Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Micky Adams back as manager

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Intereesting e mail from Teamtalk, who are nearly always behind on the news, that MA is to hacve another look at the players contracts, of those that have been released and retained. Sit appears that he was not involved in the contract talks with DK.

The football last year was decent in places, and the home record was very good. Its the place that people have had enough of. 3 months into next season, if we're outside the top 6, crowds will be no different to this year.

The football at times last season was also diabolical and generally inconsistent. Crowds of 4000, a suspected downturn in Season Ticket sales and other factors (of which I have no knowledge of whatsoever) led the Board of Directors to take drastic action.

The appointment of Micky Adams has, in part, achieved what the club has been looking for: some excitement at the time that season ticket sales are vital to the club so job done there. Whether it is the right move by appointing Adams we'll find out in a few months. In the meantime, people who would normally drift off into the summer are still around talking about and generating interest in The Albion so, again, job done.

As for your crowd predictions for three months into the season-what would they have been like with Wilkins still in charge if, as we all suspect, renewals were way below target and the team was putting in 'Port Vale' performances? At least we can expect ST sales to be better than they would have been giving us something to build on next campaign .

Something radical had to be done to stop the decline in ST sales and so far it appears to be having the desired effect. It's not magic.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Incredible stuff and did not see it coming!!!!

Im cheesed off however for DW who imo has made excellent progress and was looking forward to the next season??

I hope DW stays and forms a dream team of MA and DW taking us to the promised land of automatic promotion.

I als fear for DK, if this all goes wrong I think his position will unatainable and will have to walk!

Please the legend is back, fingers crossed this goes right!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Enormous sympathy for DW but feel MA can take us further forwards. My concern is that when MA was here before he built the team from outsiders. I can't recall him playing many of the youngsters.

I suspect Elphick, Lynch, Fraser, El Abd, Cox and Robinson (and Hinch) will be disappointed with the way DW has been treated so it will be critical that DW stays, otherwise there could be casualties. Elphick first?

Enormous sympathy for DW but feel MA can take us further forwards. My concern is that when MA was here before he built the team from outsiders. I can't recall him playing many of the youngsters.

Wasn't that simply because we didn't have any youngsters to bring in because the club had been run into the ground? I'm sure if there were any around and capable of playing-they'd have played.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Wasn't that simply because we didn't have any youngsters to bring in because the club had been run into the ground? I'm sure if there were any around and capable of playing-they'd have played.

yes, probably the case. My point was more about the 2nd part of my post - it is highly likely that there will be some kind of fall-out if Wilkins leaves.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
I respect what Wilkins has done under very difficult circumstances but I share the view that an experienced manager (plus funds) is required if we are to get out of this division.

Take the Swansea game last weekend Martinez was on the touchline throughout the game giving instructions making tactical alterations then one look at our dugout and everyone is just wandering around with clipboards.

With the further losses this week and to make Falmer sustainable we need to be playing Championship football so the board have gone with experience over sentiment.

It may or may not pay off but respect to them for having the foresight and conviction to go for this.

Hope Wilkins stays in the coaching role as he has proved this is where his strength lies

Pretty much sums things up for me, although I was intrigued to see if DW would develop into a long and successful tenant in The Albion 'hotseat'.

The decision has genuinely stunned me (as Finchley stated, the first truly stunning bit of news since Virgo's sale to Celtic out the blue for a comical amount of money) but now we have to wait and see if DK and the board's ballsy decision pays off.

Feel for DW though. Has had a tough break here but really hope he stays in the fold. He's an Albion man and has a huge amount to offer in the coaching of players.

Meantime, I guess it's: "Welcome home, Micky!"

(He has fought a promotion campaign at Leicester and a survival campaign at Cov since he left, btw, for those saying he's done diddely squat! I know his recent record has been mixed but he's a decent appointment overall.

Also, never go back? I'll raise you a Walter Smith, a Harry Redknapp and a Tony Pulis!

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
It's fascinating to se the diverse opinions on here. Some think it's a great move others think it's terrible.

Some think we should wait and ses before any knee-jerk reaction. That, in my opion is the right thing to do.

DK and the board don't make decisions like this for fun. If DW takes the coaching job then the club's wage bill will have a significant increase. Until and unless we hear more dretails about the reasons for this, we must assume that there were elements of the manager's job that didn't sit comfortably with Dean.

That wouldn't be a criticism, it can happen when someone takes on a role they have never had before. The board must have come to the conclusion that MA can provide the elements that DW doesn't have and that this, in their view, was essential to our future success.

I say again, decisons such as this are not made for fun. If Dean stays at the club we might not hear all the reasons and rightly so - it is a matter between him and his employers.

I really hope he does stay because MA obviously has a high opinion of him as a coach and the combination could be just what we need.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
What Goldstone said.

The long and the short of it is that with possibly one or two exceptions nobody on this board has any precise knowledge of what is or has been going on at the club over the last few months and why Dick has made this decision. We will all have our theories but that's all they will be, just theories.

Personally I very much hope Dean decides to stay even though his first thought could be to tell DK to stick his job. He clearly is an excellent coach, especially with younger players, and has done pretty well this year as manager. But it may well be that Adams being back will attract more investors. And even though I have a slight reservation I'm very glad he's back. If he and DW can work together it could be a dream team.

And for me, if DK has made this decision then I trust him. The decision may turn out to be wrong but I'm certain it has been made with the best interests of the club at heart. I can't believe the stick and abuse that he gets from some people on here who almost certainly don't know the full story.

The man is a fan first and Chairman second. And no, not every decision he makes turns out to be correct and no, he doesn't have megabucks. But we are lucky to have him.

:clap::clap::clap:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This man knows how to motivate football players,and organise a side, more than capable of getting out of this wretched division.
Unfortuneately for Dean,big decisions needed to be made regarding the fan base and apathy currently surrounding The Albion.The club cannot hang around one season longer,we need to 'Glam up'.
Sorry.No sentiment allowed!

oops

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
There will be a few people running for cover reading this.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
f*** ME. f*** ME. f*** ME!

Bizarrely, i'm a bit mixed here.
Wilkins gone - madness! We've done well, we've come a long way. However, his football is dull and ultimately we've not looked like a team who's going up (which is ultimately his goal, even if the chances are slim), playing for draws against big sides. To sack him though - well, it's a bit ridiculous really. That's not to say i'm DELIGHTED though...

Adams - an EXCITING manager, a bloody LIKEABLE one too. But they say never go back...Wilkins has just destroyed the squad, while having bought in some of HIS players.

Madness.

Exciting times though! :clap:

Exciting my arse. :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here