Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] My Irrational Hatred of Beheady Howe

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think posssssssibly there's something about some English managers that we recognise enough from other people we encounter that means we assume things and dislike them for things that if they were exotically named non-English people we'd not be bothered about because we've got less to put our preconceptions onto. It's especially true when, unlike Big Sam, they don't have a particularly obvious personality so we can project as much as we want onto them.

So Gareth Southgate for example definitely has traits I can't put my finger on but he's the over-enthusiastic new boy at college everyone is nice to but tries to avoid. He comes to the big night out and he's nice enough and everyone likes him but also everyone's waiting for him to go home so the fun can start.

Graham Potter is the bloke at work who seems to know a little bit about everything and it takes us all 2 years to work out he's just been using talk as a substitute for action, and strip that away and there's not much left. Everyone suspects the passive-aggressive notes in the fridge are from him but he never owns up to it. And he never makes a round of tea.

Eddie Howe is the account manager who takes everything very seriously, even having fun. He plays a lot of tennis and golf (always wearing carefully co-ordinated and correct clothing for both of those sports) but doesn't seem to enjoy them and every conversation with him feels like a job interview. He took his team out for drinks once and after an orange juice went home. He doesn't own a car because it's a depreciating asset and he doesn't see the point of those.
I need an update on Arteta please :smile:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
He has the look of a manager who has just realised that replicating last season form, isn’t going to be as easy as he originally thought.
On Guardian Football Weekly towards the beginning of the season, they were (half-jokingly) talking about how this season's rule changes were made with Newcastle in mind -- cracking down on timewasting and disruptive tactics, ejecting his perma-present smug sidekick from the 'managers zone', and so on.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
As I've said numerous times before, we don't like him because we can't beat him!
When we win against some one more often than not, they become irrelevant. Villa, however......they're just an annoying wasp at a picnic
Well. . . . I learned a few years ago that if you ignore wasps ( as opposed to trapping them in an upturned glass and blowing fag smoke into it) they just go away, they're after sugar. . . Nothing more.

I think the oily one and his arsetownvanilla outfit will be found out this season too.

Coxovi

NSC Patron
Nov 5, 2011
Suisse
Well. . . . I learned a few years ago that if you ignore wasps ( as opposed to trapping them in an upturned glass and blowing fag smoke into it) they just go away, they're after sugar. . . Nothing more.

I think the oily one and his arsetownvanilla outfit will be found out this season too.
I love the practicality of the wasp metaphor, so NSC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here