Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Naming rights

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
:facepalm:

How about we add "association football and concert" in there too?

How about the American Express - Maryland Bank National Association Falmer Community association football and concert venue stadium?

Only way to ensure that in football it is called Falmer

Directors have to have community mentioned and so do the sponsors.

If the Falmer bit isn't in there as well, we'll be known to other fans as just another team with a shit stadium name

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
one problem with naming rights is when they change it. You had The Macalpine Stadium and everyone knew it as the macalpine....now they change it to the Galpharm Stadium and expect everyone to suddenly drop the old name an pick up the new one.

Its a bit MK Dons to be honest.

I think almost to a man everyone will still say, " I am off to Falmer today" as opposed to I am off to "The Amex today". I suppose the only real way it will catch on if it is a well known brand say Reebok, or JJB.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
one problem with naming rights is when they change it. You had The Macalpine Stadium and everyone knew it as the macalpine....now they change it to the Galpharm Stadium and expect everyone to suddenly drop the old name an pick up the new one.

I think almost to a man everyone will still say, " I am off to Falmer today" as opposed to I am off to "The Amex today". I suppose the only real way it will catch on if it is a well known brand say Reebok, or JJB.
or AMEX presumably?

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield

yeah, beacause American Express isn't a well known brand....

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
As has been said it will always be Falmer to us fans.

However the naming rights and whatever the stadium 'officially' becomes named is purely for publicity for the sponsor, just so that Jeff Stelling will have to say '...and now to the...... for a report on the Brighton game.....' or for match reports in the paper or for MOTD etc.
I would expect a lot of publicity over the years following us moving in.

:falmer::falmer::falmer:

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Sorry to be picky, Amex is a charge card company not a credit card, and not in the business of pushing lines of credit at people who cannot afford them.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
You also need to have a robust and squeaky clean credit rating to get an Amex card (Platinum, ahem), so whichever dong was going on about unethical credit card companies, or some other juvenile 6th form shite - do one - they are extremely ethical and the largest employer in the area to boot.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Can I just say that I think "The Emirates" is a shit name for a stadium?

Who wants their club's home to be named after a part of the Middle East? It evokes nothing, unlike "The Bridge", "The Lane", "Ibrox", "Molineux".

Also, new doesn't have to be drab, i.e. The Stadium Of Light. Even Eastlands and the Riverside are better.

I think the Amex Arena flows well and is reasonably memorable, so I'd be happy with that.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Can I just say that I think "The Emirates" is a shit name for a stadium?

Who wants their club's home to be named after a part of the Middle East? It evokes nothing, unlike "The Bridge", "The Lane", "Ibrox", "Molineux".

Also, new doesn't have to be drab, i.e. The Stadium Of Light. Even Eastlands and the Riverside are better.

I think the Amex Arena flows well and is reasonably memorable, so I'd be happy with that.

I would be DELIGHTED to be called anything of the sponsor paid 100m like Emirates did.

The riverside was origianally the btcellnet stadium.

St James's is now the Sportsdirect@st james's park stadium.

So all in all I think arsenal are quite CHUFFEd with their shit-name stadium!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Personnally I hate the name Falmer, and all the negative memories it gives me of the objections to it being built.

As soon as the stadium has a new name, I'll happily and deliberately use that and try to sear the memories of the Falmer word out of my mind.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Let the rest of the country call it what they want.................... Its FALMER to us surely.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Personnally I hate the name Falmer, and all the negative memories it gives me of the objections to it being built.

As soon as the stadium has a new name, I'll happily and deliberately use that and try to sear the memories of the Falmer word out of my mind.

Now I think the complete opposite there sparkie and WANT to remember the struggles.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
However there are still Arsenal fans who refer to it as Ashburton Grove but at the end of the day "The Emirates" isn't a bad name anyway. The Emirates being a place means it's not just a brand name.

You are right. I was up at Falmer about two weeks ago looking at the construction work and there was another guy there ( Arsenal fan ) who was saying he never refers to it as The Emirates......always Ashburton Grove.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
You also need to have a robust and squeaky clean credit rating to get an Amex card (Platinum, ahem), so whichever dong was going on about unethical credit card companies, or some other juvenile 6th form shite - do one - they are extremely ethical and the largest employer in the area to boot.

Toilet.

I've had THREE Amex cards (Green, Blue and Platinum) and my credit rating is beyond a joke.

