Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North South Divide?? Are you a Southerner

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
Don't have our own identity? Clearly northerners and southerners are defined by this identity:

North: Brown sauce in your bacon butties
South: Ketchup in your bacon butties

I'm confused,i'm from Chelsea but i hate ketchup and will only have a bacon butty if it's got brown sauce on it.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
In Huddersfield us southerners are classed as "posh" :lolol:

I get this all the time in Sheffield. People also think I'm a cockney from time to time and one lad from Blackpool confusingly asked me if I was from South Africa once. :shrug:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I keep getting asked by Americans which part of Australia I come from...when I tell them that I don't, the next question is usually why I have an Australian accent...go figure!

Proud to be from the South. There is alot of bias towards southerners up Noth, but if they hate us so much why do so many of them choose to come and live down here?

We don't choose - we prefer the higher standard of living we enjoy through historically lower property values.
And that should be bias against southerners, don't you think?

Huddersfield Royal Infirmary.

lived in Berry Brow ( by the Railway Bridge) until I was 5 and then moved to Wakefield till 7 and then to South Africa. In Armitage Bridge Church, my Grandfather's brother's name is on the War Memorial having died in the 1st WW. My dad played cricket for Armitage Bridge for many years

My Nan lived in Primrose Hill overlooking the Cricket Ground and my Gran in Mirfield

Ah, that explains why you're an Albion fan then.....

(My Auntie Audrey lives in Mirfield!)

Last edited:

Can someone explain why "Watford Gap" is singled out as some sort of dividing line?

I can understand Watford being relevant to Londoners, but what's so special about a small village in Northamptonshire that has a motorway service station nearby?

I always thought Watford was the traditional humourous starting point, as I think the expression pre-dates the M1 and that people just got confused when Watford Gap became well-known. Or it could be WG is perceived as being the last stop before the midlands?

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Misspronouncing the 'th' in the middle of a word as a 'v'...hence Wor'v'ing...dropping the 'h' at the beginning of a word, thus you have 'orsham...!

Very good - Choglat is another

BIG GAY AL

May 27, 2008
Can someone explain why "Watford Gap" is singled out as some sort of dividing line?

I can understand Watford being relevant to Londoners, but what's so special about a small village in Northamptonshire that has a motorway service station nearby?

im not 100% sure but on this programme it seemed to make out that it was because it was the first dervice station and was a meeting point between the north and the south so some reason it became the line over time. this si me working on what was said in the show and im kind of guessing but it seems to be something like that :shrug:

he also made out the new 'north' line runs just above leicester based on jobs and economy etc. i go to uni there i can get to london quicker from there than my home near bognor. i just dont see wh we have this north south idea so much anymore isnt it more london possible commuters and non london possible commuters, and to a lesser extent similiar cities with such a pulling power like birmingham and manchester

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Funny this thread should crop up now really.

This afternoon I had to endure some complete **** telling everyone in the pub that the further you went north the more friendly the people get.

Now having been to Aberdeen I'd dare to disagree.

You may say well he have been talking about England, well Carlisle is a horrible place full of horrible people and you can't get allot further north than that.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying the south is full of people who'd lend you a fiver every time you ask but the north is full of miserable northern tosspots who think because you are from down south you think you are better than them (which of course we are......more money, better weather, speak the queens, better looking women etc etc) so have a massive chip on their shoulder.

So f*** the north. The south is clearly the better place to live/work due to the amount of northerners that venture down here looking for the streets paved with gold.

Along with the Irish, Scots, Aussies, Kiwis, any other f***ing nation/region that I have to tolerate on a daily basis, if you don't like it f*** off back to where you came from.

the north is full of miserable northern tosspots who think because you are from down south you think you are better than them (which of course we are......more money, better weather, speak the queens, .

The speech of the urban working classes in the south-east is as far removed from the Queen's English as Scouse.

Along with the Irish, Scots, Aussies, Kiwis, any other f***ing nation/region that I have to tolerate on a daily basis, if you don't like it f*** off back to where you came from.

I did do. But thank you for having me.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I'm a southerner and I know that this season - from Brighton, Portsmouth, Southampton, Lewes, Reading, to Bournemouth, us southerners have been crap and a poor second to dem pesky northerners.....

im not 100% sure but on this programme it seemed to make out that it was because it was the first dervice station and was a meeting point between the north and the south so some reason it became the line over time. this si me working on what was said in the show and im kind of guessing but it seems to be something like that :shrug:

he also made out the new 'north' line runs just above leicester based on jobs and economy etc. i go to uni there i can get to london quicker from there than my home near bognor. i just dont see wh we have this north south idea so much anymore isnt it more london possible commuters and non london possible commuters, and to a lesser extent similiar cities with such a pulling power like birmingham and manchester

The economic north/south dividing line runs roughly from the Wash to the Bristol Channel.

BIG GAY AL

May 27, 2008
The economic north/south dividing line runs roughly from the Wash to the Bristol Channel.

yes, but what this guy on this programme was saying is that due to places becoming more popular ands more economic they have forced the line up in the middle past leicester. personally i like the way that if a plac becomes better economically with more culture etc. the PHD doctors in geography feel the need to redraw this imaginary line so it includes these new places, we seem only a few steps away from saying there are blobs of the south way in the north because they economically strong and have high living standards!

anyway i keep on blabbling on about this f***ing programme that really annoyed meso i thought id give a to it on iplayer in case anyone has a spare hour to waste, i mean it is a bank holiday (bt that dont make much difference to me im at uni everyday is a bank holiday!).

BBC iPlayer - Time Shift: Series 8: The North-South Divide

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here