Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] My Irrational Hatred of Beheady Howe

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
He really reminds me of Perfect Peter from Horrid Henry, which I find quite annoying.

download (1).jpeg

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I think posssssssibly there's something about some English managers that we recognise enough from other people we encounter that means we assume things and dislike them for things that if they were exotically named non-English people we'd not be bothered about because we've got less to put our preconceptions onto. It's especially true when, unlike Big Sam, they don't have a particularly obvious personality so we can project as much as we want onto them.

So Gareth Southgate for example definitely has traits I can't put my finger on but he's the over-enthusiastic new boy at college everyone is nice to but tries to avoid. He comes to the big night out and he's nice enough and everyone likes him but also everyone's waiting for him to go home so the fun can start.

Graham Potter is the bloke at work who seems to know a little bit about everything and it takes us all 2 years to work out he's just been using talk as a substitute for action, and strip that away and there's not much left. Everyone suspects the passive-aggressive notes in the fridge are from him but he never owns up to it. And he never makes a round of tea.

Eddie Howe is the account manager who takes everything very seriously, even having fun. He plays a lot of tennis and golf (always wearing carefully co-ordinated and correct clothing for both of those sports) but doesn't seem to enjoy them and every conversation with him feels like a job interview. He took his team out for drinks once and after an orange juice went home. He doesn't own a car because it's a depreciating asset and he doesn't see the point of those.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I am livid that sky sports didn't show a close up of smug's face when he second goal went in - and then stayed on it.
The goal was a carbon copy of the first one - we didn't need to see replays of that - just a long lingering look at a crushed and bitter man..........

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Eddie Howe is the account manager who takes everything very seriously, even having fun. He plays a lot of tennis and golf (always wearing carefully co-ordinated and correct clothing for both of those sports) but doesn't seem to enjoy them and every conversation with him feels like a job interview. He took his team out for drinks once and after an orange juice went home. He doesn't own a car because it's a depreciating asset and he doesn't see the point of those.
I can't ever see him having fun though. He seems so humourless.

As you might well be having a murderous and brutal regime watching your every move.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
It's hard to place why he's irritating. I think there was always something slightly false about his friendly persona. Newcastle is probably showing him in a slightly different light. As for Tindall....
Don't me started on him. He's just as bad, if not worse.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Yes, I have the same irrational dislike of him, he is just coming across as a smug tw@t who has some sort of voodoo over us. I cannot put a finger on why, but I did celebrate the second goal by Liverpool yesterday by sticking two fingers up at the TV in a gleeful way when they put his face on TV.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
As I've said numerous times before, we don't like him because we can't beat him!
When we win against some one more often than not, they become irrelevant. Villa, however......they're just an annoying wasp at a picnic
It's not that, it really isn't. He's so, I dunno, unlikeable.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

I was with you until the car. Eddie Howe the Account Manager would definitely drive an Audi TT. Possibly leather interior.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I was with you until the car. Eddie Howe the Account Manager would definitely drive an Audi TT. Possibly leather interior.
You might be right. A company car that he's worked out a tax efficient way of getting. He's also worked out the exact point at which the efficiency of the car is lessened by the weight of the fuel he puts in and scrupulously keeps it under that level. He once reached 65mph on the motorway just outside Derby and the thrill of it still makes him smile, but only if no-one is watching.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
You might be right. A company car that he's worked out a tax efficient way of getting. He's also worked out the exact point at which the efficiency of the car is lessened by the weight of the fuel he puts in and scrupulously keeps it under that level. He once reached 65mph on the motorway just outside Derby and the thrill of it still makes him smile, but only if no-one is watching.

And he cleans it with fastidious religiosity every Sunday before watching the Grand Prix on his 62-inch TV. Definitely got a personalised plate on it too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here