Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Meltdown at the Palace

Half Man Half Biscuit

Oct 10, 2003
Hove
Super post, [MENTION=21798]TheMajor[/MENTION]. Once again, that's 'Meltdown at the Palace'. You couldn't have written a better script for Sunday with the thick icing on a very tasty cake being their fans suffering the indignity of taking their shoes and socks off to wade through surface water to get to their special train. We've waited a long time to beat them at home, but you know, it really was worth it. I've subsequently spoken to a few Palace fans who were at the game, and even they acknowledged on the way home - whilst soaked to the skin - what pleasure we'd get from their thoroughly miserable day out.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Oh My Goodness – the Nigels have not taken the 3-0 defeat well have they.

It would appear that Steve Parish has got himself embroiled in a public slanging match on Twitter again with Palace fans as he had the downright cheek to congratulate us on our win. This has led to the rehashing of an old argument with certain fans still furious at his treatment of Freedman. It’s descended into Parish asking other fans to grass up the Twitter bullies so he can set the force of the law on them and also ban them from Selhurst for life. Palace players have also got themselves in Twitter fest arguments about their commitment following the St Patricks Day Rout.

Holloway ,apparently, IS a West Country idiot- he got the tactics wrong - the substitutions wrong - he complained at getting his coat wet while thousands of Palace stood in the soaking wet in abject humiliation - he also dismissed the game as just another game and he doesn’t get the rivalry – Gus does! Fans are turning on fans on the internet as they argue about the defeat.

Some now say we aren’t their true rivals – others disagree. To the game itself – they bossed it until we scored ! we shouldn’t have scored – we are cheating diving injury feigning nancy boys – the ref gave everything to us – it rained – the pitch was wet which suited our hoof ball style – it shouldn’t have rained – it was the wrong rain – they got wet we didn’t.

Kuszczak should be arrested for inciting a riot – the vertical finger pointing Zaha of last week apparently forgotten – Williams ran the show – their fullbacks had bad games – Dikgacoi should never play for them again.

We never sang – they didn’t like our songs – we left early – they never leave early – the Palace who did leave early got held back by Police in the rain – The Police marched them too far aimlessly up & down Queens Road pre match – post match The Police made them stand on Falmer station in the rain – it was cold – it had puddles on it – it never rains in Croydon.

Meanwhile at the Selhurst beamback all was not well – apparently the score was the same as at the Amex – they didn’t like that –more people turned up than expected – a Selhurst first! - the picture quality was poor – the beer ran out – it was too expensive (£15) – the food was shite – they lost 3-0.

And so it goes on and on – and to think we suffered a heartbreaking last minute 2-3 defeat at Withdean , the 5-0 & 3-0 defeats at Selhurst and the 1-3 Amex humiliation. We were upset and down but I don’t recall us turning on each other to this degree – some Clubs just don’t have any class.
You're not enjoying this are you?

:lolol:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Loving the one by MarkJB 1989

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
:clap:

Top Post Major :thumbsup:
Agree.
Major, more stuff like this, less stuff on attendance figures. top post :clap:
Pah, ignore them Major, you post what you like.
Atmosphere was for game was awful, from both sets of fans :(
As others have said it sounds very different depending on where you sit. On the few occasions when the Palace fans all sang together in the first half, it was as loud as I've ever heard the away fans, and it was louder than the north stand (I sit ESU, near the north). And overall, that's probably the best atmosphere I've ever hear from the home fans since Doncaster :shurg: (purely because it's easy to sing when you score 3 goals in quick succession, and the result is safe)

I can can honestly say I didn't hear the north stand until about 5 minutes to go.
I'm not sure why you heard them then. It really is difficult for the south stand to hear the north.

But I've never seen so many fans leave early when they are 3 up!!!
In regards to people leaving early, it's just an unfortunate consequence of the stadium being so far from the city centre. People learned from the first few games that everyone leaving at the same time is travel chaos - so the elderly, or those with kids, or whatever other reasons, often leave a few minutes before the final whistle.
That is the reality. You can either leave and jump on a train, or see the end and (if you can't run for the train) join the end of a massive queue and wait for the 4th or 5th train. I can't remember so many queuing for trains at any other ground (except Wembley).

