Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New strikers next season,

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
Bring me a giant of a man to batter centre backs and let the creative midfielders and natural scoring of Baldock flourish. A ten goal a season beast will be fine thanks.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If Derby go up and he is seen as surpless to requirements which I doubt he will be, I would go all out for Chris Martin.

Vetokele from Charlton might be worth a shot, although he only managed 11 goals this season.

If not I would have a look at Emnes at Swansea, he could fall back down the pecking order if they make a couple of Summer signings.

Nick Powell at Man United hasnt made any real strides since Joining them from Crewe, Maybe a time for him to drop down a league or two, pick him up as a second striker?

I thought Vetokele looked class against us in the 2-2 home match; I'd have backed him to score 20+ after seeing him take those 2 chances. Only 11 goals this season doesn't necessarily mean he'll only score a similar amount next year, as Glenn Murray showed after his first season at Palace.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
In the catagory of HEADING MASTERS I'd go for:

Kenwyne Jones.
Rudy Gestede (Class)
Clayton Donaldson

For FORGOTTON MEN:

Jermaine Beckford. He has been on FIRE for Preston since going there on loan.
Libor Kozak (Also a UNIT at 1.93m)
Sone Aluko. Nippy little bugger.
Danny Graham
Vaz te (moved from West ham to Turkey but I believe his contract is up in the summer).

Who needs a scouting team?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Everybody on here slated the suggestion of him and Eiderr Gudjohnsen but they have done well for Bolton., It has been mentioned many times but I would look at bringing back BZ not for his goals but what he will supply for Baldock and CMS . Failing that Beckford.

That might be difficult

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
I think we really need to almost clear the decks and get a new pairing at the back as well but for strikers

Adam Le Fondre and Joe Garner are good shouts
As a back up I would go for Ruben Reid

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
We really need to stop looking in the UK - players are just overpriced and not that great.

We need another Ulloa style player - so scouting in Europe is a must. A player who I think we should go for (and I know I have said it before) is Sporting Kansas City striker Dom Dwyer, who was actually born in Sussex. Only 24 and has a career total so far of 88 appearances for Sporting KC and Orlando City with 50 goals. Brentford were reportedly interested last Summer and he would probably have a price-tag of around £2 Million, so it could be a risk.

I am confident our recruitment will be stronger this Summer, not least because the manager will be in charge of it - like it should be.

I wish I had your confidence.

On the plus side we no longer have Burke at the club. As for all of the others who 'contributed' to the 'judge us at the end of August' recruitment drive, let's hope none of them are involved for next season. If that includes Bloom and/or Barber-so be it.

I also wish that I shared your confidence that Hughton will make better signings.

One thing is certain-the current lot masquerading as strikers need replacing.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
One thing is certain-the current lot masquerading as strikers need replacing.

I'd say thats unfair on Baldock and O'Grady.

COG is asked to do a job for the team and when he plays he does that. The one time he actually got a run of games and he, in my opinion, was excellent.

Baldock, under CH, finally had a purpose as a striker and was beginning to show the types of finishes we expected.....and then he got injured.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I'd say thats unfair on Baldock and O'Grady.

COG is asked to do a job for the team and when he plays he does that. The one time he actually got a run of games and he, in my opinion, was excellent.

Baldock, under CH, finally had a purpose as a striker and was beginning to show the types of finishes we expected.....and then he got injured.

I look at their combined goal tally this season. Maybe a bit unfair on Baldock who I'd actually forgotten about but the rest of them can go. Yes, COG does the job asked of him-I just wish that job was to score goals.

As a team we have let in 3 goals more than Watford but there are only 5 teams who have scored less than us, one of which is Sheffield Wednesday in 12th place-how the hell did they do that?

Collectively our forwards have been a disaster so if they were to all be released I won't be too upset. Maybe Baldock can be given until Christmas but the others? A bloody defender has scored more than them!

Stumpy Tim

While we definitely need a couple of new strikers, we actually still need players capable of feeding them. Equally as important as two strikers is two wingers. KLL is very hit & miss, especially when starting, and March is having injury problems & can't shoulder all the creativity in the team on his own. Since Bennett, Noone & Buckley left we've really struggled to create - largely because they've been replaced with Baldock (a striker), Calderon (a full-back) and McCourt (an alcoholic).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Your vision and knowledge of football is zilch. The reason Baldock and CMS struggled was due to the way we set up COG just isnt good enough. I have repeatedly said that playing 2 up front, a big man and a support striker has proved to be effective for promotion from this division in the past few years. Now we have partially abandoned the Spanish keep ball system lets completely revert to what the players know and can play either 3- 5-2 ,or 4-4-2.

I'll take that (from you) as a compliment.

The reason Baldock had struggled up front is mostly that he's barely played up front, although he did himself no favours by snatching at most of the few chances he did get.

The reason CMS has struggled is nothing to do with systems. It's simply that he lacks the basic skills to succeed at this level. He cannot control a football consistently well, or quickly enough. He has little strength to hold off a defender. His shooting is erratic at best. He has absolutely no composure in front of goal. No 'big man' alongside him will alter any of those sorry facts.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Goalscorers are the top priority. With a goal or two each game, we would have challenged for the play-offs again. Look at our goals against column - almost as good as Derby and Ipswich, better than Brentford and Wolves. Once we had scored a couple, we would have been very difficult to peg back. I would love to see a striking pair (Nelson/Bremner, Ward/Mellor, Forster/Murray) and I think Baldock would thrive alongside the right target man (as would have CMS if we had played to his strengths from the word go)

Other than the fact that all season we have conceded within about 3 minutes of scoring....

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
We have Baldock so I would give CMS a new contract and sign a bog man up front if CH says he will play 4-4-2 It has worked for most of the teams promoted from this division in the last couple of years.

Time for CMS to do one. Nice bloke and all that, but simply cannot control a football. Just not good enough.

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
I like the Charlton striker Vetokele.

Maybe someone like Bamford on loan - with our facilities PL clubs are going to want their players here, surely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here