[Albion] Maty Ryan - analysis & discussion

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Doesn't really matter who comes in, they're not going to get any more protection from the current crop of defenders than Maty does

You don’t think a vociferous big keeper who came for crosses and could reach (and sometimes save) shots into the top corners from shots outside the box wouldn’t give the defenders more confidence? OK then :shrug:

I am convinced (from what my eyes have told me) that Maty has not had a good season, others think he has. All about opinions but I think he has gone backwards this season.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Maybe Ryan's p*ssed because he feels that, after the altercation with Maupay and Connolly, more support and understanding (including Potter's, in public) has been focused towards Maupay than himself.

The Albion

Apr 15, 2019
Ryan was this week named Socceroos captain (announced as part of the FIFA The Best voting) so I would imagine that this news has added some additional pressure on him to be receiving regular game time.

As the new captain you would want to be setting an example and proving to the rest of the national team squad that you’re worthy.

Based on this alone I would imagine a January transfer would be likely.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Most of whom should have gone in the Summer, including Sanchez, which would have changed everything.

Of course Sanchez could grab this opportunity and never look back.

IF he s good enough He might just do that ! I hope he does tbf
The opportunity has arisen, due to circumstances possibly unforeseen at the start of the season ?
OR is there pressure from above Because they saw room for improvement in MR he s only 28
That has not occurred ?
Young for a keeper Consistent if not a game changer I wish MR well if he departs
But GP s comments suggest it’s RS chance to shine

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Ryan was this week named Socceroos captain (announced as part of the FIFA The Best voting) so I would imagine that this news has added some additional pressure on him to be receiving regular game time.

As the new captain you would want to be setting an example and proving to the rest of the national team squad that you’re worthy.

Based on this alone I would imagine a January transfer would be likely.

Regular game time? FFS He's been dropped for two games.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You don’t think a vociferous big keeper who came for crosses and could reach (and sometimes save) shots into the top corners from shots outside the box wouldn’t give the defenders more confidence? OK then :shrug:

I am convinced (from what my eyes have told me) that Maty has not had a good season, others think he has. All about opinions but I think he has gone backwards this season.

If memory serves, which admittedly it may not, when Maty first arrived, his first few games were marked by Sod's Law, in that practically every goal he conceded was placed in just such a spot that a keeper with a much longer reach would have equally failed to stop. Think there's an element of that at play here. He's not suddenly become a bad keeper any more than Dunk has suddenly become a poor defender. But the overall dynamics have certainly changed at the back, and not for the better. IMHO, like

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If memory serves, which admittedly it may not, when Maty first arrived, his first few games were marked by Sod's Law, in that practically every goal he conceded was placed in just such a spot that a keeper with a much longer reach would have equally failed to stop. Think there's an element of that at play here. He's not suddenly become a bad keeper any more than Dunk has suddenly become a poor defender. But the overall dynamics have certainly changed at the back, and not for the better. IMHO, like

As happened with Stockdale too when he arrived. I am not convinced all the shots Ryan has conceded this season have been un saveable. As I say, it’s opinions, I may or may not be right but it’s how I feel

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If memory serves, which admittedly it may not, when Maty first arrived, his first few games were marked by Sod's Law, in that practically every goal he conceded was placed in just such a spot that a keeper with a much longer reach would have equally failed to stop. Think there's an element of that at play here. He's not suddenly become a bad keeper any more than Dunk has suddenly become a poor defender. But the overall dynamics have certainly changed at the back, and not for the better. IMHO, like.
Absolutely. And that strikes me as a damned good reason to make a change. I think giving Sanchez a run of games is a positive move - not doing it would be a classic case of the "If something isn't working just keep on doing it and hope it eventually does" plan of bad management.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Absolutely. And that strikes me as a damned good reason to make a change. I think giving Sanchez a run of games is a positive move - not doing it would be a classic case of the "If something isn't working just keep on doing it and hope it eventually does" plan of bad management.

Agreed
MR has lost his brick wall D&D knew that Every ball They had to deal with it
MR was not coming for it SO they did
It’s that consistency and understanding built up over time That means everyone knows their job
BUT The whole dynamic has changed
Zonal marking etc
It takes time to build up that intuitive understanding between team mates
We are a work in progress
Moving in the right direction IMHO
Expect a few bumps in the road
Hopefully the creases are being ironed out in training

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agreed
MR has lost his brick wall D&D knew that Every ball They had to deal with it
MR was not coming for it SO they did
It’s that consistency and understanding built up over time That means everyone knows their job
BUT The whole dynamic has changed
Zonal marking etc
It takes time to build up that intuitive understanding between team mates
We are a work in progress
Moving in the right direction IMHO
Expect a few bumps in the road
Hopefully the creases are being ironed out in training

Totally agree but I feel one context changing which reverberates through all the following points:-

'MR wasn't coming for it because they did'.

Horses for courses - now the course has changed.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I haven't seen anything to think that Maty has become a bad keeper this season. I feel he could have done better with some of the shots against him, but as with all stoppers, if they drop a ricket then it's highlighted and played to death on social media/telly. With young Sanchez coming in he seems to have a calming influence on the back three/four.....plus his kicking is sooooo much better

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I find the whole thing quite intriguing especially Potter's comments re Maty wanting to be more involved. He's only missed two games, and set to miss a third so not quite sure what he's getting at ??? Makes me wonder if the club are trying to force him out the door or whether Ryan is trying to push for a move.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Maybe its a simple as he (and/or his wife and family) simply want to go home to Oz where it's warm and dry?

Maybe Mooy has been on the phone regaling him with tales of who-knows-what?

mike1901

May 12, 2017
I find the whole thing quite intriguing especially Potter's comments re Maty wanting to be more involved. He's only missed two games, and set to miss a third so not quite sure what he's getting at ??? Makes me wonder if the club are trying to force him out the door or whether Ryan is trying to push for a move.
Think their may be more to this,
May be re the problems earlier on in the season with Maupay. Hope I’m wrong though, it’s better to have harmony in the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports