Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Meltdown at the Palace

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Right. It's been a couple of days on now and time to post my views from
A palac perspective. :)

Firstly well done you 100% deserved the win. No excuses from me about the ref etc the best team won. You looked a much better unit than you have done the past few times we have played and now with Ulloa you have a genuine goal threat. I also thought Buckley was superb and took our left back to the cleaners. Your players we're really up for it too.

Atmosphere was for game was awful, from both sets of fans :(
Maybe due to Sunday kick off I dunno. We were loud for about 10 mins in first half you about 10 mins in second. also I was more impressed by the fans from the stand to the left of the away fans (west?), when they sing 'albiooooon' it sounds good. I can can honestly say I didn't hear the north stand until about 5 minutes to go.

As far as new grounds go I really like the Amex it's a bit different and like how close the fans are to the pitch. But I've never seen so many fans leave early when they are 3 up!!!

Anyway good luck for the rest of the season, if you play like that we'll probably see you in the play offs

Agree with everything you say EXCEPT the atmo bit. I guess it really depends on where you're sitting as WSU north end and WSU in general was rocking all game...

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Agree with everything you say EXCEPT the atmo bit. I guess it really depends on where you're sitting as WSU north end and WSU in general was rocking all game...

agree about the west stand

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Parrish really is an embarrassment to that club. Having his own account on the BBS (negative repped by myself on many occasions) and the whole Twitter thing. What a narcissistic prick.

May be stating the blindingly obvious but well done :lolol:
Clueless and classless embarrassment......!

Regarding atmosphere I have to say I thought it was electric although I can see that palace fans struggled to get behind their team given their pretty abject display. Still I thought they were loud at times in the first half and loved the "thanks for thirty goals" ditty.....fair play! The sound at the Amex depends rather where you sit. From south and east you get a good wall of noise from the west stand but from the west middle, for example, you lose the top tier of the west stand completely. The north stand sound good from both sides but maybe if you are in the south and singing for your own team you dont hear them so well?
Fans will always leave he Amex early - it is a factor of where we had to build the stadium and transport links. No good moaning about it.

Last edited:

Rabeen

Jul 11, 2003
Worthing
Great post - none of this is getting old, it may never do. 25 years to win at home is a long time to wait. It won't be that long again.

The atmosphere question has always puzzled me as, like others where we are in the WSU it was great. I still have virtually no voice two days later. Palace were noisy briefly then, as anyone would be being thrashed by your rivals it all went very, very quiet.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
The atmosphere wasn't as good as it should have been from our point of view. Even with 5 minutes to go I think people were still nervous of us collapsing and throwing it away?! At times when everyone did sing it was great, but there were quite a few spells of quietness. The time didn't help either but overall I think nerves played a bigger part.

Palace fans were good up till the first goal and then nothing really for the rest of the match.

Williams was probably your best player first half (there weren't too many other candidates to be honest), so surprised and pleased he was taken off first half. Rate him far higher than Zaha. Phillips did nothing, the other striker that came on (forget his name), was rubbish and while I thought Palace probably shaded possession second half, I don't think they ever came close to testing Tommy K. The best effort for Palace was Upson's header first half. Zaha was his usual box of tricks and great close control, but only counted one decent pass at the end of it (when Parr was put through but shot straight at the keeper in the 1st half), so nothing has changed my mind on him. A few tantrums too which is always funny to see.

People leave the Amex from the 80th minute onwards whatever happens, until the transport waiting times reduce then that'll never change unfortunately.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Atmosphere point has to be sour grapes .

Players commented on the noise . From Wsu it was virtually non stop and looking the full lengths of the stand everyone was at it. Voice is still croaky . The north sounded good as well on the rare occasion the Wsu were not singing.

Palace loud 3 times but out sung and outplayed .

200 times better than selhurst including those muggy face painted ultra kids

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The atmosphere wasn't as good as it should have been from our point of view. Even with 5 minutes to go I think people were still nervous of us collapsing and throwing it away?! At times when everyone did sing it was great, but there were quite a few spells of quietness. The time didn't help either but overall I think nerves played a bigger part.

Palace fans were good up till the first goal and then nothing really for the rest of the match.

Williams was probably your best player first half (there weren't too many other candidates to be honest), so surprised and pleased he was taken off first half. Rate him far higher than Zaha. Phillips did nothing, the other striker that came on (forget his name), was rubbish and while I thought Palace probably shaded possession second half, I don't think they ever came close to testing Tommy K. The best effort for Palace was Upson's header first half. Zaha was his usual box of tricks and great close control, but only counted one decent pass at the end of it (when Parr was put through but shot straight at the keeper in the 1st half), so nothing has changed my mind on him. A few tantrums too which is always funny to see.

People leave the Amex from the 80th minute onwards whatever happens, until the transport waiting times reduce then that'll never change unfortunately.

Atmosphere was fine where i was.....still hoarse ....when we got that third...was game over

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
thought the north stand was very poor tbh,until the last 15mins,didnt hear them 1st half(usually do).
Maybe if you have a think about it, the whole ground was singing better than probably ever, is it a surprise that you cannot hear other stands singing if there is a noise from your own stand. Watching the extended highlights last night proved the NS was loud IMO.

But anyway I particulary enjoyed seeing the North End of WSU all up dancing just after the 3rd went in, not happened before, likewise the South East & West Lowers giving to the Palace fans. The pre match atmosphere was also the best since Doncaster as it was almost full 10 minutes before KO which made a really nice change.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
So many people leave the ground early due to the fact that there are so many there in the first place.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
what a most enjoyable read

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
It is the same now as it has ever been, there was always a stream of people leaving through Goldstone Lane into New town Red, we had a clear view from the North Stand.

It looks worse because there is one person to one seat, a thinning on the terraces was not noticeable in the way an empty seat is..... simple.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Great OP and loved the mid sussex video......'they don't like it up them Mr Mainwaring'....

Cheers. I'm in that. We'd all had about 10 pints and one of our members took over the DJ Decks, in Savannah's Bar, Haywards Heath. There were 2 Palace fans with us, and to be fair, they took it all in good stead. Great day. Great night.

Half Man Half Biscuit

Oct 10, 2003
Hove
Super post, [MENTION=21798]TheMajor[/MENTION]. Once again, that's 'Meltdown at the Palace'. You couldn't have written a better script for Sunday with the thick icing on a very tasty cake being their fans suffering the indignity of taking their shoes and socks off to wade through surface water to get to their special train. We've waited a long time to beat them at home, but you know, it really was worth it. I've subsequently spoken to a few Palace fans who were at the game, and even they acknowledged on the way home - whilst soaked to the skin - what pleasure we'd get from their thoroughly miserable day out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here