Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moving to NEWHAVEN

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
We'll this is a nice surprise good people of NSC, I have just got in from a hard days graft to find a thread about Newhaven with plenty of positive posts.
I have lived here since 2001 and moved here from Seaford, but I was born and spent most of my life in Brighton.
The house prices are good value for money compared to Brighton.

Notters if you need any questions answered please feel free to ask.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I shall watch this thread with interest. My girlfriend and I are in a very similar position.

Could have bought a 4 bed house in Newhaven for less than we paid for a 2 bed flat in Lewes. Was 12 years ago mind so I have no idea how prices compare now.

The area around Valley Drive doesn't look bad. I was there last week on a job and the thought of looking into house prices for that area crossed my mind.

I'd be interested in this thread too.

If you live in that area, maybe you could give us a clue about property values for the area please?

Both of you please feel free to ask any about the town and property, I am not an expert on property but I do keep an eye on houses for sale in the area.

tedlit

Nov 18, 2006
Scotland (just)
Lived in Newhaven from 1999-2006. Biggest problem IMO is still traffic, but if you're on the train/bus to work you won't have problems.

I lived off Valley Drive for a while (convenient, clean, cheap, mostly huge houses on odd/tiny plots) and bought a new place up by Tideway in 2002. Easily the most peaceful place I've ever lived, though the walk back up the hill from anything resembling a decent pub (the Sheffield, natch) did get a little tiresome eventually...!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I guess property prices are so much better in Newhaven because it has less appeal to many, so there isn't the same demand - as say in neighbouring Seaford. Maybe that's just as well as there has to be somewhere affordable for everyone. If it was a bit more attractive the property prices would less favourable.

However I do think it is a pity that Newhaven isn't a more happening place and for example cannot understand why Norman Baker hasn't been more dynamic in seeking investment and regeneration there. For many years the well being of the port seemed to depend more on how the French saw it as a priority, rather than the investors and politicians this side of the Channel.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Lived in Newhaven from 1999-2006. Biggest problem IMO is still traffic, but if you're on the train/bus to work you won't have problems.

I lived off Valley Drive for a while (convenient, clean, cheap, mostly huge houses on odd/tiny plots) and bought a new place up by Tideway in 2002. Easily the most peaceful place I've ever lived, though the walk back up the hill from anything resembling a decent pub (the Sheffield, natch) did get a little tiresome eventually...!

We haven't got a Valley Drive in Newhaven.

The traffic is not great at times, the person that designed the one way system I am sure is not a driver!

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
3 bedroom end terrace house £175K. 3 bed semi detached approx £190K. Check out Lampons or Phillip Mann.

Blimey, the prices have risen. You can get houses in Lewes for that kinda dosh these days and no, not in a crap area either!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Blimey, the prices have risen. You can get houses in Lewes for that kinda dosh these days and no, not in a crap area either!

Show me one and I'll buy it! I've seen one-bed flats in Lewes for £200k+ The CHEAPEST house in Lewes at the mo is £235k

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Valley Drive, Valley Road... same difference. I forget the other one's in Seaford. :)

Hello,

I presume that you need to be in the Brighton/Newhaven area - perhaps for work? -but the cheapest area in Sussex is probably Hastings, and this is not meant in any way unkindly, as you certainly get more for your money there. The approach roads are not brilliant, as the A259 can get clogged up, and some parts of the town are not too smart, though that is probably the case in any built-up area. However, the Old Town is a real jewel in the crown as is the nearby Country Park to Fairlight.The train will get you to the Amex and a few matches ago, the return journey to Lewes (bearing in mind the travel zone) was just £7.00 as there were four of us. (Digressing slightly - apparently you get a group discount with 4 or more going to the same destination -do all fans know about this?) Worth considering if you do not need to be in BN1 etc.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Show me one and I'll buy it! I've seen one-bed flats in Lewes for £200k.

About 6 months ago there was a 3 bed end of terrace in Meridian Road, Lewes available at 185k... I nearly went for it but finances aren't great at mo. I need to do some work on my place before I can put it up for sale.

My place is a 2 bed flat and probs worth max 140K

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Hello,

I presume that you need to be in the Brighton/Newhaven area - perhaps for work? -but the cheapest area in Sussex is probably Hastings, and this is not meant in any way unkindly, as you certainly get more for your money there. The approach roads are not brilliant, as the A259 can get clogged up, and some parts of the town are not too smart, though that is probably the case in any built-up area. However, the Old Town is a real jewel in the crown as is the nearby Country Park to Fairlight.The train will get you to the Amex and a few matches ago, the return journey to Lewes (bearing in mind the travel zone) was just £7.00 as there were four of us. (Digressing slightly - apparently you get a group discount with 4 or more going to the same destination -do all fans know about this?) Worth considering if you do not need to be in BN1 etc.

There's no way in hell I'll be moving to Hastings!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The traffic is not great at times, the person that designed the one way system I am sure is not a driver!

I am a close personal friend of the person who designed Newhaven's one way system. I can assure you, he is a driver. He was probably focussing on the remit of clearing the constant congestion the high street used to offer. In that sense, he did remarkably well as even now that the traffic volume is so much greater than when it was implemented, one can fairly breeze though the town without much of a thought. Unfortunately the new road has ripped the heart out of the town imo, which is a great shame. Perhaps he didn't mind too much as he lived in Seaford at the time?

tedlit

Nov 18, 2006
Scotland (just)
Sorry I was confused as you also said huge houses, Valley Road in Newhaven is mostly bungalows and small houses.

I lived in a terraced house on Fullwood Avenue - for those that don't know, these are almost all three floors and 3/4 bedrooms. If they've had the garage knocked through, they can be five. Only drawback is lots and lots of stairs... :)

For my part.. we moved back to Sussex (Uckfield) as that was all we could afford and we commuted to London daily... and the train was *never* full. Once we both switched to working in the middle of Brighton, Newhaven seemed like a good choice - esp. as the coast road buses were pretty decent then.

Newhaven certainly doesn't deserve the rep it gets - I prefer it to Seaford, but OTOH at least Seaford has a beach you can actually *use*. We never had any problems with the schools in Newhaven, although we only ever used the primary. The doctors, on the other hand, was another matter. :/

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
About 6 months ago there was a 3 bed end of terrace in Meridian Road, Lewes available at 185k... I nearly went for it but finances aren't great at mo. I need to do some work on my place before I can put it up for sale.

My place is a 2 bed flat and probs worth max 140K

Prices have shot up again in the last few months.

tedlit

Nov 18, 2006
Scotland (just)
I am a close personal friend of the person who designed Newhaven's one way system. I can assure you, he is a driver. He was probably focussing on the remit of clearing the constant congestion the high street used to offer. In that sense, he did remarkably well as even now that the traffic volume is so much greater than when it was implemented, one can fairly breeze though the town without much of a thought. Unfortunately the new road has ripped the heart out of the town imo, which is a great shame. Perhaps he didn't mind too much as he lived in Seaford at the time?

IMO.. this is really interesting. The one-way system didn't stack up at rush hour so badly before they re-striped the lanes where Bridge St joins it.. it'd be a lot better if it was genuinely two-lane the whole way round and people learned how to merge into traffic properly. Blocking most of the turns off of Brighton Road probably didn't help much either. That said.. the only proposal I'm aware of that actually wouldn't have killed the town centre was shifting the whole A259 north to a fixed bridge over the river.. right about where the incinerator is now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here