Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New strikers next season,

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
:facepalm: So you are happy to go with the three strikers who have spectacular fallen short of the required standard? Or two of them, IF one leaves?

Thank The Lord the club ignore your letters about who they should sign.

You've got it in for Baldock. I like him. Not so sure why we signed him though, as out left clearly isn't his position, and he can't play up front on his own. I'm just hoping that he plays as the withdrawn forward in Hughton's 4-4-1-1.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I thought Vetokele looked class against us in the 2-2 home match; I'd have backed him to score 20+ after seeing him take those 2 chances. Only 11 goals this season doesn't necessarily mean he'll only score a similar amount next year, as Glenn Murray showed after his first season at Palace.

With you on Vetokele. I'd even go as far to say that he's the best I've seen at the Amex. It was his first season. I expect he'll get plenty more next. Charlton have done pretty well since we beat them and caused their manager to get sacked, in that dull game in January.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You've got it in for Baldock. I like him. Not so sure why we signed him though, as out left clearly isn't his position, and he can't play up front on his own. I'm just hoping that he plays as the withdrawn forward in Hughton's 4-4-1-1.

I haven't 'got it in for him' at all. You surely can't argue with the statement, that being signed as our main striking target, then going on to score ONE league goal all season, is 'falling spectacularly short of the required standard'?

He scored a lot of goals in League One, so he's clearly not terrible. The defending is genuinely pathetic in L1 though. Players are afforded time and space to finish, that they are simply never going to get a league higher. Unless he can compose himself in front of goal he is no use to us.

His very well taken goal against Arsenal shows what he COULD do.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We are missing PACE out wide, and POWER in the middle.

If we are randomly naming potential Prem loanees, I'd like to see Chuba Akpom. A couple of years ahead of someone like Solanke.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
You surely can't argue with the statement, that being signed as our main striking target, then going on to score ONE league goal all season, is 'falling spectacularly short of the required standard'?

Can I argue with it? He has scored THREE league goals all season. (Not that I argue with your general point).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I haven't 'got it in for him' at all. You surely can't argue with the statement, that being signed as our main striking target, then going on to score ONE league goal all season, is 'falling spectacularly short of the required standard'?

He scored a lot of goals in League One, so he's clearly not terrible. The defending is genuinely pathetic in L1 though. Players are afforded time and space to finish, that they are simply never going to get a league higher. Unless he can compose himself in front of goal he is no use to us.

Absolute nonsense piece of analysis. Baldock would score 30-40 goals next season if only we would play another (big) bloke up front with him.

Honestly, I thought BensGrandad had told you this already?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Absolute nonsense piece of analysis. Baldock would score 30-40 goals next season if only we would play another (big) bloke up front with him.

Honestly, I thought BensGrandad had told you this already?

I only post my ill thought out drivel on here, in the hope that BG will set me straight each time, and help me overcome my complete lack of football knowledge or insight.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I only post my ill thought out drivel on here, in the hope that BG will set me straight each time, and help me overcome my complete lack of football knowledge or insight.

I am always glad to educate somebody. Baldock and CMS are both renowned goal scorers playing as the 2nd striker but we choose to play them as a lone striker or out wide.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Alright. Perhaps I went a little too far, and yes, I agree about that Arsenal goal, which showed precisely the qualities we need: good movement, and good finishing. I seem to remember that you were questioning his movement earlier in the season; I maintain that it's still good, especially in and around the penalty area (which is the point at which COG becomes pants). But what will really matter is what his finishing is like.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Burnley will have cash to spend and I can see them letting Ashley Barnes go. Barnes and Baldock up top would be good and one other striker.

Much though I like what you're suggesting, I don't think Barnes would come back. And I think he has done enough to show he can cut it at the highest level.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Much though I like what you're suggesting, I don't think Barnes would come back. And I think he has done enough to show he can cut it at the highest level.
Would depend on the Albion's ambition. Lots of names banded around are no better than we have, which is poor. If we are going to succeed we need to buy quality and not has-beens or average at best.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
He would be the 'big fish' in the pool rather than the other way round, so who knows.

I'm just aware that he (Barnes) left because he did not feel "wanted".

But maybe if we went after him, he would feel wanted. I would welcome him back with open arms, but would the previous Barnes baiters be so magnanimous?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here