Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Oh Alexis...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Backwards?

Peak Brighton Bissouma is not a step backwards. Admittedly Spurs Bissouma is. Spurs Bissouma isn't even good enough to be a shadow of Brighton Bissouma. :(

Not that it matters as it's unlikely we'll be re-signing him. Still, him and Caicedo as the two would be close to unbeatable.
It would be a backwards step because the club have his potential replacement (s) already in position.

Bringing back Biss, a player I loved, makes absolutely no sense and goes completely against the ethos of the club.

Sorry I kind of thought that didn't need spelling out.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Man City aren't as heavily linked but that move makes the most sense to me.
He is very similar to Gundogan who is slowing down a bit; Manchester City would be the perfect fit for his style of play. I think they should be all over this, he’d do very well there in a similar style of play.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I don't agree with the crazy transfers in modern football but a key play for a team pushing for top 6 and a world cup winner must command a fee of around 100m. I'd feel a little robbed if we only got around 60m for him.
One thing I am certain of is we will get the best fee humanly possible for anyone we sell, at the time we sell them. Bloom and Barber have never let us down on this front. If we get £60-£70m it’s because it’s the top end of what the market dictates. If it’s higher great - but we can only sell for what teams are willing to pay.

Bloom and Barber are the best - the absolute best in the world - every transfer fee we receive is an uplift on whatever the price could’ve been.

In the crazy world of football where fat Americans, Arab nations and Russian oligarchs are owning century long English institutions, every single day I wake up and count my blessings that we have people who truly have the club’s interest at heart.

Whatever Bloom and Barber do, I am behind them 100%.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm sure you're correct but I would still be very happy if he came back. Moises and Biss in a double pivot is mind-blowing.
Having earned his "big move", how motivated do you think Bissouma would be if he now found himself straight back at BHA ? With almost certainly a substantial pay cut ? He wanted the move (understandably), but his career has stagnated. We would not be getting the same player back that we sold. Plus he's under contract there till June 2026, so would hardly be cheap.

Never gonna happen, and rightly so. We just don't operate like that.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It would be a backwards step because the club have his potential replacement (s) already in position.

Bringing back Biss, a player I loved, makes absolutely no sense and goes completely against the ethos of the club.

Sorry I kind of thought that didn't need spelling out.
I should point out I'm thinking of Biss teaming up in the midfield two with Caicedo - the position that I think is Ally Mac's strongest, not in the '10' role that he has been deployed in since Lallana's injury.

With that in mind who are the replacements that we have in house? I can only think of players who are all potential replacements for the advanced role, not the deeper one. Bissouma wouldn't be in competition with them, he'd be in rotation with Caicedo and Gross. Bearing in mind we're not going to get too much more from Caicedo - probably another season at best, possibly just the rest of this season - it very much makes sense and fits the clubs ethos of having a replacement lined up. It also frees up Gross to be deployed as and where he's needed.

So, to my simple mind it begs the question, how is signing a player with a proven track record of being one of the best defensive midfielders in the league a backwards step in the development and progress of this team?

If it's not Biss(and for clarity's sake I don't think it will be) it'll be someone else, of that I'm sure. The only way we don't sign another central midfielder is if the lesser spotted Billy Gilmour suddenly develops into a player that he so far has shown no signs of being or if Moder can be turned into the Polish Ally Mac. Two big ifs in my book - in Gilmour's case because in the 7 months De Zerbi has been here he has rarely used him and in Moder's case because he's been out for a year or more with a serious injury.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I should point out I'm thinking of Biss teaming up in the midfield two with Caicedo - the position that I think is Ally Mac's strongest, not in the '10' role that he has been deployed in since Lallana's injury.

With that in mind who are the replacements that we have in house? I can only think of players who are all potential replacements for the advanced role, not the deeper one. Bissouma wouldn't be in competition with them, he'd be in rotation with Caicedo and Gross. Bearing in mind we're not going to get too much more from Caicedo - probably another season at best, possibly just the rest of this season - it very much makes sense and fits the clubs ethos of having a replacement lined up. It also frees up Gross to be deployed as and where he's needed.

So, to my simple mind it begs the question, how is signing a player with a proven track record of being one of the best defensive midfielders in the league a backwards step in the development and progress of this team?

If it's not Biss(and for clarity's sake I don't think it will be) it'll be someone else, of that I'm sure. The only way we don't sign another central midfielder is if the lesser spotted Billy Gilmour suddenly develops into a player that he so far has shown no signs of being or if Moder can be turned into the Polish Ally Mac. Two big ifs in my book - in Gilmour's case because in the 7 months De Zerbi has been here he has rarely used him and in Moder's case because he's been out for a year or more with a serious injury.
I don't see any problem with a more attack minded midfielder slotting in, after all that's exactly what Mac Allister has done.

Deffo Moder - with the huge caveat you've already covered.
Ayari is clearly very well thought of.
Then of course there's Enciso, Bouna and Sarmiento.
Along with the Polish lad in the Netherlands.

So that'll be 6 players - not including Gilmour or the really obvious one I've forgotten, who'll all be hoping to at least be in the rotation.

