Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Meltdown at the Palace

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
If anybody watched match of the day on Saturday you could see that man united, who were beating reading to effectively seal the title, had essentially emptied their stands with around 5 minutes to go. It happens EVERYWHERE.

Old Trafford is well known for people leaving early, As you say happens at most grounds.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Old Trafford is well known for people leaving early, As you say happens at most grounds.

Blackburn is the one that really springs to mind, as the leavers all walk along the front of that little stand opposite the cameras, so it's very visible.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Exactly, I have been to grounds like Portsmouth, Bournemouth, Southampton, Watford, Ipswich, Leicester, Tottenham and West Ham and many more, that have taken up to an hour to get away from the area around the grounds. I really cannot see with the current crowds at the Amex, that getting away from there is any worse than the grounds listed.

I think too many fans have been spoilt by Withdean where if you lived locally you could be home in under 30 minutes from the final whistle. I am very happy with our current situation and tell me, what is so important on a regular basis that you have to get home for? Now and again you may have to leave early to attend a function and you might have to leave early and that is fully understandable.

Find the AMEX better than Withdean tbh - where due to where our seats were we were at the end of the bus queues and usually waited 25 - 40 mins for a bus after the 'last one' waiting had gone.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Blackburn is the one that really springs to mind, as the leavers all walk along the front of that little stand opposite the cameras, so it's very visible.

For some strange reason that stand always reminds me of the south stand at the withdean, not the people leaving early, but the little walkway bit between the stand and the pitch/Advertisment boards!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Exactly, I have been to grounds like Portsmouth, Bournemouth, Southampton, Watford, Ipswich, Leicester, Tottenham and West Ham and many more, that have taken up to an hour to get away from the area around the grounds. I really cannot see with the current crowds at the Amex, that getting away from there is any worse than the grounds listed.

I think too many fans have been spoilt by Withdean where if you lived locally you could be home in under 30 minutes from the final whistle. I am very happy with our current situation and tell me, what is so important on a regular basis that you have to get home for? Now and again you may have to leave early to attend a function and you might have to leave early and that is fully understandable.

What people also conveniently forget is that at other grounds, you might have a fifteen or twenty minute walk to the station. Southampton. Nottingham Forest. I think Bristol City is close to half an hour's walk from Temple Meads. Do people complain about that? You might then have to queue as well. At the Amex, it's two minutes to the station and then perhaps a twenty minute queue. Ultimately, the time taken to get away is little different.

Besides. I can remember queuing for at least half an hour to get on a train from the station at West Ham, for example. They had a HUGE line of barriers set up to manage queues. At Spurs you queue. Charlton. Millwall. Never been to Arsenal, but I'm willing to bet it can take time to get a Tube afterwards. Wembley can take forever. I've queued for trains at QPR and poxy Leyton Orient, for crying out loud. Has anybody, ever just slipped out of Selhurst and enjoyed a pleasant stroll to Norwood Junction before hopping straight on to a convenient train? Or were you slowly frogmarched in a massive group, held for thirty minutes outside the station, and then after waiting for half an hour, instructed unequivocally to get on to a train that wasn't going to your destination, simply because you were an Albion fan?

The train moans are rubbish. Half an hour after our games, that station is more or less clear.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
For some strange reason that stand always reminds me of the south stand at the withdean, not the people leaving early, but the little walkway bit between the stand and the pitch/Advertisment boards!

I believe it was known as "the running track" :thumbsup:

Murry

Banned
Nov 29, 2012
If anybody watched match of the day on Saturday you could see that man united, who were beating reading to effectively seal the title, had essentially emptied their stands with around 5 minutes to go. It happens EVERYWHERE.

3 nil up versus your rivals and thousands leaving from 80 mins on. Not having a dig just saying I was surprised.

