of first team squads that year, hence the picture in the first team squad I guess ;-)

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Do the stats include cup games ?

I am not 100% sure but I know he was included in a number of first team squads that year, hence the picture in the first team squad I guess ;-)

Yeah, it includes cup matches. Ring, Vessey and Stille were our fringe players in 1981/82 who did make appearances.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Talking of fringe players, there's a lot of them here! (circa 1979-80)

Attachments

• 1979-80team.jpg
    1979-80team.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 1,161

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Great picture, bizarrely I can name most of the most obscure ones including the apprentices.

But a few I cannot place, the player next to George Aitken and the red haired lad and the lad on the shoulder of Mike Rings left shoulder.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I would suspect that both Ramsey and Geard were also part of those fringe players ?

According to Tim Carder's book, Glen Geard was released in March 1981 by Mullery and was given a second chance under Jimmy Melia in 1983 (although he made no appearances under Melia).

After playing the last few games in the 1980-81 season, Chris Ramsey did not figure at all in the first team under Mike Bailey's reign. However, he was someone else given another chance by Melia, and, as you know, became a first-team regular.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
According to Tim Carder's book, Glen Geard was released in March 1981 by Mullery and was given a second chance under Jimmy Melia in 1983 (although he made no appearances under Melia).

After playing the last few games in the 1980-81 season, Chris Ramsey did not figure at all in the first team under Mike Bailey's reign. However, he was someone else given another chance by Melia.

Geard came back very briefly under Melia without any contract, more a trial period, Ramsey became a close colleague of Giles Stille at the time of Bailey and worked his way into the first team squad under Melia, but was always contracted by the club.

I would conclude that Ramsey was a young player that worked hard to progress at the club and finally rewarded by Melia, rather than given another chance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here