Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New strikers next season,

Shipley8312

Aug 12, 2014
i think we are in a tricky position when it comes to finding a striker for next season.

only just avoiding relegation ( to be fully confirmed ) means it will be hard to poach any from the teams above us or indeed from the prem league.
which mean we either buy a big name from the prem who is in the twilight of his career with not alot left to offer in a league as competitive as ours.
Or as we did with sam balldock we shop in league 1 for talent with potential.

im sure as in recent we will shop in the foreign markets too but this has also proved to be hit and miss

i dont envy the scouts task for the summer ahead

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Agree with the above, even freeing up some wages via the impending cull, we will find it difficult to attract high quality, proven, keen goalscorers. Should be fun though!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
i think we are in a tricky position when it comes to finding a striker for next season.

only just avoiding relegation ( to be fully confirmed ) means it will be hard to poach any from the teams above us or indeed from the prem league.
which mean we either buy a big name from the prem who is in the twilight of his career with not alot left to offer in a league as competitive as ours.

im sure as in recent we will shop in the foreign markets too but this has also proved to be hit and miss

Warren found Walton maybe he already has someone in mind

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Borja Baston from Atletico (on loan at Zaragoza) or Sergio Araujo from Boca (on loan at Las Palmas) would be interesting, and possibly within our bounds.

Luciano Becchio is obviously well out of favour at Norwich, would Hughton be tempted to sign him up again? Who knows whether he has still got it though..

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

I hope that they've been working their asses off since January or earlier.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
I think I'm correct with the following fact...

FIVE Albion 'strikers' managed SIX league goals between, for Pete's sake Darren Bent almost matched that in One month at the club and has surpassed that easily in his short stay at Derby where he's helping them to a playoff position.

We're no footballing scouts but I think the majority of us could easily have picked out and bought cheaper striker options from the lower leagues and easily beat our rabbles tally.

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
Need to sign young, hot prospects aswell as proven scorers. I like the look of Elliot Lee at West Ham U21 s . Already better than CMS !

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Zamora to replace COG
Vaz Te to replace CMS

Sign the clone of Ulloa to replace Best

Job done for strikers.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Georgios Samaras? Doesn't appear to have a future at West Brom, is good in the air and works well as a target man for others to play off.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
A fair few unrealistic targets being mentioned on here I think.

Gestede has had an excellent season, and will only move upwards. Rhodes was mentioned (admittedly by BG) on another thread: he too will go to better things than Blackburn. Bamford is apparently more likely to be loaned to a Premier League side next season- a West Brom sort of level club.

Matt Smith is more realistic, but is largely unproven at Championship level (virtually all his goals this season have been in League One I think). Le Fondre looked overweight and lazy when I saw him play for Bolton against us recently, and tends to score far more off the bench than he does when starting. We need a starting striker, not an impact sub.

One name mentioned that interested me is Ruben Reid. Not that I imagine he'd be our saviour, and he'd have to make a huge step up, but he might be worth a little gamble as an extra option in conjunction with others. Young, clearly knows where the goal is, scored a few in a side that's not been prolific as a whole. Plus the last two players we got off Plymouth haven't done too badly....

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Double post.

Feb 21, 2009
Said it before on other threads and il say it again on this one, one player for me and can't believe no one else has said him, Daryl Murphy at Ipswich, always scores against us, big striker with goals and a bit if pace.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Said it before on other threads and il say it again on this one, one player for me and can't believe no one else has said him, Daryl Murphy at Ipswich, always scores against us, big striker with goals and a bit if pace.

He's just had the most successful season of his entire career, under a manager he clearly gets on with, and may well end up promoted at the end of it.

Why on earth would he look at us? :ohmy:

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Personally a big difference is the service provided to the strikers especially from out wide. Good wide attackers assist and score a large number of goals themselves. Our do not. This is the area I think needs correcting 1st. Address this we will address the scoring issues.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here