Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan - analysis & discussion

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Somethings just not right about this, GP is nothing if not pragmatic but when asked if Mat will ever play for the club again GP answer I can't see into the future!

Last match not even on the bench!

He's played nearly all our matches for four years then stops, not even in the squad!
GP gave him his chance to improve, he got dropped for Spurs came back in and played worse not better.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Has anyone done a serious analysis of how many points Ryan may have lost us this season? How many points through obvious howlers? How many points through goals he might have been expected to save?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Ryan's omission from the matchday squad, may have as much to do with what has been going on behind the scenes, as his form on the pitch.

If it was solely down to the latter, then surely he would still be on the bench.

We will probably never know the true reason.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ryan's omission from the matchday squad, may have as much to do with what has been going on behind the scenes, as his form on the pitch.

If it was solely down to the latter, then surely he would still be on the bench.

We will probably never know the true reason.

Quite amazing how many fans don’t realise we have paid staff at the club who deal with the psychological side of players.....maybe he’s not up to playing at the moment for other reasons ?

Nah....easier to post ‘he’s shit’ and move on to the next target. [emoji2369][emoji2369]

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Quite amazing how many fans don’t realise we have paid staff at the club who deal with the psychological side of players.....maybe he’s not up to playing at the moment for other reasons ?

Nah....easier to post ‘he’s shit’ and move on to the next target. [emoji2369][emoji2369]

Exactly. The venom in the negative comments is too much IMO, against a good team player whose performances really helped keep us in the Premier League for the first seasons.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Has anyone done a serious analysis of how many points Ryan may have lost us this season? How many points through obvious howlers? How many points through goals he might have been expected to save?

I would guess not much more than most goalkeepers, Brighton fans have decided that he has let in every goal scored against us, with constant 'should he have saved that threads' When 90% of premier league keepers wouldn't have.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Exactly. The venom in the negative comments is too much IMO, against a good team player whose performances really helped keep us in the Premier League for the first seasons.

I would guess not much more than most goalkeepers, Brighton fans have decided that he has let in every goal scored against us, with constant 'should he have saved that threads' When 90% of premier league keepers wouldn't have.

Looking forward to the haters providing the list of real howlers.......maybe a couple in all his time with us ?

Could have done better ? A few, like most keepers and he’s not been at the top of his game for a while now.

Deserving of the abuse he gets on here from some ? Never in a million years.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Looking forward to the haters providing the list of real howlers.......maybe a couple in all his time with us ?

Could have done better ? A few, like most keepers and he’s not been at the top of his game for a while now.

Nope Not from me MR has been solid & consistent keeper Very few real howlers
Good servant to the club But No real match winning saves either
Just think the club have decided it’s time to give RS a chance
More than happy if MR stays and fights for his place
But I don’t really see it happening With the noises being made by the club

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Nope Not from me MR has been solid & consistent keeper Very few real howlers
Good servant to the club But No real match winning saves either
Just think the club have decided it’s time to give RS a chance
More than happy if MR stays and fights for his place
But I don’t really see it happening With the noises being made by the club

Really sounds like there are other issues to me, but like everyone else I’d be speculating. I’d put my money on him going home, or much closer to home, soon. Certainly messaging from the club is very pro-Sánchez

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I started advocating dropping Ryan last season, but it was never personal. I've always tried to be careful not to speak personally about a player, my opinions on them are based entirely upon what they do on the pitch. That's all there is for us to judge them on. Ryan dropped below the required standard some time last season, at the absolute latest, and his being replaced is overdue but I'm not slagging the man off. All the best to him for wherever he goes next.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If MR has made noises that he would like to head off - possibly home - then I totally understand the GP decision. Sanchez looks ready now.

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011

True. The bitterness and anger some express towards our own players is downright ugly and cannot possibly improve individual performances or the overall atmosphere of the team and club. I know the same applies at other clubs and is a lot worse at some, but that doesn't make the boo boys/girls (at games or fuming at their keyboards) any more endearing.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
True. The bitterness and anger some express towards our own players is downright ugly and cannot possibly improve individual performances or the overall atmosphere of the team and club. I know the same applies at other clubs and is a lot worse at some, but that doesn't make the boo boys/girls (at games or fuming at their keyboards) any more endearing.

Exactly. I don’t respond to most of it as winds me up. Not sure what kind of mindset you need to be in to start threads like ‘hope that’s the end of Connolly’ etc. We’ve got several who seem to get off on only criticising something........

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
And there you have it. Harvey Barnes scores a great goal against United and Glenn Hoddle spends 5 minutes trying to explain why De Gea should have saved it. you have to feel sorry for Goalkeepers now they're blamed for every goal scored.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
There's more to goalkeeping than saves. Mark Schwarzer was close to immobile and seldom made spectacular diving, fingertip saves, but his strength was in organising his defence and taking crosses as early as possible to reduce the number of shots he faced. Take the Southampton game. Yes, a taller goalkeeper might have been able to reach their first goal but equally a better organiser might have got Veltman better-positioned to block the run. Equally, for the penalty someone else might have yelled at Solly to cover back quicker so that he got his challenge in much further outside the box, or got Webster across instead.

As for coming for crosses, as anyone who has played as a defender at any level of football will tell you, if you don't trust the goalkeeper behind you, you're done for. They have to be in charge and I wonder if Ryan really is.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And there you have it. Harvey Barnes scores a great goal against United and Glenn Hoddle spends 5 minutes trying to explain why De Gea should have saved it. you have to feel sorry for Goalkeepers now they're blamed for every goal scored.

Narrative innit.

Had the goal (I've not seen as am watching Be Water) been against Liverpool or Chelsea it would have been a 'wonder goal'.
Whereas De Gea or Pickford it's the keepers fault.

Just NSC on a bigger scale.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
There's more to goalkeeping than saves. Mark Schwarzer was close to immobile and seldom made spectacular diving, fingertip saves, but his strength was in organising his defence and taking crosses as early as possible to reduce the number of shots he faced. Take the Southampton game. Yes, a taller goalkeeper might have been able to reach their first goal but equally a better organiser might have got Veltman better-positioned to block the run. Equally, for the penalty someone else might have yelled at Solly to cover back quicker so that he got his challenge in much further outside the box, or got Webster across instead.

As for coming for crosses, as anyone who has played as a defender at any level of football will tell you, if you don't trust the goalkeeper behind you, you're done for. They have to be in charge and I wonder if Ryan really is.

Perhaps Maty should have shouted at Maupay, Connolly and Ali to score, then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here