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
People learned from the first few games that everyone leaving at the same time is travel chaos - so the elderly, or those with kids, or whatever other reasons, often leave a few minutes before the final whistle.

Its not travel chaos, its organised structured and managed queueing. I have queued at stadiums all over the country, why does our queueing get more negative vibe than any of these?

What stadium anywhere in the country has a station 100m from the ground, a fast dual carriageway next door, parking on and off campus, standard bus routes north and south within 300m, and 3 park and rides dedicated to match day traffic?

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I stayed for the duration as always , walked at normal pace to Falmer station and straight onto a conveniently waiting train to Brighton .

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Its not travel chaos, its organised structured and managed queueing. I have queued at stadiums all over the country, why does our queueing get more negative vibe than any of these?

What stadium anywhere in the country has a station 100m from the ground, a fast dual carriageway next door, parking on and off campus, standard bus routes north and south within 300m, and 3 park and rides dedicated to match day traffic?

Totally agree, the poor transport links are a myth.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Yep, well played Quentins. No complaints from me either, Our defence was all over the show.

As commented above both sets of fans were quiet, Got to be the midday KO.

Probably see you guys in the playoffs. And Major thats your first post to make me smile, Keep it up old boy.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

Because Brighton fans love a good moan. Some of the people moaning after the game (Brighton fans) were unbelievable... We had just won 3-0 for Christ sake.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Agree.
That is the reality. You can either leave and jump on a train, or see the end and (if you can't run for the train) join the end of a massive queue and wait for the 4th or 5th train. I can't remember so many queuing for trains at any other ground (except Wembley).

1. West Ham (upton Park 30 min queue regulalrly)
2. Arsenal (I walk down to Highbury and Islington then usually 10 min wait, but if you queue for Arsenal tube it's more like 20-25 mins).
3. Chelsea (long queues for Fulham Broadway (although its a while since I went).

Like these top teams, we now get big crowds. Get used to it. Or you could stay for some refreshment and walk on to a train half an hour later, things you can only comfortably do at these top London grounds if you have club level seats.

PG

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
1. West Ham (upton Park 30 min queue regulalrly)
2. Arsenal (I walk down to Highbury and Islington then usually 10 min wait, but if you queue for Arsenal tube it's more like 20-25 mins).
3. Chelsea (long queues for Fulham Broadway (although its a while since I went).
I've never been to any of those :) So do any of them leave early?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Also what was your guys view on Jonny Williams? Holloway taking him off at half time has caused a bit of a stir...

Thought he was the man around whom anything decent you created revolved (granted, that wasn't much). We were talking about him in the first half and commenting that he seemed to be the only one who was making an effort- I accept that Zaha was doing his billion stepovers routine, but it wasn't really getting him anywhere and the rest of the time he spent throwing Tiny Tears tantrums with us, the referee and his own team mates.

While I can't say I felt particularly threatened by Williams's efforts, he was nonetheless the most likely creator of something good, so I was pleased and surprised when he was taken off. The idea of Phillips coming on made me nervous because he has a bad habit of scoring scrappy goals against us, so I was even more pleased to note how utterly ineffective he was, sitting out on the left, miles from Murray.

So, thanks, Holloway :thumbsup:

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
If anybody watched match of the day on Saturday you could see that man united, who were beating reading to effectively seal the title, had essentially emptied their stands with around 5 minutes to go. It happens EVERYWHERE.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

Exactly, I have been to grounds like Portsmouth, Bournemouth, Southampton, Watford, Ipswich, Leicester, Tottenham and West Ham and many more, that have taken up to an hour to get away from the area around the grounds. I really cannot see with the current crowds at the Amex, that getting away from there is any worse than the grounds listed.

I think too many fans have been spoilt by Withdean where if you lived locally you could be home in under 30 minutes from the final whistle. I am very happy with our current situation and tell me, what is so important on a regular basis that you have to get home for? Now and again you may have to leave early to attend a function and that is fully understandable.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here