Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Naming rights

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Interesting that you don't think irresponsible use of credit might be to blame and that you appear to be happy that we have a new stadium funded by the profits of gambling (misery anyone).

Tony Bloom has come out several times to point out that his wealth is not made up of gambling wins.

Whilst he has obviously had a spot of luck over the years in various Poker tournaments, this is NOT his main source of wealth.

American Express are just as irresponsible and unethical as the rest of the world's major financial institutions who've driven the global economy to ruin

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Tony Bloom has come out several times to point out that his wealth is not made up of gambling wins.

Whilst he has obviously had a spot of luck over the years in various Poker tournaments, this is NOT his main source of wealth.

American Express are just as irresponsible and unethical as the rest of the world's major financial institutions who've driven the global economy to ruin

It's not made up of it but gambling and Internet gambling form the basis of his empire I am lead to believe.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Domain name has been brought by them:

Domain name

amexcommunitystadium.co.uk

Registrant
American Express Company
Registrant type
Non-UK Corporation
Registrant's address
200 Vesey Street
New York
NY
United States
Registrar
Arcemus, LLC [Tag = ARCEMUS]
URL: Iron Mountain | Domain Name Center | Client Login
Relevant dates
Registered on: 22-Apr-2010
Renewal date: 22-Apr-2012
Last updated: 22-Apr-2010
Registration status
Registered until renewal date.
Name servers
gw.aexp.com
gw2.aexp.com
WHOIS lookup made at 18:39:37 16-May-2010

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Domain name has been brought by them:

Domain name

amexcommunitystadium.co.uk

Registrant
American Express Company
Registrant type
Non-UK Corporation
Registrant's address
200 Vesey Street
New York
NY
United States

Registrar
Arcemus, LLC [Tag = ARCEMUS]
URL: Iron Mountain | Domain Name Center | Client Login
Relevant dates
Registered on: 22-Apr-2010
Renewal date: 22-Apr-2012
Last updated: 22-Apr-2010
Registration status
Registered until renewal date.
Name servers
gw.aexp.com
gw2.aexp.com
WHOIS lookup made at 18:39:37 16-May-2010

sorry don't mean to be thick but how the hell do you get that info??:shrug:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I don't see Amex as unethical. They provide a service which several people need. In terms of being ethical, Mr Squid, your list has no tobacco companies on it and Nestlè are the most unethical of the lot. Not doubting its credibility, just saying its strange.

As Amex contribute 2x any sponsorship employees raise and are extremely active in the community and regularly strive to involve itself in charity work I find it all a bit strange...

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Good work Clipped Gull, happy to stand corrected.

No idea where the unethical companies bit is coming from though.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm fairly sure the club have previously confirmed the name will include "community stadium"

i'm not sure that holds anymore since theres a lack of funding from community based grants as was orginally planned.

i'd be quite happy for the Bloom stadium since he paid for it, but a sponsor to help pay on going footballing side would be great. it'll always be known as Falmer to us either way. oh, and a Goldstone stand/end will be required as will a Knight stand/end. Dick Knight Stand will cause much merth to the travelling fan.

oh yeah... Camelot in top 10 unethical? the lottery people? hows that then? As for Bloom's source of income, i wonder what people would think if it came from a percieved unethical source?

Stumpy Tim

I love this "I don't want their money". Well you're not getting their money - the club is (allegedly). If you don't like we'll all look forward to you putting several million dollars into the clubs coffers instead.

This is what's so frustrating about football supporters. On the one hand we have fans moaning because we're not spending enough on players, and on the other hand we have fans suggesting Amex money isn't good enough. Baffles me

They are listed in the TOP TEN of the world's least ethical brands:

1. McDonald's

2. Nike

3. Shell

4. Adidas

5. Barclays Bank

6. Coca-Cola

7. BP

8. Camelot

9. American Express

10. Nestle

Furthermore I used to work for them and was encouraged to sign people up for services they didn't want because 1 in 4 cardholders wouldn't notice
Source?

The reason for asking is that Covalence list American Express as the 155th most ethical of the 581 major multinational companies in the world, and top of the most ethical list of companies providing financial services. The list was last updated on 15 April 2010.

Covalence EthicalQuote Across Sectors

Interesting to see Ryanair at 574th and the bottom two (ie the worst) as Halliburton and Monsanto.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Working for Amex, I would be quite happy with that as they may have some employee benefits or a Corp box they offer out?

It's ironic that the club does not accept Amex atm.

One of the sold out boxes is logically being held back for the Stadium Sponsors but as they only hold about 20 people I'd imagine you'd have to be a bit of a high flyer at Amex to even get a sniff for the 1st year or so?

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
I think it's a shame that after all these years American Express have now decided to come out of the woodwork, when there have been ample opportunities (ie cries for financial support) over the past 20-30 years.
Better late than never I guess.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here