Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moving to NEWHAVEN

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I also have a weird fondness for Newhaven, probably based on the notion of what I think the town once was, and also what it could be.

There has been some interesting development there and there is the opportunity to do a lot more. Unfortunately the imagination of planners and developers seems to extend to a new Asda or Tesco and not much else. Maybe the wind farm project will lead to some more regeneration - I certainly hope so.

Unfortunately the biggest challenge is how to give the town a proper hub, and the A259 ring road isn't going to go away. So you're left with a town without a proper focal point, and a lack of identity. Which is a shame, because with a large amount of money and a bit of imagination, I reckon you could transform Newhaven into something quite special.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I'm also v interested in this. Just moved back from Gibraltar and am looking at property between and including Worthing and Seaford. Property prices in Brighton and Hove appear to be absurd.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't blame you for getting angry, but I would not put all the blame on Investors, in my opinion estate agents have a lot to answer for, they want to get the highest price so they get more in commission / fees, which is understandable I suppose, as the world we live in, everyone wants "Top Dollar" for pretty much everything.
To be honest, it's nothing to do with estate agents. They don't want to get a high price sale for larger commission, they want a sale - period. They get paid when houses get sold, and it makes little difference to them if the price is 5% higher. They recommend high prices to home owners simply because they want to get the business, and when home owners hear a silly high price, they go with that agent.

The reason prices are high here, is because it's a very popular place to live, and there is a shortage of properties. It's not rocket science.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I don't know whether you're just saying that because you know how fond I am of Harveys but if true then that's me sold!

No, The Bridge pub has recently been sold, and the person that told me Harvey's have bought it is on here, I am sure he is telling the truth.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I also have a weird fondness for Newhaven, probably based on the notion of what I think the town once was, and also what it could be.

There has been some interesting development there and there is the opportunity to do a lot more. Unfortunately the imagination of planners and developers seems to extend to a new Asda or Tesco and not much else. Maybe the wind farm project will lead to some more regeneration - I certainly hope so.

Unfortunately the biggest challenge is how to give the town a proper hub, and the A259 ring road isn't going to go away. So you're left with a town without a proper focal point, and a lack of identity. Which is a shame, because with a large amount of money and a bit of imagination, I reckon you could transform Newhaven into something quite special.

We're still fighting to get our beach back.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Hi All,

I know this has been covered on here before... But it seems that it has got the point that, house-price-wise, the only place within 15 miles of Brighton that young first time buyers can now reasonably afford to buy is Newhaven. We are now considering it seriously.

It will be a shock to the system, having lived in Brighton for 10 years, but what do those who live there now think of it? I know that @Muhammed 'im hard' Bruce Lee is delighted with the KFC there, and I am a big fan of the Colonel! I just keep dwelling on, and getting angry about the high house prices in Brighton caused by property "investors"...

All thoughts appreciated!

If you stick to looking for a place in the Gibbon road area which is the posh part by the way you will be fine

Oct 25, 2003
i don't mind the sound of seaford, but as for newhaven, it's between that and Kabul....both are on par with each other....

imagine being from Dieppe...fancy a holiday to Newhaven? Non, merci!!!

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Good thread, and not yet hijacked by posters looking down their noses from their 4 bedroom house in five ways they bought for 38k in 1986 either!

Moved to Seaford 4 years ago after renting flats and houses from kemptown to poets corner in Hove. The cost of housing pushed us out there, seeing as I grew up in Telscombe Cliffs I knew E Sussex better, but know a lot of young families head out towards Southwick, Worthing and beyond in search of an affordable roof.

I've really noticed in the 4 years I've lived here thst It's definitely getting younger, I live on a new development and most of my neighbours are young professionals and young families that have moved from Brighton.

The shopping and distance have all been covered by other posters, I guess it depends what sort of a human you are but I love living in Seaford. It's small enough to feel villagy, the seafront is beautiful and seven sisters and friston forest are 5 mins away for a long walk to wear the kids (or dog!) out.

I'm as perplexed as anyone about Newhaven. It's connected by road, rail and sea, it has a huge harbour ready to reinvent and develop, there are acres of land around it to develop too. On paper it should be a real jewel in the crown on the sussex coast but It's not quite made it.

I may be mistaken, but my understanding is two regeneration bids went in, one from Tesco to rebuild the harbour and one from Asda to build lots of homes in the shadow of the incinerator, guess which won?

In a nutshell, if you're thinking of heading east, I would wholly recommend it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good thread, and not yet hijacked by posters looking down their noses from their 4 bedroom house in five ways they bought for 38k in 1986 either!

Moved to Seaford 4 years ago after renting flats and houses from kemptown to poets corner in Hove. The cost of housing pushed us out there, seeing as I grew up in Telscombe Cliffs I knew E Sussex better, but know a lot of young families head out towards Southwick, Worthing and beyond in search of an affordable roof.

I've really noticed in the 4 years I've lived here thst It's definitely getting younger, I live on a new development and most of my neighbours are young professionals and young families that have moved from Brighton.

The shopping and distance have all been covered by other posters, I guess it depends what sort of a human you are but I love living in Seaford. It's small enough to feel villagy, the seafront is beautiful and seven sisters and friston forest are 5 mins away for a long walk to wear the kids (or dog!) out.

I'm as perplexed as anyone about Newhaven. It's connected by road, rail and sea, it has a huge harbour ready to reinvent and develop, there are acres of land around it to develop too. On paper it should be a real jewel in the crown on the sussex coast but It's not quite made it.

I may be mistaken, but my understanding is two regeneration bids went in, one from Tesco to rebuild the harbour and one from Asda to build lots of homes in the shadow of the incinerator, guess which won?

In a nutshell, if you're thinking of heading east, I would wholly recommend it.

Ignoring the incinerator.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We're still fighting to get our beach back.

What is the latest with this? I spent many summers on that beach. It's a crime that it is shut down.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I guess it depends what sort of a human you are but I love living in Seaford. It's small enough to feel villagy, the seafront is beautiful and seven sisters and friston forest are 5 mins away for a long walk to wear the kids (or dog!) out.
, if you're thinking of heading east, I would wholly recommend

I grew up in Seaford and still love it. I agree with your comments, but it's not for those who prefer a more lively place.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
To be honest, it's nothing to do with estate agents. They don't want to get a high price sale for larger commission, they want a sale - period. They get paid when houses get sold, and it makes little difference to them if the price is 5% higher. They recommend high prices to home owners simply because they want to get the business, and when home owners hear a silly high price, they go with that agent.

The reason prices are high here, is because it's a very popular place to live, and there is a shortage of properties. It's not rocket science.

With the shortage of properties it also means that the vendor will get the full asking price or more.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
What is the latest with this? I spent many summers on that beach. It's a crime that it is shut down.

The French won the first round but the locals fought back and had it classified as a village green. Now the French are going to take it to the Supreme Court and threaten to move out of Newhaven completely if they lose.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here