Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] My Irrational Hatred of Beheady Howe

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
The ventriloquist, his mouth doesn't move when he mutters.

Eddie Howe:
Eddie Howe (2).jpg

Alan Tracey:
Alan Tracy.jpg

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Well, I like him and I like Bournemouth too.
Lived there for three years in the early ‘70’s and used to watch them when I wasn’t driving back to the Goldstone to watch the Albion.
I can remember Bertie Lutton’s equaliser at the old Dean Court back in 1972……happy days.

Jaxie

Dec 2, 2018
Far East (Sussex)
I think posssssssibly there's something about some English managers that we recognise enough from other people we encounter that means we assume things and dislike them for things that if they were exotically named non-English people we'd not be bothered about because we've got less to put our preconceptions onto. It's especially true when, unlike Big Sam, they don't have a particularly obvious personality so we can project as much as we want onto them.

So Gareth Southgate for example definitely has traits I can't put my finger on but he's the over-enthusiastic new boy at college everyone is nice to but tries to avoid. He comes to the big night out and he's nice enough and everyone likes him but also everyone's waiting for him to go home so the fun can start.

Graham Potter is the bloke at work who seems to know a little bit about everything and it takes us all 2 years to work out he's just been using talk as a substitute for action, and strip that away and there's not much left. Everyone suspects the passive-aggressive notes in the fridge are from him but he never owns up to it. And he never makes a round of tea.

Eddie Howe is the account manager who takes everything very seriously, even having fun. He plays a lot of tennis and golf (always wearing carefully co-ordinated and correct clothing for both of those sports) but doesn't seem to enjoy them and every conversation with him feels like a job interview. He took his team out for drinks once and after an orange juice went home. He doesn't own a car because it's a depreciating asset and he doesn't see the point of those.
I think posssssssibly there's something about some English managers that we recognise enough from other people we encounter that means we assume things and dislike them for things that if they were exotically named non-English people we'd not be bothered about because we've got less to put our preconceptions onto. It's especially true when, unlike Big Sam, they don't have a particularly obvious personality so we can project as much as we want onto them.

So Gareth Southgate for example definitely has traits I can't put my finger on but he's the over-enthusiastic new boy at college everyone is nice to but tries to avoid. He comes to the big night out and he's nice enough and everyone likes him but also everyone's waiting for him to go home so the fun can start.

Graham Potter is the bloke at work who seems to know a little bit about everything and it takes us all 2 years to work out he's just been using talk as a substitute for action, and strip that away and there's not much left. Everyone suspects the passive-aggressive notes in the fridge are from him but he never owns up to it. And he never makes a round of tea.

Eddie Howe is the account manager who takes everything very seriously, even having fun. He plays a lot of tennis and golf (always wearing carefully co-ordinated and correct clothing for both of those sports) but doesn't seem to enjoy them and every conversation with him feels like a job interview. He took his team out for drinks once and after an orange juice went home. He doesn't own a car because it's a depreciating asset and he doesn't see the point of those.
That last line is superb 😁

Incidentally, he is annoying isn’t he? And I’m not quite sure why either!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Horner = the smuggest bastard in sport. Howe is very smug but he doesn't even come close to the Red Bull boss. Not far behind him is Verstappen, an arrogant twat.

Horner’s hypocrisy at every turn is astonishing and he believes his own lies. Irrationally smelling FIA or rivals cheating at every turn, whilst his team over spent. No surprise …. I just checked …. he went to an elite public school.

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022
For me it stems back to when he stamped on Tommy Fraser at Withdean whilst playing for Bmuff,at least I think it was him

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well, I like him and I like Bournemouth too.
Lived there for three years in the early ‘70’s and used to watch them when I wasn’t driving back to the Goldstone to watch the Albion.
I can remember Bertie Lutton’s equaliser at the old Dean Court back in 1972……happy days.
If ever I needed confirmation of my suspicions that you're a wrong'un :wink:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I love an irrational hatred.

I have similar with Will Ferrell.

Well, I say irrational. It’s his thick, porcine, skin and pubey hair that makes me loathe him.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I hope he grows on you as he's the only realistic manager to replace Southgate...... I don't mind him and he's a good coach (it's a shame he's at Newcastle though).

As for Tindall - early doors at the Amex when 3 of us were queuing up for our bus outside Withdean he pulled up in his Merc because his "satnav has taken me here, where's the new ground, I'm running late?" :LOL:* He gave us a lift to the Amex following our directions (it would have been fun but biting our nose off to take him elsewhere), seemed an ok bloke tbf and he didn't startle me because he hadn't had his teeth done back then. * I think it was the unsuccessful spell the duo had at Burnley.

I like to see British and Irish managers do well, call me old skool.

edit - I do have a hatred of Bruno F but there's nothing irrational about it.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Didn't actually used to mind him, there is no denying he did superb at Bournemouth.

But when the Saudi's arrived he should have walked, he didn't.
Even worse, the Saudis sacked Steve Bruce, so Eddie Howe chose to go there.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As I've said numerous times before, we don't like him because we can't beat him!
When we win against some one more often than not, they become irrelevant. Villa, however......they're just an annoying wasp at a picnic
I have never understood the loathing of Howe. Good manager, calm demeanor.

Now, this is what I call a f***ing ****:

1693389338982.png

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Does anybody else have a completely irrational hatred of the super-glum Newcastle boss?

I'm 53 and I've never really experienced this before.

Will it go away?
Yes, ditto and no.

It is irrational- partly. But the smugness comes across as ‘real’ ..and is unwarranted imo.

The Saudi executioners will soon get rid of him if he has a run of loosing games with other Big 7 clubs - despite a good last season they will be looking to get a Big Named Manager in at some point I reckon (which Howe is not) to further their plans to accumulate silver. Defeats at Manchester City and against a 10-man Liverpool side wouldn‘t have been an auspicious start in their eyes.

I even would rather loose to Palace and beat the Toons this season if it were a forced choice - that’s how much I would like to wipe that smug smile off his face but hopefully the Saudis will realise he’s only the Great Pretender in their plans to conquer world football…

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I love an irrational hatred.

I have similar with Will Ferrell.

Well, I say irrational. It’s his thick, porcine, skin and pubey hair that makes me loathe him.
I feel like that about Steve Cooper - ok manager but fc*k is he not a peach to look at!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here