Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North South Divide?? Are you a Southerner

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Yorkshire in particular has many snobby identities. Never more so than from what part of Yorkshire you live in. Living in North Yorkshire appears to be the be all and end all of everything.

f*** it! My birth certificate says 'East Ridings', so I guess I was born on the wrong side of the tracks!

I can live with the shame though as we pitched up in BN2 in '65

:albion2:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
and New Brightonians have it made from freshly sieved italian vine tomatoes, with farm assured gloucester old spot bacon. If they are not f***ing vegetarians.

I'm an old Brightonian and a veggie and proud to be both

I live in Leeds (but from Brighton) and what gets me is that they call me a cockney. Aghghghghghg, unless the bow bells were extremely noisy on my birth date, then no I'm not a cockney.

Of course we southerners have local indentities. I identify with growing up by the sea, the downs and away days to London. I'm sure other towns in Sussex also identify with that. I also identify the accent, which as I have moved away can clearly hear as opposed to a London accent.

Yorkshire in particular has many snobby identities. Never more so than from what part of Yorkshire you live in. Living in North Yorkshire appears to be the be all and end all of everything.

they used to call me cockney when I lived in Shrewsbury and when I started calling them Brummies because Birmingham is 50 miles from Shrewsbury they did'nt like it up'em
but once I pointed out that Brighton was 50 miles south of London it stopped....result

all millages are approimate

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It's all a load of tosh based on envy.

Seriously though, I would suggest there is not too much difference between Londoners and the home counties (myself being born in London raised in Sussex) however there is a vast difference between the South East and the South West.

Sussex is NOT a home county.:censored:

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
I live in Leeds (but from Brighton) and what gets me is that they call me a cockney. Aghghghghghg, unless the bow bells were extremely noisy on my birth date, then no I'm not a cockney.

Of course we southerners have local indentities. I identify with growing up by the sea, the downs and away days to London. I'm sure other towns in Sussex also identify with that. I also identify the accent, which as I have moved away can clearly hear as opposed to a London accent.

i can relate to the first part, i live near Donny but originate from Haywards Heath and get called a "cockney B*stard" at least 20 times every day at work and they reckon i eat jellied eels every day ! all in jest i hasten to add. But generally speaking they do call all southerners cockneys

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Up north , anyone with a southern accent is from London. The rural Lincolnshire accent is similar to the rural Sussex accent , must be something to do with agriculture , oo ar.:)

BIG GAY AL

May 27, 2008
i watched that programme, i thought he was a knob head.

completely agree, he just looked at it in such a poncey 'look at me im northern we stick together and southereners are all wankers' way. im from west sussex and i identify myself asa being from sussex seeing i have lived here all my life, but people have numerous idenities, and one of them far down the list is southerner, but this bloke seemed to believe the northerners idenity is north and thats it. it just seems like such a generalised view that i bet most wouldnt agree. Anyway the twattish presentor cant really talk he moved down south for a job!!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
f*** it! My birth certificate says 'East Ridings', so I guess I was born on the wrong side of the tracks!

I can live with the shame though as we pitched up in BN2 in '65

:albion2:

West Yorkshire...la la la

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'm a southerner, although I don't specifically identify myself as such when I'm asked where I'm from (I say I'm from Sussex).

I was born in Chichester, brought up in various parts of the country but never any further north than Oxford, and have lived back in God's County for the last 9 years now.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Where abouts were you born in Huddersfield, Dave?

Huddersfield Royal Infirmary.

lived in Berry Brow ( by the Railway Bridge) until I was 5 and then moved to Wakefield till 7 and then to South Africa. In Armitage Bridge Church, my Grandfather's brother's name is on the War Memorial having died in the 1st WW. My dad played cricket for Armitage Bridge for many years

My Nan lived in Primrose Hill overlooking the Cricket Ground and my Gran in Mirfield

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I'm a Southerner. Born and bred in Brighton. Dad's a Southerner. Born and bred in Brighton nearly 100 years ago. We know we're Southern because when we speak, people can understand us.

It's all a load of tosh based on envy. There are far more geographical groups than North/South. For example, the north is split into two, a)everything north of watford gap except for b) merseyside.
Can someone explain why "Watford Gap" is singled out as some sort of dividing line?

I can understand Watford being relevant to Londoners, but what's so special about a small village in Northamptonshire that has a motorway service station nearby?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would agree with that as I can hear the Sussex accent and it is still evident in the way I say certain words and commented on by people with whom I work. I have lived in London for a number of years and have also been mistaken for being a Cockney (cor blimey luva duck), although I was born in East Sussex, which I still regard as home.

Which words highlight your Sussex accent?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Which words highlight your Sussex accent?

Misspronouncing the 'th' in the middle of a word as a 'v'...hence Wor'v'ing...dropping the 'h' at the beginning of a word, thus you have 'orsham...and refusing to do anything that someone from outside Gods own county asks you to do by telling them that 'you wunt be druv'...or summing like that!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here