Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moving to NEWHAVEN

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The French won the first round but the locals fought back and had it classified as a village green. Now the French are going to take it to the Supreme Court and threaten to move out of Newhaven completely if they lose.

Eh. What on earth do you mean? Sorry if I'm being dim, but how is a beach classed as a village green and moreover, what on earth have the French got to do with it? Newhaven was in England last time I checked.

meeching gull

Sep 18, 2010
Boat Alley
No, The Bridge pub has recently been sold, and the person that told me Harvey's have bought it is on here, I am sure he is telling the truth.

I've heard they have pulled out and put The Bridge back up for sale
Its a shame but 3 pubs in the town centre is not needed at the
moment

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Eh. What on earth do you mean? Sorry if I'm being dim, but how is a beach classed as a village green and moreover, what on earth have the French got to do with it? Newhaven was in England last time I checked.

The local campaign is based on the argument that a public open space is effectively a village green. It's a clever interpretation of the law.

Sadly that I think that beach was where the young lad was killed in the storms a month or two ago.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We spent many happy days on the beach and exploring round and about. The only sandy beaches were Newhaven in the east and Littlehampton in the west. And Newhaven was closest to Rottingdean.

I went down there a few years back and it was a sorry state. All of the buildings which housed the cafe/shop, amusement arcade (and a museum?) had been removed and the beach was fenced off and there was a huge oil rig looking thing parked up in the bay.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Sadly that I think that beach was where the young lad was killed in the storms a month or two ago.

No, the boy was the other side of the breakwater, on the stony beach.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
No, the boy was the other side of the breakwater, on the stony beach.

Thanks for clarifying. It doesn't make the case any less tragic wherever it happened, but I could imagine the incident being dragged into the argument with the French owners had it happened on the other beach.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The Museum moved to Paradise Park by the way, next door to the dinosaur house.

Maverick

Jun 1, 2011
I am an estate agent in Newhaven and can I say that prices have gone up purely because of the lack of stock. Once more comes on into the new year I am fully expecting them to drop slightly. To be honest as a first time buyer I think Newhaven is a great place to buy, the prices are lower than anywhere else locally and in my opinion when the proposed development work goes ahead on the East side of the river prices will start to creep up again. This is backed up by the fact that a lot of investors are currently buying though us. Good luck.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Seaford has enough sand to fill a bucket.
xd8j.jpg

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
You'll get to visit Newhaven Fort... managed by the lovely Mrs Gripper.

Seriously I have lived in Denton, Newhaven and Seaford all my life and like it. It's alright!

I was there earlier this year, it was incredibly interesting but also incredibly cold as we were there at the tail end of winter. Not a heater anywhere in sight!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The French won the first round but the locals fought back and had it classified as a village green. Now the French are going to take it to the Supreme Court and threaten to move out of Newhaven completely if they lose.

They threatened to pull out earlier this year and cancel all the ferries but then backed down. It gets me because they wouldn't allow Dieppe to look as shabby as Newhaven dock.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here