Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North South Divide?? Are you a Southerner

Not really.

Having followed Brighton for over 30 years, I have a greater affinity with these soft southern shandy drinking poofs, however when it comes to football, i am very much a glory hunter and if Town are doing well, then its Town all the way, if brighton are doing well then Brighton.

As things stand Town cannot now get playoffs and Brighton need the points more than ever, so if I went ( which I am umming and ahhrring as I do get hacked off with the anti Northern chanting stuff) then I would support Brighton.

To be honest that is why after all these years , I am not really like your average Brighton fan in that if we went crunch I would have no problem going to see another side play. I was not brought up on watching football, so I only have localised loyalty. HTFC is my home town team although I left when I was 5, 46 years ago!!!!

It is funny how people come to support teams differently, like you I am not from Brighton, I was born in Portsmouth and moved to Brighton when I was ten. However I do not support Pompey or Hampshire and regard myself as an adopted Brightonian.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It is funny how people come to support teams differently, like you I am not from Brighton, I was born in Portsmouth and moved to Brighton when I was ten. However I do not support Pompey or Hampshire and regard myself as an adopted Brightonian.

I wouldn't say I dont "support" brighton, far from it after 35 odd years of Goldstone, Gillingham, Withdean and the countless away games and following them overseas for pre season friendlies, i think I have probably earned that, however I cannot get as impassioned about the team as other people on here do ( although I was rather vocal about the abilities of the defense on Saturday!!)

Of course I want what is best for Brighton, Falmer, better standard of football etc, but it is not the be and end of all of it.

maybe I have been watching football too long and my enthusiasm has been thrashed out of me:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
Having been born in Sussex and having lived up in wigan & manchester i can say with conviction "its grim up norf " they are not as friendly or as funny as they think they are ! they are narrow minded and workshy and live on a diet of chips and fags.....the sooner theres war declared on the norf and wales the better.....FOR GOD, QUEEN AND THE SOUTH .......... CHARGE

In that case we'd better start raising Offa's Dyke. Thanks for the advance warning.

Philcounty

Feb 25, 2009
Congleton
Stockport fan here, interesting debate your having. I didn't watch the programme so cannot comment on it directly. In my experience it's something you Southerners ;) chant about much more than us Northern monkeys.

Does anybody actually refer to themselves as Northerners or Southerners? If asked where I am from by someone in England I say Stockport (near Manchester if they are not familiar with it), if abroad I say England or The UK. I don't refer to myself as a Northerner.

Personally I don't think there is much difference between towns anywhere in England. You get a mix of different types of people in every town you visit, I think people just focus on the unsavoury element when they visit somewhere and conveniently forget about their own equally unsavoury element back home.

I'm not bothered if you're Northern or Southern, as long as you are supporting a non-Premiershite football team we have something in common that we could bond over. Good luck for the rest of the season, if it comes down to the last game it should be an easy 3 points for you.

p.s I like Ketchup on my burger does that make me Bi?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Int nooorf they art so fit cos they eat

Attachments

• lard.jpg
    lard.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 80

QueueJumperHater

Apr 14, 2009
Nightmare Sunday at Alton Towers

Having just come back from a weekend at Alton Towers I can confirm that the North contains more scum than the South. Arrogant classless twats with the scousers being the worst.

No manners, think they should get everything they want ahead of everyone else and totally classless. Also, the women are worse than the men. The look like women (well sort of) but act like blokes.

I am not saying the South doesn't have total twat because it has plenty but from what I have seen the North contains far more. This weekend has shown why England is decaying...the chav army is growing at a rapid rate.

Must say a special thank you to the hundreds of Irish gypos who were also there for the pure entertainment, never seen so many orange women, wearing bright pink high heels, mini skirts, bright green, orange or pink tops with their guts handing out, half a ton of gold and more make up than aunt sally. The only way you could separate them from the scousers was the accent...just

Totally agree. Didn't know it was the big Traveller Weekend, otherwise would have played safe and gone somewhere else for the day, where the Tango look isn't the fashion. Had a totally crap day, so mailed guest services, they seem to be implying that we could take it further by sending our tickets and a covering letter, but ours have gone in the bin.

Last edited:

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
I'm not bothered if you're Northern or Southern, as long as you are supporting a non-Premiershite football team we have something in common that we could bond over. Good luck for the rest of the season, if it comes down to the last game it should be an easy 3 points for you.

Yep, as long as you support a real team you can't go wrong:lol:
Good luck to you, obviously apart from the last game of the season, i don't know who your remaining games are against but hopefully you can do us a few favours:shrug::yahoo:

Philcounty

Feb 25, 2009
Congleton
Yep, as long as you support a real team you can't go wrong:lol:
Good luck to you, obviously apart from the last game of the season, i don't know who your remaining games are against but hopefully you can do us a few favours:shrug::yahoo:

P'boro, Crewe and Seagulls. I think P'boro may just be out of reach for you guys, but we could do you favours against Crewe. Not sure if we will be able to field a full team come the last game of the season, we only managed 3 subs yesterday :ohmy:

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Usual bollux, a bit like the celtic are wonderful passonate people and English are arrogant tossers.

I am from Sussex and proud of it I am not a Essex/Cockeny type knob, so if that makes me a proud southerner then good if not then I am still proud of being from Sussex and I let everyone know it!

Hove&Albion F.C

May 15, 2004
I really don't believe there is much of a North/South divide. To me it seems a lot more local than that- I mean, all the Mancs I know give me stick for being Southern (in jest), but Scousers and Yorkshiremen in particular seem to be the butt of far more jokes... generally, Mancs seem to dislike anyone from anywhere outside of Manchester. I seems to be the same elsewhere- when I've been in Newcastle for example it seemed the same with Sunderland, Boro etc.

Basically, i think that guy was talking complete bollocks. :thumbsup:

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
I have lived in Coventry for over 20 years now. It won't be long before I have lived in Coventry longer than I lived in Brighton. Will always see myself as a Brightonian though

Renns

Renns Junior
Nov 8, 2006
Huddersfield/Birmingham
Huddersfield Royal Infirmary.

lived in Berry Brow ( by the Railway Bridge) until I was 5 and then moved to Wakefield till 7 and then to South Africa. In Armitage Bridge Church, my Grandfather's brother's name is on the War Memorial having died in the 1st WW. My dad played cricket for Armitage Bridge for many years

My Nan lived in Primrose Hill overlooking the Cricket Ground and my Gran in Mirfield

I would have gone over that bridge you speak of today on the train into town. I live in Honley, basically the next village along from Berry Brow. Small world eh

Renns

Renns Junior
Nov 8, 2006
Huddersfield/Birmingham
Not really.

Having followed Brighton for over 30 years, I have a greater affinity with these soft southern shandy drinking poofs, however when it comes to football, i am very much a glory hunter and if Town are doing well, then its Town all the way, if brighton are doing well then Brighton.

As things stand Town cannot now get playoffs and Brighton need the points more than ever, so if I went ( which I am umming and ahhrring as I do get hacked off with the anti Northern chanting stuff) then I would support Brighton.

To be honest that is why after all these years , I am not really like your average Brighton fan in that if we went crunch I would have no problem going to see another side play. I was not brought up on watching football, so I only have localised loyalty. HTFC is my home town team although I left when I was 5, 46 years ago!!!!

So what stand will you be in at the end of the season, home or away?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So what stand will you be in at the end of the season, home or away?

probably playing cricket and keeping an ear out for the score

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here