Yes it happens a lot at man ute and arsenal. Not many other clubs to this scale IMO. Not sure what roads are like to be fair but i left the ground 5 mins after the final whistle, walked back to station and was on a train to Brighton within minutes.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Parish clearly needs to be off all social media if he can't take 14 year olds hurling swear words at him, that's what social media was invented for. Was also quite amazed that he retweed the word 'c**t' without any censorship. Won't somebody please think of the children?

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Find the AMEX better than Withdean tbh - where due to where our seats were we were at the end of the bus queues and usually waited 25 - 40 mins for a bus after the 'last one' waiting had gone.

I legged it about 2-3 minutes before the final whistle, Our driver wanted to get going as he had to be home for dinner with the wife. :wrong: The old bill let us through their line so we could jump straight on the bus for the park and ride at Mill road. It's a fair distance from the ground but was organised well. Was back in the pub to drown my sorrows in Reigate by 15:00.

Decent night out had by all of us Saturday in Brighton as well.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
3 nil up versus your rivals and thousands leaving from 80 mins on. Not having a dig just saying I was surprised.

Yes it happens a lot at man ute and arsenal. Not many other clubs to this scale IMO. Not sure what roads are like to be fair but i left the ground 5 mins after the final whistle, walked back to station and was on a train to Brighton within minutes.

Don't worry about it. Your concern is touching, but comfort yourself that, in spite of the leavers, there were still more Albion fans inside that stadium celebrating at the final whistle than you've had at any home game this season.

I hate to do that, but you did ask for it :wink:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The old bill let us through their line so we could jump straight on the bus for the park and ride at Mill road. It's a fair distance from the ground but was organised well.

You see, there's the difference. Under no circumstances were the Met letting anybody through their line outside Selhurst, whether you wanted to get a train to London, Brighton, or walk to your home in Thornton Heath (I realise there probably aren't many Albion fans in Thornton Heath, luckily, but you know what I mean). This rule applied whether you were a gobby 19 year old Danny Dyer fan, or Mrs Miggins, 94 year old wheelchair-bound chairwoman of the Albion SAGA Supporters Club.

Murry

Banned
Nov 29, 2012
Yeah the police didn't treat us to bad to be fair. Apparently was a pain for palace fans drinking in the town centre pre match but certainly not as bad as the met police our with us and with you guys when you came to selhurst.

Murry

Banned
Nov 29, 2012
Don't worry about it. Your concern is touching, but comfort yourself that, in spite of the leavers, there were still more Albion fans inside that stadium celebrating at the final whistle than you've had at any home game this season.

I hate to do that, but you did ask for it :wink:

Fair enough. Just a shame they weren't there to support you when you were struggling mid table of league 1 playing at the withdean. That said I'm sure we will get a few thousand extra fans when we move grounds and all part of football

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
You see, there's the difference. Under no circumstances were the Met letting anybody through their line outside Selhurst, whether you wanted to get a train to London, Brighton, or walk to your home in Thornton Heath (I realise there probably aren't many Albion fans in Thornton Heath, luckily, but you know what I mean). This rule applied whether you were a gobby 19 year old Danny Dyer fan, or Mrs Miggins, 94 year old wheelchair-bound chairwoman of the Albion SAGA Supporters Club.

Yes completely agree, You will not find many Palace fans that have a good word to say about the MET and their match day policing at Palace. The kettling outside the ground and then forcing everyone down a side road just causes more issues. The Police were decent Sunday.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Fair enough. Just a shame they weren't there to support you when you were struggling mid table of league 1 playing at the withdean. That said I'm sure we will get a few thousand extra fans when we move grounds and all part of football

Twenty eight thousand would have been a bit cosy at Withdean, even if they did leave before the end.

Murry

Banned
Nov 29, 2012
Atmosphere point has to be sour grapes

Sour grapes?

I've just complimented your performance, ground, police and general organisation of your club. I even said the West stand sounds good when you sing albioooon. Not sour at all. As many of your own fans have said the atmosphere was not as good as it should have been.

Is the atmosphere at the Amex decent? Yes, especially for a new ground with many new supporters!
Is it like visiting galatasary? No

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here