What I think will be interesting is RDZ season II. (Assuming he's still here)

He's going to need to tactically evolve beyond this 'free hit' season. (I bet he can't wait), I'd be amazed if that's like for like.

I think/hope in September we'll be watching new tactical masterclasses on The YouTube.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I don't see any problem with a more attack minded midfielder slotting in, after all that's exactly what Mac Allister has done.

So that'll be 6 players - not including Gilmour or the really obvious one I've forgotten, who'll all be hoping to at least be in the rotation.

He's going to need to tactically evolve beyond this 'free hit' season. (I bet he can't wait), I'd be amazed if that's like for like.

I think/hope in September we'll be watching new tactical masterclasses on The YouTube.
I think all those you mention are still 12-18 months away from being ready to be first team regulars(the exception being Moder - for him it is all about how quickly/well he returns to full form after his injury), much like Ally Mac was after his first year with us. They'll need their playing time rationed similarly.

They also don't have the same qualities as Bissouma. He can offer a direct replacement for Caicedo - we'll have a shit load of games next year, what with our European adventures and Caicedo won't be able to play all of them. Having a fresh Caicedo every time he plays will be immense. As will having a fresh Bissouma. As will having the Caicedo - Bissouma double show. They'd destroy pretty much every midfield in the league all the while allowing the young players to learn their craft under no pressure, ready to step into the hole left by Caicedo's summer 2024 departure.

I really see no downside to having Bissouma back. Other than he's not coming back.

You make an interesting point about next season. It will be fascinating to see how and if De Zerbi evolves this team.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think all those you mention are still 12-18 months away from being ready to be first team regulars(the exception being Moder - for him it is all about how quickly/well he returns to full form after his injury), much like Ally Mac was after his first year with us. They'll need their playing time rationed similarly.

They also don't have the same qualities as Bissouma. He can offer a direct replacement for Caicedo - we'll have a shit load of games next year, what with our European adventures and Caicedo won't be able to play all of them. Having a fresh Caicedo every time he plays will be immense. As will having a fresh Bissouma. As will having the Caicedo - Bissouma double show. They'd destroy pretty much every midfield in the league all the while allowing the young players to learn their craft under no pressure, ready to step into the hole left by Caicedo's summer 2024 departure.

I really see no downside to having Bissouma back. Other than he's not coming back.

You make an interesting point about next season. It will be fascinating to see how and if De Zerbi evolves this team.
Really sorry as I don't mean to be trite, but If you're good enough you're old enough.

There's no actual reason why the club wouldn't sign a, say, £30m midfielder - they'll have the money!
But with so much young, full international talent available the club must be hoping 1 or 2 of them could make our midfield there own.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Meh. When one door closes another one opens. If a player's replacement isn't already at the club, you can bet that they have been identified. So if/when Mac or Caicedo leave, I'm excited to see who steps up to the plate.

Just look at the number of players that have essentially come from nowhere – in the eyes of the average football fan – to become an integral part of a squad that is seventh in the league and in the semi-finals of the FA Cup. And in a relatively short time, too. Granted, it will be harder to find these gems, but you'd be a fool if you didn't think Bloom and Co were not committed to the search.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

That's a really odd way of spelling Adam Lallana.

Genuinely don't know if I've been whooshed or I've just schooled you :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's a really odd way of spelling Adam Lallana.

Genuinely don't know if I've been whooshed or I've just schooled you :lolol:
Come on The Lana is the luxury item, nobody is building a team around him.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Moran?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Really sorry as I don't mean to be trite, but If you're good enough you're old enough.

There's no actual reason why the club wouldn't sign a, say, £30m midfielder - they'll have the money!
But with so much young, full international talent available the club must be hoping 1 or 2 of them could make our midfield there own.
Yes, if. Hence the only regular teenager is Ferguson. Most other players take time. I'm sure several of those youngsters will come (very)good and they'll be a joy to watch.

I'm less sure it'll be from August 2023 when 'good enough' is being compared to Ally Mac and in this hypothetical case peak Bissouma.

I should point out if i haven't already that I'm not arguing against the quality of our young starlets nor am I saying I think we're going to re-sign Bissouma. All I'm saying is that having a peak Bissouma in our squad would in no way be a negative.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Kacper Kozłowski is the guy for central midfield, no? Playing full time in the Dutch Eredivisie for Vitesse, scored yesterday, doing well by all accounts. Selected in Polish national squad, older than Enciso and Ferguson.

Or it could be Yasin Ayari, just 10 days older than Kacper, who recently made his debut for the Swedish national team and looked smart in his recent cameo for Brighton.

RDZ seems to have no qualms putting youngsters in, but they would be younger than either Mac (21) or Caicedo (20) on their PL debuts.

But in all reality, how do you replace a World Cup winner in Brightons team? You don't. We certainly can't buy anyone as good, whether that's Biss or anyone else, so will have to try and develop a youngster to be that good (for the second third fourth time, by my count)

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

I’d be very surprised if TB forked out more than £20m for any player. I just don’t think it’s part of his masterplan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here