Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay...SIGNED FOR EVERTON.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I feel it was a mistake to lose Neal, and I will miss him hugely, but we have Welbeck, Undav, Ferguson and Enciso (Tross?) who can all play in the central front role, a role which only one player occupies.

I wouldn’t want to have to rely on Enciso or Ferguson for any length of time this season (too green, too much pressure) but either could fill in for a couple of games at a time. Undav (on the little I know) seems a puzzle. Possibly slower and less mobile than Maups, but perhaps a touch stronger/more clinical?

If we’re looking for someone in the Danny Welbeck mould, I’m not sure we have them, so if there is any recruitment, that’s where I’d hope to see it.

There is a thread on Redcafe talking about Evan Ferguson entitled Like Haaland but with (not as much) pace. We do have a Welbeck sub - but he’s only 17!

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Sad to see him go but it wouldn't have been without good reason. Every club he's played for except, I think, Brentford has ended up moving him to the fringes for an extended period of time before selling him. Maybe there's something in that pattern. I wish him well (just not against us).

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Sad to see him go but it wouldn't have been without good reason. Every club he's played for except, I think, Brentford has ended up moving him to the fringes for an extended period of time before selling him. Maybe there's something in that pattern. I wish him well (just not against us).

Or he just refused to extend his contract so we sold now rather than let him go for nothing?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Erm, nope. He scored in 5 of the last 6 games of the season for Brentford before joining us.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
I may be seeing things that aren't there but in GP's presser from yesterday I really felt like he was suggesting we have a replacement coming in. "You never want to be reactive". Perhaps just wishful thinking.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Erm, yep :wink: I did say "every club...except, I think, Brentford"

Ah yeah. To be fair he was only 20 or 21 when he moved to Brentford and wasn’t that prominent anyway was he ?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I believe he is leaving because the Brighton fans referred to him as 'Le petit shitehouse' instead of 'Le shitehouse petit'.

This is also the reason Anthony Knockaert left us for referring to him as 'Le petit magicien' instead of 'Le magicien petit'.

If only we could get our French grammar sorted out we could keep these players.
If it was good enough for Antoine de Saint-Exupéry it was good enough for us...

719fXxqahzL.jpg

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
On Toffee Talk, they seem ok with the signing and someone on there has been on here and quoted me.

Just been browsing a Brighton forum to see what they think and they've quoted you on there and said...

"This one has hit the nail on the head though for me, and why I will miss Neal"

referring to one of there comments this one:

"He will 100% be a cult hero here as he is a master of the dark arts - he’ll get in the opposition’s faces and wind them up - from experience that really gets Goodison going. Yes, he’ll need to score a few but his effort and general shithousery will endear him to the fans"

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I may be seeing things that aren't there but in GP's presser from yesterday I really felt like he was suggesting we have a replacement coming in. "You never want to be reactive". Perhaps just wishful thinking.
Was he saying about the myth 20 goal a season striker as not to put pressure on the new signing?

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Everton fans can't be expecting much for 15m can they? Shouldn't be too much pressure for him, I wouldn't have thought. He can hardly be seen as the Saviour, shirley?

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
There is a thread on Redcafe talking about Evan Ferguson entitled Like Haaland but with (not as much) pace. We do have a Welbeck sub - but he’s only 17!

See, I think that’s unhelpful for Ferguson. He’s got to be his own player, and there’s nothing worse than seeing players getting hailed as the ‘new’ anyone in their teens - and then watching them drift toward the lower leagues through their twenties.

Having seen Connolly hailed and then derided, I really don’t want to see that cycle repeated. I have to trust the management team that they know when he’s ready, and it’s the inside of his head that needs to be strongest of all. How much patience will we still have with him if Welbeck’s out and we get our fourth 0-0 in a row? It’s a lot to put on 17yo shoulders.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here