Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moving to NEWHAVEN

Jan 30, 2008
about 6 months ago there was a 3 bed end of terrace in meridian road, lewes available at 185k... I nearly went for it but finances aren't great at mo. I need to do some work on my place before i can put it up for sale.

My place is a 2 bed flat and probs worth max 140k
landport............... Wouldn't have been heard of years back all the tree huggers are starting to move into the estate :whistle:
regards
DR

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
IMO.. this is really interesting. The one-way system didn't stack up at rush hour so badly before they re-striped the lanes where Bridge St joins it.. it'd be a lot better if it was genuinely two-lane the whole way round and people learned how to merge into traffic properly. Blocking most of the turns off of Brighton Road probably didn't help much either. That said.. the only proposal I'm aware of that actually wouldn't have killed the town centre was shifting the whole A259 north to a fixed bridge over the river.. right about where the incinerator is now.

I can't remember when the one way system was instated. Was it the early 80's?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
There's no way in hell I'll be moving to Hastings!

Did you mean ; thanks for taking the trouble to respond to me plea for advice and your help which was appreciated. Unfortunately, I don't think that I would like Hastings but thanks all the same?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Mid 70s... I think?

I remember talking to my friend about it a few times long after it had been built. As far as I remember, the options were pretty much as you describe with severe limitation on what could be changed. I challenged him about the effect of the road on the town, but I think he pretty much didn't have any other choice.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I am a close personal friend of the person who designed Newhaven's one way system. I can assure you, he is a driver. He was probably focussing on the remit of clearing the constant congestion the high street used to offer. In that sense, he did remarkably well as even now that the traffic volume is so much greater than when it was implemented, one can fairly breeze though the town without much of a thought. Unfortunately the new road has ripped the heart out of the town imo, which is a great shame. Perhaps he didn't mind too much as he lived in Seaford at the time?

Lucky i didnt say what i was really thinking then!!

Im not sure if your friend designed the current changes to the one way system, the right turn into Bridge Street has its own lane, loads of people use this lane to get onto the ring road rather than turning into Bridge St, cutting up other drivers.
There is also too many pedestrian crossings too close together, including one directly above a pedestrian underpass.

Jan 30, 2008
lucky i didnt say what i was really thinking then!!

Im not sure if your friend designed the current changes to the one way system, the right turn into bridge street has its own lane, loads of people use this lane to get onto the ring road rather than turning into bridge st, cutting up other drivers.
There is also too many pedestrian crossings too close together, including one directly above a pedestrian underpass.
could be confusing when you're pissed :)
regards
DR

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
I think if you are thinking of getting on the property Ladder..

Then you should be quick mate because houses in south-east are rising fast and properties will soon be out of reach!

Had valuation 2 weeks ago on a 3 bed townhouse in Langley point, eastbourne £245,000 and paid £175,000 in 2009 ( spent £20,000 doing it up ) ,
I wanted to move near a23 for my commute but I couldn't get the mortage required.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Lucky i didnt say what i was really thinking then!!

Im not sure if your friend designed the current changes to the one way system, the right turn into Bridge Street has its own lane, loads of people use this lane to get onto the ring road rather than turning into Bridge St, cutting up other drivers.

He worked on the original design for the one way system. Any changes since would not have been of his making. For what it's worth, and at the risk of repeating myself, I wish that some other way had been found to ease the congestion as Newhaven was always quite a bustling place when I was a lad (and I say that as an ex Seafordian!).

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I like Newhaven, doesn't deserve the rep it's got IMHO

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was raised in Newhaven and have fond memories of the town. It served me well. I left at the end of the 80s.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Did you mean ; thanks for taking the trouble to respond to me plea for advice and your help which was appreciated. Unfortunately, I don't think that I would like Hastings but thanks all the same?

:) That's precisely what I meant! No offence intended. I know Hastings well, half of my family live/lived there. I don't mind the place but it's far too isolated for me. The drive to anywhere else is a pain and the train to London is slow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here