Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North South Divide?? Are you a Southerner

BIG GAY AL

May 27, 2008
just watched a programme which seemed incredibly biased and the producer seemed to have his conclusion even before they thought of the show, but they said that southerners dont have a southern idenity, instead we just see people from chelsea, chichester or brighton. what are peoples opinions on this and do you still think there is a north south divide??

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Don't have our own identity? Clearly northerners and southerners are defined by this identity:

North: Brown sauce in your bacon butties
South: Ketchup in your bacon butties

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I would politely suggest that is complete and utter bollocks, ok...it wasn't that polite.

Southerners definitely have their own identity, there is a fair difference between someone who comes from say the Medway towns, East London or West Sussex...and I don't just mean the accent...which to many Northerners all seems to merge into one...and those twats are really precious about being from Yorkshire, Lancashire or any other one of their slum towns.

There you go, my post contained insults...some loosely veiled and others less so...how would a northerner like it if we claimed they were all like that...we know that they aren't and their local identities are as many and varied as ours in the south of England.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Don't have our own identity? Clearly northerners and southerners are defined by this identity:

North: Brown sauce in your bacon butties
South: Ketchup in your bacon butties

Yup, that seems a pretty good way to work out the difference...but mine also have mustard in them, just for a bit of extra flavour...what does that make me?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Yup, that seems a pretty good way to work out the difference...but mine also have mustard in them, just for a bit of extra flavour...what does that make me?

and New Brightonians have it made from freshly sieved italian vine tomatoes, with farm assured gloucester old spot bacon. If they are not f***ing vegetarians.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I live in Leeds (but from Brighton) and what gets me is that they call me a cockney. Aghghghghghg, unless the bow bells were extremely noisy on my birth date, then no I'm not a cockney.

Of course we southerners have local indentities. I identify with growing up by the sea, the downs and away days to London. I'm sure other towns in Sussex also identify with that. I also identify the accent, which as I have moved away can clearly hear as opposed to a London accent.

Yorkshire in particular has many snobby identities. Never more so than from what part of Yorkshire you live in. Living in North Yorkshire appears to be the be all and end all of everything.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's all a load of tosh based on envy. There are far more geographical groups than North/South. For example, the north is split into two, a)everything north of watford gap except for b) merseyside. You can tell the difference because scousers have an annoying accent and their shoulders are broader as a result of evolution and the large invisible chip they continuously carry.

Seriously though, I would suggest there is not too much difference between Londoners and the home counties (myself being born in London raised in Sussex) however there is a vast difference between the South East and the South West.

I didn't see the programme but no doubt there were complaints the national stadium should not have been built in the nations capital but in Manchester or, god forbid, Birmingham!

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
I speak English, meaning I must be a Southerner.

Renns

Renns Junior
Nov 8, 2006
Huddersfield/Birmingham
I live in Leeds (but from Brighton) and what gets me is that they call me a cockney. Aghghghghghg, unless the bow bells were extremely noisy on my birth date, then no I'm not a cockney.

Of course we southerners have local indentities. I identify with growing up by the sea, the downs and away days to London. I'm sure other towns in Sussex also identify with that. I also identify the accent, which as I have moved away can clearly hear as opposed to a London accent.

Yorkshire in particular has many snobby identities. Never more so than from what part of Yorkshire you live in. Living in North Yorkshire appears to be the be all and end all of everything.

In Huddersfield us southerners are classed as "posh" :lolol:

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London

I would agree with that as I can hear the Sussex accent and it is still evident in the way I say certain words and commented on by people with whom I work. I have lived in London for a number of years and have also been mistaken for being a Cockney (cor blimey luva duck), although I was born in East Sussex, which I still regard as home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here