I was a bankrupt before applying for each of them and at the time of applying for the Platinum I had recently defaulted on a bank loan.

I was proving this very point to a friend at the time who insisted they were ethical responsible lenders.

They're no better than all the others, they just like to think they are.

I'm not saying they're the worst company in the world but they're certainly not one covered in glory. I know quite a few people trapped working for them, all of whom hate the place and earn frankly embarrassing wages.

Amex also bully the local council due to the important part they play in the local economy. Brighton not being blessed with many a large employer means that we've become dependant upon the blue box to keep unemployment figures closer to respectable.

I seem to recall the plans to build a new office behind Amex house (in place of the sports and social club which has since been demolished) were ushered through with barely a whimper of opposition as they threatened to leave Brighton and take all their tax money and jobs with them if they didn't get their way.

My parents both worked for Amex, I have many friends who work and have worked for Amex and even I myself have worked for Amex. NOBODY has a good word to say about them.

I just don't like them but at the end of the day a sponsor is a sponsor and it could be worse so I don't really care that much.

And with regards the unethical companies list, I found it on the Guardian website.

Make of that what you will

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Toilet.

I've had THREE Amex cards (Green, Blue and Platinum) and my credit rating is beyond a joke.

I was a bankrupt before applying for each of them and at the time of applying for the Platinum I had recently defaulted on a bank loan.

I was proving this very point to a friend at the time who insisted they were ethical responsible lenders.

Ah, I think I'm starting to see where you're coming from now.

Here, take this axe. I've got a great place where you can go and grind it.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Toilet.

I've had THREE Amex cards (Green, Blue and Platinum) and my credit rating is beyond a joke. WELL DONE U DIDNT LEARN

I was proving this very point to a friend at the time who insisted they were ethical responsible lenders. THEY ARE

They're no better than all the others, they just like to think they are. THEY ARE

I'm not saying they're the worst company in the world but they're certainly not one covered in glory. I know quite a few people trapped working for them, all of whom hate the place and earn frankly embarrassing wages.I KNOW A FEW TOO< ALL ARE LAZY FUCKERS WHO DO WELL TO TURN UP ON TIME< ONE GUY I KNOW LAST YEAR WORKED JUST "" WEEKS OF THE YEAR.

Amex also bully the local council due to the important part they play in the local economy. Brighton not being blessed with many a large employer means that we've become dependant upon the blue box to keep unemployment figures closer to respectable.

I seem to recall the plans to build a new office behind Amex house (in place of the sports and social club which has since been demolished) were ushered through with barely a whimper of opposition as they threatened to leave Brighton and take all their tax money and jobs with them if they didn't get their way. GO UP THERE AND HAVE A LOOK NOW

My parents both worked for Amex, I have many friends who work and have worked for Amex and even I myself have worked for Amex. NOBODY has a good word to say about them. HAHA

I just don't like them but at the end of the day a sponsor is a sponsor and it could be worse so I don't really care that much.

And with regards the unethical companies list, I found it on the Guardian website.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
But Arsenal's new stadium hadn't existed in the minds of their many fans for a decade prior to it being built.

However there are still Arsenal fans who refer to it as Ashburton Grove but at the end of the day "The Emirates" isn't a bad name anyway. The Emirates being a place means it's not just a brand name.

American Express on the other hand just screams "rip off credit card stadium"

I don't want to be associated with a product that brings such misery to so many people

So will you actually NOT go?

Naming rights are expensive so by definition, the company that gets it will be a large organisation. It will bring valuable revenue to the club and help towards our goal of getting to the Premier League.

Some people need to stop being so f***ing precious and just accept that this is an unavoidable part of modern-day football.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Toilet.

They're no better than all the others, they just like to think they are.

I'm not saying they're the worst company in the world but they're certainly not one covered in glory. I know quite a few people trapped working for them, all of whom hate the place and earn frankly embarrassing wages.

I seem to recall the plans to build a new office behind Amex house (in place of the sports and social club which has since been demolished) were ushered through with barely a whimper of opposition as they threatened to leave Brighton and take all their tax money and jobs with them if they didn't get their way.

My parents both worked for Amex, I have many friends who work and have worked for Amex and even I myself have worked for Amex. NOBODY has a good word to say about them.

I'd get on to Bloom or Perry if I were you.

Once they hear about all this, the deal will be off...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here